wood flute

I'm looking for some info and insight to making wooden flutes. I've done my fair share of woodworking over the years, and my nephew (8 yrs old) has recently been joining me in the basement to watch and help out where he can do so safely. We made a flower pot together and now we are searching for the next project to tackle. I've never attempted to make an wood instrument before, but it sounds like fun and a nice project for him and I to make our own flutes. Anyone have any thoughts on where I can find a good quality website with plans and detailed instructions to make a flute? A book would be a great resourse as well if anyone has one they are fond of. Does not have to be anything too fancy or complicated, but I don't even know where to start looking so any help and advice would be great! Thanks!!

You may want to approach it as a building/making/thinking process lesson. Start with the easiest and get quick results so he can mess around with something pretty much immediately, then make new and improved versions, maybe with different materials.
You could make a test flute out of PVC (I know, sacrilege!) http://www.markshep.com/flute/Pipe.html http://www.cwo.com/~ph_kosel/designs.html
Then bamboo http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/kramer42.html
How about a pan flute? http://www.panflutejedi.com/jean-paul-tutorial.html
and finally... a drumroll please, maestro
a NEANDERTHAL FLUTE! http://www.greenwych.ca/fl-compl.htm
Great project to do. Keep us posted. Take pictures. Have fun.

Not at all. I made 2 Irish D whistles a few years back, one copper, the other PVC. The PVC pipe sounded sweeter. It was a lot easier to work, too, important if you've never done such a project.
Spray paint looks nice on PVC, especially if rubbed out.

Sacrilege! Burn the witch! This is a woodworking group - at least I'm a penitent blasphemer. You're recalcitrant! ;)
wrote: *trim*

Everyone here *knows* you shouldn't use PVC where air will pass through. DAGS on "exploding PVC". For safety's sake, use copper or galvanized pipe.
Puckdropper

a while back I shipped some white cedar blanks to a guy who hand carved flutes. don't know the procedure but cedar was his wood of choice. ross

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/index.html#Top%20of%20list http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/1480_native-american-flute.htm http://www.sideblown.com/Related.html http://www.dbeweb.com/kayak/pages/flute.html http://www.markshep.com/flute/books/Simple.html
Google says it found 234,000 entries on "how to make a wood flute"
That should keep ya busy........;-)
Bob S.