why buy?

I had heard about Google and their book scanning so I decided to check it out. I'm not a copyright attorney so don't know if this is legal or not. I guess in theory it is not much different from a library except only one person can 'use' one copy of a book in a library at a time but on google 200 people can all read the same book at the same time.

RayV

Actually there are lawsuits, but none that affect the user.

My guess is that Taunton is giving them permission because the exerpts are pretty full.

Reply to
Toller

I took a look at one of Jeff Jewitt's books and Google's posted about the first four pages of each of the book's sections. It might be something the publishers have agreed to to promote sales?

Reply to
Nova

Thank God for attorneys so we can be warned. Maybe he should start a class action suit. OR maybe he should let it up to the attorneys that are on the publishers payroll. Least but not last chase a few ambulances. Can you tell I dislike bottom feeders?

Reply to
Lee

Wed, Apr 25, 2007, 11:08am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (RayV) doth posteth: I had heard about Google and their book scanning so I decided to check it out. I'm not a copyright attorney so don't know if this is legal or not. I guess in theory it is not much different from a library except only one person can 'use' one copy of a book in a library at a time but on google 200 people can all read the same book at the same time.

Interesting if so. For me, it'd only be hndy or checking the a book's content, to see if I wanted to buy a copy. Nothing like thumbing thru pages in the thinking room, or by candlelight when the power's off

- hard to do that with a computer screen. I certainly wouldn't read omething that long from a screen - if I want to read something, unless it's pretty short, I'll usually print it out and read it - or skip it. I've got loads of links save, for books on-line - and haven't read a one

- because they're all on-line. I like books.

JOAT If you don't ask the right questions, the answers don't matter.

- W.S. Lind

Reply to
J T

Google Books doesn't make every book they scan readable--for some they show the search terms and the paragraph that contains it, while for others they show only a few pages like Amazon does with their previews. How much they show depends on their agreement with the copyright holder if any. Most of the fully browseable books seem to be old enough that the copyright has expired.

Reply to
J. Clarke