wine bottle balancer help please

Can any anyone guide me to some "wine bottle balancer" plans. This is the piece of wood about 10" long with a 45o edge at one end and a hole for the neck of the bottle at the other end. When the bottle neck is put thru the hole it balances on the 45o edge and seems to defy gravity as it is suspended horizontally above the table top. I have tried cutting and recutting and all I have is a piece of wood where the hole keeps getting bigger and bottle dangerously looser. Different types of wood (density) also affect the balance.

I can find lots of pics on Google but no specific measurements. Appreciate any help, Jaz.

Reply to
J. Dent

Perfect Thank you, Jaz.

At least two in the archives.

Where the choice is between only violence and cowardice, I would advise violence.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 6 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like.

J. Dent

Make it over-long. Cut the hole.

Now try balancing it, working your fingers along the edge of the strip, until you find the balance point. Cut the strip off 1" longer than this, and repeat the balancing trick (removing the wood changes the balance slightly).

To make it easier to balance, use thicker timber. It looks better (sic) if the strip tapers to a thicker foot from a narrow strip.

Don't expect it to balance Cotes du Rhone etc. - the bottles are a different shape.

Andy Dingley