Whoa!

Page 1 of 2
We worked as election workers last election day. Our polling place was the local firehouse.
They had an 8" Milton vise on the bench.
I thought I wanted one. I looked it up on Google.
Whoa! I think I will look for a used one, or another knockoff.
I'm glad they use my tax dollars to buy good stuff. That thing looks like it would last 200 years.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

yah.
I was hoping I'd inherit one or something. I did end up with a blacksmith's post vise... in some ways better. meanwhile I'm making do with a chinese swivel header like this: <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberV55> which is very useable for not too much money.

Wilton or Milton? I'm not trying to correct you, but I get nothing searching Milton... not in 8" anyway. Lots of hits on Wilton though...

Yeah. Wilton. Stupid keyboard!

It might be there 200 years. <G>
I've seen desks and workbenches from the 20's, still in use in phone co. buildings, railroad shops, municipal garages, and firehouses.
One of my local live-in firehouses, built in 1898, has a "duty desk" in the garage area that we believe came with the building. It's been measured by historians several times.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)64379905/ref=sr_1_19/104-0810142-4354354?ie=UTF8&s=hi
$120 for a good bench vice seems pretty reasonable to me...
Columbian is there "made in who the hell knows were but it's cheap" line. The original heavy Wilton vises are much more expensive and much higher quality.

like
(Amazon.com product link shortened)64379905/ref=sr_1_19/104-0810142-4354354?ie=UTF8&s=hi

(Amazon.com product link shortened)64379905/ref=sr_1_19/104-0810142-4354354?ie=UTF8&s=hi
The one I saw had "MADE IN USA" in the casting. I don't think those fireboys use anything but American products.
Steve
Steve wrote:
> The one I saw had "MADE IN USA" in the casting. I don't think those > fireboys use anything but American products.
If you want to drool, check out Yost Manufacturing, Holland, Michigan.
Try <www.yostvices.com>
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Should read:
http://www.yostvises.com
Lew
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:03:23 GMT, Lew Hodgett

http://www.yostvises.com /
Yep, for an 8" vise it seems pretty darn cheap to me too:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO 97156&PMT4NO=0
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com http://www.ts-aligner.com
Locutus wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)64379905/ref=sr_1_19/104-0810142-4354354?ie=UTF8&s=hi
snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com wrote:

fugettaboutit.. I'll see your 8" and raise you an
AngLock 10" $ 2500.00 300#
Must be for goverment use...
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE 85&PMITEM    215088&PMCTLG
LOL..man-o-man...that and a $4000 smoothing plane.
Nope, just about every machine shop that does work with milling machines will have vises like this. Some cheaper (clones) and some more expensive (also clones). Kurt came up with a vise which revolutionized the industry and just about every shop in the world has one (or a clone). I have one Kurt 6" and a bunch of 6" clones.
Robatoy wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com wrote:

I love that they give the vise dimensions to three decimal places in the catalog.
Hmm...how does a jaw opening of 10.0000 decimal inches correspond to 7 1/2 inches?
Chris
: Hmm...how does a jaw opening of 10.0000 decimal inches correspond to 7 : 1/2 inches?
I blame it on the French, who invented the accursed metric system.
    -- Andy Barss
Hi Chris,
The dimensions are pretty important. A milling machine vise is not just responsible for holding parts tightly. It also accurately locate the parts.
Looks like a typo. The MSC catalog has over half a million items in it. More than likely, it's left over from the description of another model (with 7.5" opening). You see a lot of these in big catalogs where the data entry is being done by non-technical people.
Chris Friesen wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com wrote: : Yep, for an 8" vise it seems pretty darn cheap to me too:
: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO 97156&PMT4NO=0
: Ed Bennett : snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com : http://www.ts-aligner.com
Just out of curiosity, what makes this (or doesn't) worth the price? What does one get in this that you wouldn't in a knockoff?
    -- Andy Barss

The ability to open the jaws and use it in ten years and feel like you are doing it for the first time.
Steve
Accuracy, quality castings and components. Many knockoffs have neither. Kurts are top of the line and are the most copied in the world.