Where do you find good quality wood?

The only lumber stores I know of in my area are Lowe's, Home Depot, and an Ace Hardware. They all have a standard lumber selection, which is to say primarily pine as far as the eye can see, along with some oak. Where on earth do people find woods like maple, cherry, walnut, etc? Are there specialty stores that sell this stuff? Do I need to mail order it? I'm in Topeka, Kansas if that helps.
http://www.woodfinder.com /
: The only lumber stores I know of in my area are Lowe's, Home Depot, and an Ace : Hardware. They all have a standard lumber selection, which is to say primarily : pine as far as the eye can see, along with some oak. Where on earth do people : find woods like maple, cherry, walnut, etc? Are there specialty stores that : sell this stuff? Do I need to mail order it? I'm in Topeka, Kansas if that : helps.
Check your yellow pages under wood (that's where I found mine). Or call a furniture repair shop in town, they probably know.
Mike

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote in

Well, to give a JOATish answer, you could start with the yellow pages. Look under lumber (or perhaps wood), and see if there's any ads which specifically mention hardwoods, maple, cherry, etc. Look under millwork also.
Also look at the ads in the back of Fine Woodworking and other magazines, you may find a place that's in your vicinity; or one you'd consider mail ordering from.
Look in the classifieds in your paper, or if there's a "Trader" or similar weekly, for local sawyers selling. You could also try calling the state forestry service, and asking them for a list of sawyers who might deal in lumber.
If there's a dealer in hardwoods in your area, you can expect "highish" prices (lower than the borg, tho), for the highest grade (known as FAS) of lumber. They'll sell by the board, and may cut it for you. If you mail order, you'll save on the price, and will likely have the choice of FAS grade, or the next lower (#1 common); you'll probably have to take a minimum sized lot (20bf or 100bf). If you buy from a local sawyer, it will likely be ungraded ("log run"), and may be green (not air- or kiln-dried, meaning you'll have to store it for a year or so to dry), and you'll likely have to buy in 100bf lots.
Walnut & Oak, at least, are harvested in Kansas, so you ought to be able to find a local sawyer for those at least.
Oh - you could try www.woodfinder.com. In my experience that site lists only a miniscule fraction of vendors, presumably those that advertise with them; I've never found anything useful there.
John
I'm in KC just an hour down the road from you (give or take a few minutes). Head to Schutte Lumber on Southwest Blvd or you can go to the eastside to Paxton's. Believe you can find both on the Internet. Or as an alternative, try ordering wood from sites you find online. I've had good luck with SandyPond hardwoods and Berea Hardwoods. For veneers try joewoodworker.com.

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:07:38 GMT, "Gary"
Have you been to Liberity Hardwood Lumber, they are in Truman Road, Independence, Mo.? They sell hardwood and all kinds and sizes of plywood for cabinets. I have been to Paxton, Paxton is for exotic lumber and Liberty is the place for cabinet's lumbers. Their last delivery (free delivery above $350) to my place, they also delivery to three cabinate makers in and around Mariam Lane and Olathe.
Liberties Hardwood lumber also sell compatible Accuride's ball bearing drawer slides, ridiculous cheap. Recently, I check with HD. a pair of 24" slide (China made) selling for $24 and Liberty sells around $5.50.

You might check with the custom cabinet shops in town or businesses that do millwork (trim and such)..

I'm positive you have lumber mills in Topeka.
I found this with a quick google search:
Roberson Lumber Co. Inc. Silver Lake, KS 1-800-787-0542 or 785-582-4015 Fax 785-582-4074
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote in message

NoNameAtAll wrote:

Personally, I can get maple, cherry and walnut at the local Ace Hardware store. They're really expensive compared to mail order prices, but they're there.
Just goes to show you that what you can get and where greatly depends on where you live. If you're in Big City USA, you probably have dozens of options. I have no idea if Topkea is considered Big City USA or not. It's probably on the big side, since I've heard of it. Then again, I'm not sure which of those blocky "out west" states on a map is Kansas.
Yes, there are better places than the big box stores. I went to http://www.woodfinder.net and typed in cherry and a Topeka zip code and got several suggestions. You might also call the Kansas city Woodcraft Supply at (913) 599-2800 and ask them for suggestions.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote in message

On 20 Jan 2004 19:59:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

It grows on trees. Then people come along and chop'em down. They're the people you want to talk to - you'll find better timber, more varied and much cheaper, by starting at the "trees" end of the process than by starting with retail.
Look in the phonebook or on the web for people with bandsaw mills. Talk to them. Even if they don't season or sell it, they'll know who does.
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
local saw mills, but I didn't know Kansas had any trees, all I've ever seen going thru was wheat fields. ;-)
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"NoNameAtAll" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote in message Web Address: www.woodcraft.com/woodcraft/assets/html/homepage.asp?refcodeINFIND
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote in message

Timber Products, Inc. 2286 S. Custer Wichita, KS 67213
Toll Free - 800-279-4070 Local - 316-943-2221 Fax - 316-943-1528