Whooooooo!!!! Not quite a gloat, but awesome anyhow!

Page 1 of 2
Hello folks,
Well, I'm officially moved into my new house, and it is WONDERFUL!! After years of working on other people's places and getting my credit polished up until it shines like a new penny, I've finally got a house of my own. To keep it on a woodworking level- It's got not only an excellent basement shop with an oversized door leading directly into the garage, but an 8' x 12' (approximately- we're getting deluged with snow right now so I'm not going to go measure it) shed on a nice foundation with electrical outlets. As far as other stuff goes, it was built in 1946 with Oak framing and floor joists, and was owned by only one family- the lady selling it was 97 years old, and the place still looks like it was just built. All the woodwork is custom-milled natural maple, much of it with fiddleback grain and bird's-eyes- with the exception of the upstairs bedroom, which was trimmed in african mahogany. We're in a town with less than 5000 residents now, but it has two excellent hardware stores, a couple of great resturants, and a couple of lumber suppliers. The place was listed for $73k, and we didn't even bother negotiating the price- nothing else was even close to the condition of this house even in the $150k price range. I'm so happy I could just about bust open! Sorry to go on and on, but it's a big deal for me- I'm sure it's fun for anyone to get their first home, but for a carpenter and woodworker, it's close to a religious experience! Spent $300 at the hardware store today getting all sorts of material to tweak it just the way I'd like it, and even though It's costing me a fair amount of dough and I'm likely to be working continuously for weeks or months on it (it doesn't *need* any work, but it's getting it anyhow) it's great fun! No more downstairs neighbors blasting music until the wee hours of the morning, no more funny smells or cars parked in the backyard, not even a hint of rotted moulding or faulty electrical wiring.... I'm in heaven here- I don't think I've smiled this much in my entire life!
Anyhow, thanks for getting this far (if you did) It's probably not a gloat, but it's a great thing for me, and I figured I'd share. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Can't buy a shack in most areas for that price. If it has a roof on it, you can't go wrong at that price.

Maybe not a gloat, but it sure is nice having your own house. Good luck with it and hope you have many happy years there.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I'd sure rather read this post than about another air nailer accident!
Thanks for sharing your joy!
Patriarch
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:33:41 -0600, Patriarch

Dittos
Thunder

You just bought a shop with built-in living quarters for $73k. Your life is now underway. It IS a gloat, and let me be the first to say You Suck! :)
Owen Lawrence wrote:

Second that. $73,000 with all that custom woodwork stuff? Unless the house is only 800 sq. ft. or something, he sucketh royally.
Well, unless it's crawling with termites or something.
Just wondering which States is he in?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:21:13 -0500, Silvan

Nope, 3 bedrooms and clean as a whistle! :) It was a heck of a price even for rural Wisconsin. My brother bought one for a couple thousand more, and it's got a leaky roof and dry rot in the floor joists. Just a case of being in the right place at the right time, and being willing to move when it was -20 f.

Not even a spiderweb in the place :)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:50:06 -0600, Prometheus

It's sitting on top of clay slurry (that's why they sold it when it's -20 F :-)
[snipperized]
Congratulations! I always think it's wonderful to see somebody embrace a project/future with such enthusiasm, be it a house, the restoration of car/bike or breathing new life into a neglected musical instrument.
Like Edwin, I also couldn't buy much around here for under 100K, so something in the 70's...good on you!
We'll be expecting pictures soon.
0?0
Rob

What city and state?

Bloomer, WI Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Wow. Even that far north, I'da thought you were too close to Eau Claire and the Twin Cities to find anything under a hundred k. NICE find. I'm here struggling with an unattached garashop in Madison where the codes and inspectors make insulating and heating that building an expensive and complicated task. I'm almost ready to concede defeat and put a tiny neandershop in the basement for winters. Hey, if Frank Klauscz could go through his apprenticeship having all the heavy machinery in an unheated room, maybe I can too.
But even while it's good to know that somebody can find a decent house for a decent price, anywhere, in these times, you still suck. :-)
Did you bring a family into it, or are you planning on adding one on later?
Dan

Especially since Bloomer is right next to the Chippewa County forest (a huge hunk of undeveloped forest land for hunting, fishing and whatever else might strike a guy's fancy) I grew up tooling around that forest, and I've still never seen the far side of it, even on an ATV. The folks from the cities love that for thier summer homes, and they *do* drive up the prices.
My apartment had an unattached one-car garage, so I feel your pain! My solution was to get a mini lathe to put in the entranceway, and spend the winter turning. Of course, now I've got the whole basement to play with- I just need to get a dust collector to stick in the garage right away so the wife doesn't get tired of the dust.... of course, she *did* let me have a lathe inside our apartment, so she might not mind anyhow.

Thanks! Lots of looking, and lots of luck. The other ones we looked at were junk piles.

A wife, a dog, and a couple of cats. For now, we're still undecided whether or not we're going to expand the family unit (I've got some nieces and nephews I can borrow, and the wife and I enjoy our quiet and our hobbies)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Congrats! --dave

Congratulations! It's a great feeling to get your own home, and it's nice to see people who still feel an excitement over such things.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Not quite a gloat? Sounds to me like you just scored the score of your life.
--

Roger Shoaf

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:27:52 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"

True... could be a gloat after all. It's not my final house, but it's a damn nice starter untill I get to a point where I can build my own! Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

If you like the neighborhood, give some thought to building on to your house rather than starting from scratch. It appears from your description that the house you bought was built to last.
--

Roger Shoaf