Why is a Frog on a plane called a Frog?

Reminds me of when I was working as a mechanical engineer. We were working with a company in Memphis, TN on a steel part that was going to be forged. The company was Conley Frog and Switch. Not knowing rail terminology at the time, I thought it was an unusual name.
todd
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Railroading possibly made the term more common, but there were things called frogs long before railroads.

Such as ...

Perhaps ...
Part of a violin bow
Part of a horse-drawn mouldboard plough
Device to attach a sword/scabbard/bayonet/axe to a belt or sling

The bit at the end? (not hand end)

Didn't know any of those.
Why do you suppose so many bits in so many different applications are called frog?

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Probably because they reminded people of a frog shape/form.
The typical scenario is for someone, unfamiliar with an item, to compare it to something that reminds them by some characteristic(s). The other common scenario is for someone to hear someone mention the item in question, and not knowing the correct spelling or pronounciation, morph the word into something that it sounded like or that they are more familiar with.

None of them look like a frog. Bet there's something else.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Kind of like arguing the results of a Rorshach test. The comparison characteristic just has to remind someone - it's not designed to resemble an animal.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

We answered that!
The part on the tip of a bow is just the tip of the bow, the frog is the par that adjusts the tension.
Bush Carpenter wrote:

Oh hell, you should have made him work for it.

Frogs. :)

They could have called them Newts. :o)
Lobby Dosser wrote:

If you don't have one, now is a good time to get a copy of the Websters 3rd International dictionary.

Yes, I can see that now. Good suggestion, thanks for replying. Probably explains it other uses as well.
Thanks to all who attempted to answer my question. TWS

Because it gets in your throat.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

bob kater wrote:

No body paints with a frog!

Because if you can get SWMBO to kiss it, it will transform into a L-N.
-Leuf

Seems I read somewhere it is called a frog because it is something which is lodged in the throat, i.e. "a frog in the throat". Probably a frog is just a lump of something, be it a wedge, a hoof, or a wad of snot.
Gary
gary in virginia (NOSPAM NOSPAM NOSPAM) wrote:

Or, more likely, the croak emitting from someone's mouth was playfully attributed to an animal that croaks being lodged in the throat. Like a frog.