Which table saw...

Which table saw should I buy?

My wife and I just bought a new home. The kitchen cabinets are horrible, white melamine. We decided that they have to go. Also, the fact that we bought a refrigerator that doesn't fit in the opening, we decided that I should build them.

I am an apprentice with close to 2000 hours of experience in carpentry. 1350 of those hours were in school. I have a basic knowledge of woodworking. One project was to build a door that we can buy. I built a massive entrance door which is 2-3/4" thick with a thermo window. I also built a bathroom vanity with a drawer. Although in school we used General machines, I can't afford paying $10 000.00 for a table saw.

Since I am building the cabinets and doors myself, I will save a few bucks and I can buy the tools I need for this project and many more projects. My boss suggested to buy a General which sells in Quebec at Reno-Depot for $1000.00CDN.

For this project, what table saws should I be look at?

Thanks,

Patrick

Reply to
PB

Patrick -

Wow - Which tablesaw? That's one that's never come up on the rec, eh? Anyway, I think you're on the right track with General. I have their 10" cab saw, purchased used. Do keep your eyes open, you might be able to get a good cab saw for what you want to spend, or near it... Are you after a cab saw or contractors saw? - your price is right in the middle.

The Usual - PM, Griz, Delta, Jet....I am *not sure* if I'd buy a new Delta now or not... I think I'd prefer something older in gray... Whatever you get, try to swing for a Forrest Blade, a good fence and mobile base and requisite safety gear. Don't ask me how I know, but I thank my lucky starts I can still count to 10. Also, tune it up out of the box so you have a benchmark to start with - it'll make your work MUCH more enjoyable.

Make sure that the saw arbor will accept a dado stack, if you think you'll be using the saw to cut 'em in your cabinets - apparently, not all saws will accept a stack that'll give you 3/4" dados. Others will chime in here...

You might also check google, or look around in past WW mags for Tool Reviews - I know the FWW does a buyer's guide each year, and it may still be at the newsstand.

HTH,

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

You would do well with 1 1/2 horse power saw. You need ripping capicity of around 24-30" max. While I wouldn't recommend a harbor freight type, a sears or better would be more than enough. What matters most is tuning the saw to a square 90 degree vertical stop, adjusting the blade parallel to miter groves, and a fence that can be adjusted parallel to the saw blade. A quality blade rounds off the saw. A fair sized table area is most helpful. Most mid to upper contractor's saws will be fine. A good cabinet saw for the money would be the Grizzley. It's not so much the machine but the one operating the machine...

Reply to
Michael Hearn Anna Houpt

Patrick, Not sure if a used saw has any appeal to you, but I did notice that you are from Canada so I thought I thought these links to a Canadian Government surplus site might be of interest to you. This first link contains some used saws that are currently up for bid. Unfortunately these saws are in Nova Scotia, which might be a bit too far to drive to on your coffee break.

Link is to the main page. You will find all kinds of good junk in here. At least you can search for items in your area from this section.

this helps you, or someone else in the group.

Doug

Reply to
BiffNightly

======================== The only advice I can offer is to look at the "job" from the standpoint of what is the largest piece I need to cut...

And then buy a saw that has the ability to handle that cut... be it used or new...that meets your budget...

I run a cabinet saw with a 52 inch fence system now. But many years ago I built most of my shop cabinets using a little 9 inch Rockwell TS

but that saw required both infeed and outfeed tables added to it..so it could handle the larger plywood panels... Have no idea of how many HP it had (not much for sure) almost any saw can handle 3/4 inch stock.

I have no idea of what Canadian Tax laws are but every carpenter I know writes off all his tools that are required to make a living...ya never know when you may need a TS....on or off the jobsite...

Lots of luck...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Fri, Feb 18, 2005, 11:39pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Michael=A0Hearn=A0Anna=A0Houpt) burbled: You need ripping capicity of around 24-30" max.

What???

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:36:51 -0500, the inscrutable "PB" spake:

I fell in lust with an 14" Altendorf saw while at a veneer shop in Sandy Eggo once. Wow, scoring blades, computer guidance, twelve feet of sliding table, all for "just" $25,000!

Look at their F-45 ELMO, a CNC table saw. Awesome, wot?

If I were buying new today, I'd go for a General 650-T50 ($1,899) or Grizzly G1023Z ($1050), G5959Z (12", 5hp, $1,650), G7209 (14", 5hp, $2,450), or a Rojek PK 300V (12" European Table Saw with CV1B Sliding Table, built-in Scoring Unit, $3,195 @ Amazon.)

These are in USD, but lately, Shrub has forced those down to almost the same value as Canuckistani ducats.

But until then, I $imply hack away with Dina, my 1920 Hollywood saw.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Patrick

Reno-Depot sells General 'Star' brand I believe which are imported tools, priced for big-box stores.

Try to find a smaller, local tool dealer in your area. There, you will find real General saws (eg. made in PQ) as well as General International. You should also consider King as a decent import with a pretty low price. You may be able to find a 'Busy Bee' store in your area, but from the stuff I've bought so far, quality is very low.

The General 350/650 is a great saw, made in Canada and about $2400 or so. A King cabinet saw might be $1500. Good contractor saws for about $800. You definitely won't spend $10,000.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

Bob- I believe the Grizzly G0555 is a band saw. The Grizzly contractor-style saw is the G0444 or G0444Z and the cabinet saw is the G1023 with various letters added depending upon which features it comes with.

Dale

Reply to
dalemartindesigns