Why I hate Norm Abrams

Page 4 of 7
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I have a certain level of respect for roofers, especially here in Texas. Being on the roof in the hot Texas sun (which I have done) is one of the LAST places I'd want to spend my every working day.
Steve Turner wrote:

The hot tar roofers get my vote. Texas or Arizona. In the middle of summer.

Rob Leatham

My line is "Roofing in Texas in August is as close to hell as I ever want to get." Been there, done that, never again. -- Doug

Dang Devin, sanding and applying a finish to a new piece of furniture is tedious as well, not so much once you get the hang if it.

Paint stripper greatly speeds that process.
Andy

Paint stripper greatly speeds that process.
Andy
Care to explaing how paint stripper speeds painting or applying a finsih on a new piece of furniture?

I hope the DIY's come out on the Internet. I have already seen some pretty useful ones.
What I really want to see is something you have to bring home and assemble that comes with a link where you can watch the assembly of the exact product on the Internet.

Do you think that a Chinese instructional video is going to help much? LOL

Yes and one that honestly says "If piece A does not fit easily into the slot of bracket B, use a piece of sandpaper and/or a small rasp/ file and rub down the rough edges of A so it will fit. DO NOT enlarge slot. I needing to tap A into place use something soft before 'Gently' tapping A into place with hammer or similar tool. Use enclosed Allen wrench to tighten patent fasteners nuts.
Definitions: a) Sandpaper (Heavy paper coated with glued abrasive such as sand). b) Hammer (Nailing tool with metal 'head' and wooden of fibreglass handle). c)Rasp/file. Household abrasive tool (See larger version of nail file etc.). d) Allen wrench (Hexagonal 'six sided' small tool to fit indentation in head of patent fasteners).
But number of times have been asked to assist people assemble some items, who don't even have a hammer or screwdriver in the house! So one ends up using a dinner knife to take out a screw or going home to get one's own tools!
One time, some 50+ years ago, though I was 'thrown for loop' when a senior gentleman kept asking me for a 'Turn screw' (Old Irish I think, i.e. Screwdriver.) Come to think of it that makes more sense than the word 'screwdriver'. Cos you turn a screw whether you are putting it in or taking it out!
Agree Norm Abrams time 30 minutes. Mine two weeks plus, plus, in between fixing the house, doing chores, visiting family, servicing motor vehicle etc. etc. Must go round and check trees for damage and if any water came through basement windows during last night's storm (Tropical storm/hurricane 'Bill') which quickly passed over here last night. Power, TV and phone survived but only thing had to reset this morning was the microwave!
"stan" wrote
But number of times have been asked to assist people assemble some items, who don't even have a hammer or screwdriver in the house! So one ends up using a dinner knife to take out a screw or going home to get one's own tools! ================= Yep, I was part of a business startup once. A bunch of guys in newly rented offices. And I brought some tools in a crate in case they were needed. I suddenly became the local tool store and general fix it wizard. My qualifications?? I actually owned some tools and brought them to work! It was a constant battle to get the tools back. Everyone wanted to use the tools, but nobody wanted to give them back.
When I first left home and was working a a minimum wage job a a dishwasher, I saved my pennies and bought tools from the local hardware store. Later, when building rustic furniture with few tools, I would do jobs just to buy tools. I knew tools were important. It is amazing the number of folks who don't know this. I have helped a number of folks buy some basic tools for the house/apartment. They did not know what to buy or where to buy it.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Been there done that, lost the screwdriver.
I worked at a computer manufacturer under contract. I finally put a stop to tool theft by buying each of the engineers a small tool kit with all the essentials for servicing 'our' model of computer.
That was the smartest 500 bucks I ever spent because It stopped the chronic interruptions and freed up the time I spent looking for tools that had gone walkabout.
--Winston

After a visit to an auto repair shop I found a screwdriver inside the engine compartment. It was on a small ledge/lip in front of the radiator. There was no way to get it out. I drove around with it and it never fell out in the years I had that truck.

BTDT, bought the 10 screwdrivers, whatched 8 go missing next day.
Theft of workplace tools is a plague, second only to being ripped-off by tool vendors. I had a viable plan to stop tool theft in the work place, but since the US no long has any workplaces.... :|
nb
Winston wrote:

I've probably shared this story on here before- one summer, as a kid, I was stuck with the duty of being the key-keeper for the tool crib on a apartment complex construction site. 'Borrowed' tools never seemed to come back. After about the 3rd time replacing missing shovels, chains, 12-lb sledges, and such, the next time I made a run to the supply house, I also got a couple cans of dayglo pink spray paint, like they mark pipe locations with. I put big splashes of pink on all the tools, and the MIA rate went WAY down. It also made it a lot easier to spot orphan tools left laying around the site by the casual labor temp crews, most of who vanished after their first payday.
I may be a lazy slob of questionable ethics, but I always return borrowed tools, and if I lose it or break it, I replace it. Too bad my office mates aren't like that. I only take cheap tools in there, to keep in the briefcase under the cubicle 'desk'.
-- aem sends...

I put a circle of red and a circle of green on the handle of my tools. People on the job got used to seeing those colors, and I would get tools back from the honest people.
People from other trades even knew who they belonged to.
Metspitzer wrote:

Red and Green, huh? Did they cover them with duct tape? :^/
-- aem sends...

I had a similar system. If I loaned a tool out and didn't get it back, I'd turn over heaven and earth to hunt 'em down and reclaim it. If I caught someone absconding with a tool w/o my permission, I read 'em the riot act at full volume in front of the whole production floor. People soon learned my rollaway was not worth it. ;)
nb
aemeijers wrote:

Different context, but one day many moons ago, folk in my office were horrified when I deliberately use a coin to destroy the paint on a stapler I had recieved that day. I kept it in use in the office until it broke about 19 years later!
Remember Tippex? I used that to similar good effect.

I used to send crews to trade shows to man a booth. They had various forms and cards to be filled out by visitors. Pens disappeared almost as soon as they were put out. I think it was mostly a case of absent mindedness. My solution was to have them use stick pens, like the cheap bics, and put them out without the caps. People were less absent minded about putting a pen in their pocket or purse if it had no cap. It worked very well. I've recommended this to chashiers at the grocery store who have a similar problem losing pens when people sign credit card slips. They seem to like it, too.

That's almost been done (remember "Home Improvement?")
The problem with PBS is that it gets a lot of "donations" from the folks who make stuff they install. If they make it look too bad or hard the effective sponsors will not be happy.