Why Being a SoCal WoodDorker Rules

Page 2 of 6
That's sure not enough to justify living there. Then again, there is no good reason to live there.

"CW" writes:

good
I love it, the campaign is working.
Please stay away.
There are already to many of us here.
--
Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Not a problem. You couldn't get me to live in California if you offered me a job paying $300,000,000 a year.
(Well, OK, maybe I'd live there for about two weeks. Just long enough to earn enough to retire on and come home. :)
I wrote:

"Silvan" writes:

me
You obviously haven't checked the cost of living in SoCal, especially the price of housing.
--
Lew

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:31:12 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Cheaper than SE England....
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I could sleep in a tent for two weeks. I could probably stand to go that long without eating too, if it meant I could retire at the end of it. I still say I'd take that deal. Shave 40 years off my work expectancy. :)
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

ah, but at O'Deen pointed out, you can get the same pluses in southern AZ without the minuses of Cali-TaxUsTilWe'reBroke-fornia

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Give it time. AZ always follows CA's lead......
Wait until they start building sport stadiums down your way.
Gary (Phoenix)
I think Northern Cal should become a separate state, since we share little with Lala land. AND please keep Michael Jackson down there.
No way would I be working outside at night this week. Maybe a brisk walk with a jacket on, but no comfortable woodworking outside.
dave
Patrick Olguin wrote:

I take it then that you want San Francisco? You can keep it, it's worse than LA. IIRC that area was the only area that voted to keep Davis. Nuttier than fruitcakes, that bunch!
Glen

Glen responds:

And the Terminator is a better choice? Those of us fortunate enough to be outside CA wait with bated breath to see just what he's going to do...if anything.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

Dat's de guv-uh-natuh now, Bub. :)
Me too. I'm sort of glad to see that the recall went through. I like the idea of being able to say "OK asshole, you're fired" to a bad politician (wish we could fire them all), but I have real doubts about what Ahnuld can do as gov'nor, and I don't think I'd have voted for him. I'm glad I don't live over there to have to find out first hand.
I'm also waiting to see if that bit of "history" in Demolition Man comes true. All it takes is a nice constitutional ammendmant, and then we can have the Prez-un-natuh.
I am of the opinion that any reasonably capable individual can do ANY job in government, providing he/she is neither a lawyer, nor is inflicted with an MBA, both which seem to foster similar self delusion and grandeur.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman wrote:

No it doesn't. This is a complete fallacy. It just means he has more wealthy and influential "friends" that he can help out.
-Jack

Then you must be of the opinion that "any reasonably capable individual can do ANY job", Period. Most government jobs are as difficult and complex as the equivalent non-government job. In my case, I believe that being the Business Manager of a $55 million school district is about the same in complexity and difficulty as being the CFO of most any $55 million services company. In some cases more so as most small services companies have basically one major market and service. In our case, in addition to providing educational services, we:
- Run a transportation system that transports 6,000 children per day to 43 schools (34 of which are private or church related schools), operating 32 buses and 23 vans with a total of 62 employees. Oh and did I mention that we have a window of 2 hours from start to finish in the morning and afternoon - most vehicles making 3 runs in that timeframe.
- Maintain and clean 9 schools, one administration building, one warehouse, in excess of 740,000 square feet of heavily utilized building space, not to mention 3 football fields, 4 soccer fields, 4 baseball fields, 8 tennis courts, one swimming pool, one fieldhouse and 2 tracks. This with a staff of 41 custodians and 6 maintenence employees.
- Serve in excess of 5,000 meals (mostly lunch, but a few hundred breakfasts). Total time for lunch is 1.5 hours at the big schools (3 lunch periods) and 1 hour in the smaller (400 student) schools (2 lunch periods). Oh and we do that for $1.50 per meal ( must admit that cost does not include any rent, but all other costs such as staffing, food, supplies, equipment, benefits, utilities, etc. must be covered).
These along with purchasing, warehousing, tax collection, data processing (our network has over 2,500 computers on it doing everything from CAD to accounting to office productivity to calculus to Reader Rabbit to library services) are just some of the ancillary services that a small government operation like our small school district must perform. Very few corporate entities our size have these types of things to do outside of their main business. Just think how much more complex a real government like the State of CA must be.
Dave Hall
"David Hall" wrote in message

capable individual can do ANY job in

an
As far as MANAGEMENT goes, you bet your sweet ass!
A common trait of yuppie elitists, which outwardly manifests itself in even such tasks as their driving habits, is their ability to delude themselves into believing they are among the exalted few capable of doing these jobs.
As you grow older you will learn that is NOT the case and that you, personally, are expendable to the point that _most_ of those below you could fill your shoes in a heartbeat.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, you are ONLY ever as good as those under you! Don't lose sight of that and you will ultimately succeed. Lose sight of it and you will fail as a human may well count your money in misery in old age.
Been there, done that ... learned it was just as true in the corporate world, and government, as it was in combat.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Charlie Self wrote:

Stupid politicians. I think they should keep the illegal immigrant driver license law. Just use it as bait to arrest the illegals as soon as they show up to take the test - then deport them.
Art

On 25 Nov 2003 13:23:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

If I had been living there at the time, I'd have voted for Mary Carey. Nice tatas. Probably as smart as any politician but with far fewer things to hide. (Or places to hide them.)