Why I hate Norm Abrams

How many rolls of duct tape do you have within arms reach?

Mysterious Traveler

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

I hafta admit, I was impressed with the duct tape/inner tube arm chair. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Are the construction methods approved by the American Duct Tape Counsel as practiced in Lake Wobegon?

BTW, are you aware you can use duct tape to mow your grass?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.

Reply to
Leon

And just maybe, if they find him handy, they'll realize he's good for other services too. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Thanks. that's it. Cute saying, but I never did find it to apply much in real life....

-- aem sends, alone as always...

Reply to
aemeijers

Reply to
Robatoy

I suck at drywall. Sure it looks great when I am finally done, but I really don't have to hold the tolerances of a solid surface countertop. I'm in houses, where drywall crews are going at it, at least a couple of times a week and I clearly see the difference between the hacks and the pros. It's an art.

Reply to
Robatoy

That show has sucked for years now. It was cool in the beginning. Now it is nothing but grand entrances, false dead-lines and stage-craft... and family drama, because we are the voyeurs of human drama and family feuds. We love to slow down at the scene of an accident. Sick.

Reply to
Robatoy

Leon.... it's not real any more. It is the writing crews of Day Of Our Lives...or As The Stomach Turns.

Reply to
Robatoy

Even if the accident is staged.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yup. All stagecraft. Like many of the feuds between celebrities.

Reply to
Robatoy

Agreed, but it would have been impossible to get a pro in for such a small job. I just had to suck it up, and go with it there, I have hired out for bigger jobs.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Yup, the small jobs take just as much sometimes as jobs 3 x the size. You have to haul your gear, load up and clean up. Just like the big jobs. In my case, it doesn't matter if I glue up 7 feet or 11 feet of edging on a countertop. It's a 12-foot sheet regardless. And, in terms of time, I can fabricate a 12-foot job in the same time as a 4-foot (give or take a few extra feet of sanding).. the 4-foot job comes with a customer who can't get her/his head around the price... the 12-foot customer 'gets it' much sooner. Small jobs mostly suck unless I can use a remnant which makes up for the PITA.

Reply to
Robatoy

Chuckle. That is one lesson my father the house designer always tries to impart to his customers- they get the most bang for the buck when they design the house around standard material sizes. He likes to design houses where the floor decking and roof decking use full and half sheets, the joists never need trimming, the foundation only uses full blocks, etc. Wasted materials annoy him.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

My husband has a friend who's having some space bumped out of her

2nd floor--the standard giant shed dormer kind of thing. The original plan was to have the side wall come out to the existing wall, which would have carried the load nicely. She has some other friend who's an architect, who said that the dormer would look better smaller, so now the builder has to transfer the load a couple feet out to the existing wall. The net addition is about 15% smaller than the original plan, and she was surprised that the quote didn't come in at 15% less. She's lucky it isn't more.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

IMO, the architect is right. Shed dormers that go all the way to the outside wall look dumb. My last house was designed like that, but at least it was in the back. Whether the "wasted" space is worth the looks is a matter of opinion. If appearances didn't matter houses would be windowless cubes.

Reply to
krw

In article ,=20 snipped-for-privacy@but.us.chickens says...>=20

things to write about. Does he seriously want Norm to stop the show to drain the compressor?

Sincerely,

Bradley Nailer

Reply to
samson

Norm could quickly read off a laundry list, some of the items being:

Wear nitrile gloves when using yukkie stuff. Drain your compressor. Safety glasses often aren't enough. Wear Goggles. Do NOT use a hair-dryer in the bath tub.

Reply to
Robatoy

Or he could suggest a section to view on his website that contains safety suggestions and run of the mill stuff that users should view on occasion. Stuff that would eat up valuable TV time if he went through it every time on his show.

Reply to
Upscale