Wiring and plug for a 3 hp cabinet saw

Phil-In-Mich. wrote: ...

Well, if it has the manufacturer's tag on it, number of phase will be marked. And if it doesn't have the tag, I'm not buying any motor for anything other than junk, basically, unless there's a way to test the operation at what is being claimed is the operating voltage/phase...

--

Reply to
dpb

3HP motor (Jet JTAS10) on a 240V/20A circuit now for more than 5 years without a single trip, nuisance or otherwise.. I don't know where all this "gotta have a huge breaker to avoid nuisance trips" BS is coming from unless they're thinking about a 110V circuit.

There could be some justification in that case, 'cause a 110V/20A circuit might be a little undersized for the FLA of a 3HP motor.

3HP = 2238 Watts = 20.35 Amps at 110 Volts (ignoring Power Factor, Efficiency, etc.)

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

INRUSH!

Totally dependant on application.

Most wood working applications do not start under load, so the application is not that severe.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Then the relevance of factoring it into your "recommendation" in this discussion is...?

Reply to
LRod

CYA.

For the amount of effort required to do the wiring, makes no sense trying to cut corners with tinkertoy components to save a couple of $.(Wire & wiring devices only)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A 20A circuit in the case of the OP certainly isn't "cutting corners." In fact, it's more than adequate. 30A is decidedly overkill for 3HP @

240V (and will get Rick Christopherson positively apopleptic--and rightly so). YOU recommended 40A. CYA? Please. That was just plain nuts.
Reply to
LRod

That is why I said, "but if you want to up it all to 30 amp breaker, 10 gauge wire and 30 amp socket, plug and cord I would not have a problem with that either." My intent was everything was to be 30 amp. I suppose it could be translated otherwise. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Right, I gotcha -- but the OP had already stated his intent to use a 20A receptacle, and I wanted to emphasize that that was a no-go with a 30A circuit. Sorry for any confusion.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's a single phase. (Indicated on the info plate along with the other stuff.)

Reply to
David Todtman

Unless you're in Canada, and perhaps other countries where 3ph is

600v. I just had a lesson on this recently.

Jeffo

long time lurker, occasional poster

Reply to
Jeffo