Why I Never Wear Safety Goggles...

Page 2 of 3

"Puckdropper" <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message wrote:

Happened on these the other day and don't know any more than the Claims: Dewalt DPG82-11C
Saw them at Amazon.
Add pictures here
✖

Puts me in mind . . . . about '64, doing 2 wk. SeaBee reserve, another man & me were redoing the floor in the "Enlisted Mens Lake Club" on Crane Naval Ammunition Depot in southern Indiana . Cleared out, floor stripped, we were nailintg down new 1/4" masonite unederlayment using those (*&^%^%#$$# tempered ring nails. Every so often you'd hit a hard spot in the masonite & the nail would do a "ricochet" from the hammer to the walls, to etc. etc. We were working with our backs to each other when I had one go "ping" & disappear, but I never heard it hit anything, then noticed my partner had quit nailing, looked around to see him with the nail perpendicular to his temple, just sunk in to the first ring. He very carefully pulled it out, we had sort of a "sheepish" laugh, then moved a little farther apart.
Norm
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 19, 3:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yep. I experienced my epiphany while standing in front of, what is often considered a pretty benign tool, my wood lathe.
I was roughing a 18" to 24" length of 2-1/2" square stock and had it pretty well rounded when "thunk". I didn't see the stock leave the lathe; or anything else except a vision flash and blur, and felt my head get jolted back sharply. When I regained my senses my hands still held the lathe tool in work position but the work-stock was resting across my arms where it landed after it hit my shield. Then I felt a little warm moisture running down my nose. The work-stock had hit my face shield so hard it deflected against my glasses and cut the bridge of my nose. The front of the head band also abraded my forehead slightly. The face shield panel was not broken but it had an eye-level scuff that required it to be replaced.
Apparently a weak spot in the dead end of the work-stock chipped out allowing it to be thrown out from the live end. It happened 4-5 years ago but I still get a chill when I think what could have happened if the shield had not been in place.
RonB
Add pictures here
✖

Just one of the reasons I don't use a miter saw in the shop any more. A face shield does not cover everything,;~) I have been hit in the arms and stomach and that too makes you stop and think about what you are doing. I find that holding small parts with your hand is a dangerious proposition. I typically will cut every thing on the TS or BS these days and will use a pencil erasor to hold the small parts.
Add pictures here
✖
"Leon" wrote:

---------------------------------- A hand screw clamp to hold small pieces is your friend around a band saw.
There is no place for small pieces around a table saw unless you have a sled and clamps.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Agreed. Had a small piece kick back and hit me in the dust mask a few weeks ago. (Last time I'm cutting such a small piece (2"x4") on that table saw.)
I've got smaller power saws for cutting the really small stuff. The HF Mini-chop saw has a clamp to hold the piece put and works pretty well. I've also got a mini table saw that'll handle pieces down to about 1/2" safely. (Keep a push block handy, that's way too close to the blade for your fingers!)
Puckdropper

✖

I am talking pieces that are exact fit 1/2" square and diamond sized. Too small for a clamp. The keeper pieces are so small that they must be on the waste side of the cut. No excitement.
Add pictures here
✖
"Leon" wrote:

------------------------------- Had a similar situation.
Built a carrier sled from 1/4 ply and a De-Sta-Co clamp.
Kept the hands away from blade area.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Small parts can be held with brads, hotglue, double-sided tape, toggle clamps, and pencils. If I ever attack a blade with a small part in my hand, it's held very loosely. If the part catches, it goes into the blade -without- my finner, thankyouverymuch.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Add pictures here
✖
Snip

Exactly, but my recent project with small parts had a majority of pieces that were too small to attach. The finished pieces had to be the "fall to the side, waste". I had 30 or so of those small pieces and had no pieces that were tossed because of something going wrong or getting nicked by the blade. I did have several diamond shaped pieces that were 1.75 x 1.5" that had to be cut in half and some of those halves had to be cut in half again. Most parts were cut using a miter gauge set at 30 degrees, the smallest parts were cut on a sled using a pencil eraser to hold the diamonds that were to be halved and quartered. No excitement.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4851356181/
Add pictures here
✖
Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245 /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011294447/in/photostream/
Add pictures here
✖

WOW!!
I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts for grain and color!
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/21/2010 5:11 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

They are even more beautiful in person. Ask me how I know ... :)
If I'm not mistaken, the walnut is from a stash he and I picked up in AR last year, or the year before. They were basically 4 x 4 black walnut posts 4' to 6' long ... we brought back a pickup load. There were lots of checks and cracks, but some beautiful walnut if you know how, and have the tools, to get to it ...
(Leon presented me with one of those boxes exactly like that on my b'day last month ... it is so damn gorgeous in person that you can't keep your hands off of it!)
Our birthdays are a couple of days apart ... I got the best deal, by far! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Beautiful. And more importantly, what do you keep in the box?
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message news:

His sewing stuff. ;~)
Add pictures here
✖

I can believe it. I Really Did touch the screen!
And I took note of your drive by ...
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:48:30 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Was the Eagles "Hotel California" song playing in the background, while the warm smell of colitas rose up through the air?
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Add pictures here
✖

I wish! Got ill middle of last week and ever since there's been a Boston Pops military tunes playing in my left ear. They break now and then for something from Tom Jones ...
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:41:03 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

You, sir, just qualified for Mental Health bennies. Sounds like Hell. I'm happy with the screech of tinnitus, TYVM.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:11:53 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

PREVERT!