Where to buy hardwood in Canada?

Page 1 of 2

I wandered into Windsor Plywood today, and had a look at their hardwoods. Yikes!
I expected high prices on things like Cocobolo, Bubinga, etc., but even their Poplar, Birch, etc. was pretty high (6 or 7 bucks per BF).
So, where do you Canadians buy from? I found A&M Woods on the net, whose prices seem a lot more reasonable, but the shipping could be a killer.
http://www.royaltyhardwoods.com

hard maple, I have a few hundred extra board feet, air dried, MC ~10% Will sell rough or dressed. Random widths, lengths up to 8', 1" and some 1 1/2". Would $2 bd ft rough sawn(Band sawn) be reasonable?
Ken
Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 12:44am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@spamslam.com (OlegLego) now asketh where to buy wood - which is all snipped by me:
Check your local phone book, and let your fingers do your walking.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
The J T entity posted thusly:

Did that. Found the one retail place within a 3 hour drive. Went to it. Still recovering from walnut and cherry sticker shock.
But thanks for the advice anyway.
Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 2:25pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@spamslam.com (OlegLego) stuns me with: Did that. Found the one retail place within a 3 hour drive. Went to it. Still recovering from walnut and cherry sticker shock. <snip>
What the Hell? Do you mean you "went", without calling and asking prices "first"? You obviously missed the point if that's what you did - the point was, call first, ask questions first. You're a big boy, I think, so you're on your own.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
The J T entity posted thusly:

Gee, JT, I appreciate your concern, but you needn't worry about me quite so much.
When I said I went to the only place within a 3 hour drive, I didn't mean that this place was 3 hours away. In fact, I get into Regina about once or twice a week, and that's where the place is, so it was no hardship to actually go have a look.
The only downside to actually going there was that I had to clean the drool off my shoes after seeing that $1500 slab of Bubinga.

You can't trust anybody these days. It seems to me that "whatever the idiot will pay for it" is the rule of the land.

Would Sarnia be too big of a drive? Gelinas Hardwoods. Or London? Philmore Enterprises. As you mentioned, A&M has fantastic material, but keep in mind his business deals a lot with musical instrument people.
I just bought some cherry at $6.00 bd/ft at Gelinas and it is a pretty good grade. This guy deals with a lot of fringe lunatics/artists/turners. Therefore, he has some odd stuff, like 8/4 ebony (I didn't ask). His eyes sparkled when he pointed at it. Some wild burls. Call him first.
The Robatoy entity posted thusly:

Yup... too far for pickup. I should have mentioned that I live about 25 miles out of Regina. If I can find places that will ship, and if they have good enough prices, perhaps I can still save a bit.

I think I'll check with them on shipping. Their prices beat Windsor Plywood by a good amount.

I'll see if he will ship. Thanks.
Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 2:30pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@spamslam.com (OlegLego) doth not say enough: Yup... too far for pickup. I should have mentioned that I live about 25 miles out of Regina. <snip>
Yeah, you should have. The more detail, the better the responses.
OK, I'll give it one last shot. Ask in your neighborhood. Ask at the local hardware, gas station, your hair dresser. Maybe you can meet some other woodworkers in your area, and band together and make a wood buying trip some weekend - get a trailer, and everyone get some wood. There's probably sawmills somewhere in your area, see if they'll sell rough lumber - CALL FIRST. Use your imagination. llCheck Woodfinder.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax

There's SFA in Saskatchewan for hardwood (I'm in Saskatoon).
Considering that no hardwood grows here in any quantity or size fit for harvest, and the entire province's population is under 1 million, that's not surprising.
It's that damned "supply and demand" thing again.

Dave Balderstone wrote:

I'd noticed that too...
So where do you get your wood? (Or do you just wince and buy at Windsor Ply or WoodnWorks?)
Chris
The Chris Friesen entity posted thusly:

I wandered back into Windsor Plywood in Regina today, to see about picking up some Maple to make some cam clamps. Got one pretty good board at their regular price (6.99/BF).
Then I went wandering around some more, and found a pile of Walnut 'shorts' selling for $5.99/BF. Not bad. Found a nicely grained piece of sapwood that'll need a bit of ripping to get a straight edge, but it looks real good for a small project.
I then found a shelf full of cutoffs marked 'by the piece'. Grabbed a few things I thought I could use (Clear Pine, Cherry), and one piece of Spanish Cedar just to see what it finished up like.

Bet you'll plan to take the pickup, or pickup and folding trailer on your next trip "back east."
SWMBO was initially doubtful (as always), but accepts it as practice now that we load to capacity with the local lumber in either direction. I do sawmills for rough stuff.
The George entity posted thusly:

My next scheduled trip is to The Windsor, Ont. area, for a wedding. Unfortunately, there will be 4 of us in a Hyundai Elantra, complete with luggage and little other room. A trailer might work.
Larry
--
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like
my grandfather, not screaming in terror,

Check the laws. You'll be driving the UP of Michigan, I imagine, rather than the Queen's around the big lake, and there's lots of sawmills. Problem might be getting the stuff back into Canada.
George wrote:

Lumber going into Canada has to be kiln dried and you need the paperwork to prove it.
The snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com entity posted thusly:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll probably forgo wood pickup on this trip.
George wrote:

Lumber going into Canada has to be kiln dried and you need the paperwork to prove it.

Pretty much, although I do a fair bit of scavenging for turning blanks. I've got a large rack of limbs of elm, mayday, apple, ash, willow, box elder, birch...
Co-op Hardware on 8th has rough cut red oak at a decent price that I use from time to time.