Where to buy magnets

Page 2 of 2

As was previously mentioned, dead hard drives are a great source of magnets. The older/larger, the better. 5 1/4" full height SCSI drives have the strongest magnets I've ever seen.
FWW just had an article about setting jointer knives. You can view the video at http://tinyurl.com/326c3t .
Larry

try a couple rare earth magnets from Lee Valley, 1/8"x1/2" are plenty strong enough. attach them to something straight.

If "long" = "powerful" then you can get some rare earth magnets from Woodcraft. I've used some of the 8mm variety for keeping box lids closed, and they are surprisingly strong.
Another option is Lee Valley[2]. LV has a "50-Piece Magnet Sampler"[3] that looks really interesting for $13.50.
[1]: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid 39 [2]: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1&pB363 [3]: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pY362&cat=1,42363,42348&ap=1

remove ".invalid".