where to buy lexan sheet?

I need to make a router plate and would like to do it from ~3/8 clear lexan (probably 12"x12" sheet). Anyone know somewhere in the Northern VA area that might carry it? I've found a place online (http://www.modernplastics.com ) but need to save the shipping time, if I can.
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:07:58 -0600, Anonymoose <Ihatespam> wrote:

Have you tried local glass shops, home centers, or hardware stores? I bought Lexan at a local hardware store a few months back. Sign makers may also be able to help.

I plan on checking glass shops - didn't think of trying a hardware store, I assumed it would be a little too esoteric for them. I'm pretty sure the Borgs don't carry that sort of thing, or at least I can't remember ever seeing it there.
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:22:25 -0600, Anonymoose <Ihatespam> wrote:

Ours have it, near the screen doors in one, and near the garage doors in another.
In fact, the one thing that our Borgs don't carry is real glass.
Barry
Ay Nonee da Moose,
You _might_ have some luck at your local glass shop. Those places generally stock or can order lots of neat stuff that ain't glass. They might even have a nice little piece of scrap, oh say, about 12"x12" over in the trash can. Never hurts to ask!
BTW, is 3/8" thick enough for a router plate?
DexAZ
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

lexan

I'm not so sure. I recall reading that a lot of plastics will sag over time from the eight of a router. You may want to do a little research first. If you get it cheap enough, it may be worth the experiment, but otherwise you may do as well with a commercial plate.
You may also fnd aluminum plate cheap also. Just get the hole bored and you can easily drill the rest.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
Look in the phone book under plastics. "Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

lexan

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:56:22 -0600, Anonymoose <Ihatespam> wrote:

I've always had much better luck with the paper version. In fact I can't think of one time that the online yellow pages gave me a listing that wasn't in the paper version. I know of plenty that went the other way.
Barry
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:07:58 -0800, Anonymoose wrote

McMasterCarr sells polycarbonate sheets, a generic equivalent to Lexan.
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Anonymoose <Ihatespam> wrote:

US Plastics (USPLASTICS.COM) sells almost anything and can get it to you next day. I have placed orders at 5PM on Monday and had them at 10AM on Tuesday. They are normally open on Saturday.
cheers
Doug
You have a Woodcraft store over in Springfield. They have it there. At least they did last weekend.
Jim

lexan
The local woodcraft here also has the black phenolic material, which is a better choice since it's less prone to sag over time. Icouldnt find it in their online catalog tho so this may be just a local thing.
For sag resistance the best is alumnum plate. A 12X12 piece can be had from http://www.smithy.com for $34.53 plus shipping. A bit more difficult to work but will last a couple of lifetimes.
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:08:48 GMT, "James D. Kountz" <jkountz@(remove this)citlink.net> wrote:>You have a Woodcraft store over in Springfield. They have it there. At least

Excellent, was going over there today anyway.
hi acme plastics on general Washington drive in Alexandria.It's right off of 95 just before the beltway in the industrial section.
Len "Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

lexan

Cool - that was the only hit that netscape yellow pages returned that looked promising. I think I want a piece bigger than a normal router base so I'll give them a call.
Try a local SIGN company, they often have scraps of acrylic/lexan/etc
John