When You Start Out As A Carpenter...

When I started out I was expected to have a nail apron that included these items:
A Tape Measure - A Stanley 16' Tape Measure.
A Carpenter's Pencil - This should have come from a lumber yard or some such, and all I had t do was learn how to sharpen it. *
A Keel - A keel is a piece of yellow wax crayon. Our's were Dixons.
A Scriber - A scriber is a schoolboy's compass, usually brass looking, with a golf course sized piece of pencil in one end.
A Chalk Line - Also usually from Stanley, although as I got smarter, I bought the ones from Strait-Line.
A Utility Knife - Once again, a Stanley, one of the ones that retracted.
A Piece Of Blue Chalk - It came in the shape of a half of a sphere, and it was blue.
A Combo Square - My first one was a cheap ass Stanley, my current one is from Athol.
I also had a hammer holster with a Plumb 16 oz curved claw hammer, on a fiberglass stick.
That was it for Carpentry 101. When I was there for a bit, I got the Sears Leather Toolbelt - changed to a 20 oz Plumb - got a truck - and made money.
Hope this answers your questions.

You didn't have a brad nailer so you could use brads to hold boards together while the glue dries? Jim

We didn't even know what a "brad" was.

"Brad" was that clueless twit who only got hired because he was the boss' son-in-law...what, you didn't have one?
Lee

Man, we should all be so lucky. I take about $500 worth of assorted odds and ends with me daily.
Shouldn't there at least be a couple more things in that apron? To wit:
1.5" framing chisel Handsaw (I like pull saws, myself) Cold Chisel Coping Saw Four-in-hand rasp Rat-tail bastard file Nail punch Flat bar Crow bar T-bevel Framing Square Plumb bob String line Cresent wrench Channel locks Screwdriver (or cordless drill)
Depends on what you're doing, I suppose. I've got several stables of tools for different jobs. The above is just the stuff that crosses over several disciplines.
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:22:28 -0500, Prometheus

that is your kit today. how much of it did you have the first day you walked on to a carpentry job? how about the 30th day?

The first day, A shiny new nail apron, a shiny new hammer, a shiny new . . .
The second day, a shiny new smashed thumb... :-)
Maybe a Craftsman saw , probably all the shiny new tools were Craftsman.
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:22:28 -0500, Prometheus

That's gotta be the heaviest nail apron going.
I was responding to a question about what my first boss expected me to carry in the apron at all times.
He called us carpenters but we were at best, carpenter's helpers; trying to make the transition from laborers.
Within a month or so I'd cobbled up a set of sawhorses and a tote, spent about a whole paycheck on a Rockwell 315 "Circle Saw" (sic), and never really stopped buying tools until a bit less than two years ago, when I gave it up to be a clip board jockey.
Tom Watson wrote: [snip]>

So what all do you carry now? And what do you carry it in?     curioso,     ju4an
Tom Watson wrote:

trying to make the transition from laborers.
Within a month or so I'd cobbled up a set of sawhorses and a tote, spent about a whole paycheck on a Rockwell 315 "Circle Saw" (sic)<<
Well.... I was reading along enjoying this until the mention of the 315. That struck a nerve.
I remember 30 years ago when I started full time carpentry, my aspiration was to buy a 315. Wow... the pinnacle of the all around saws with its all metal polished case... roller bearings... metal carrying box and heavy duty rip guide. Using one was real pleasure. When I finally bought my own, it was part of a govt. auction and I paid $125 for it then.... 30 years ago. I used it so much that it was rebult about 4 times (remember the grease cup?) before it was finally dead.
One thing I have noticed here is that an essential tool that I was assigned by the carpenters on the job was the broom. Any time I messed something up, "go get your damn broom and do something useful" was what I heard. If I didn't understand something, and they felt like it was over my head.... broom. Ran my "expert" helper's mouth too much with a brilliant suggestion... broom.
End of day cleanup... guess who... guess what...
Am I the only one that went through that for a few months?
Robert
On 4 Sep 2005 13:25:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I didn't go for the case but that is still the best 7-1/4 that I ever owned. Some idiot helper used it to cut flashing channels into masonry, all day - because, "It was an old saw".
I didn't fire him, but that was about the time that I decided to go back to working by myself.
The 315 was Fubarred.

I didn't even get inside where I could use a broom for about two months. All I did was dig and backfill and carry block and mix and carry mortar. I was actually happy when I got to go inside and run a broom.
I used to fall asleep to the Mantra, "21 shovels of Sand, 7 shovels of Portland, 1 shovel of Lime - Pull the box 3 times - be careful with the water".
The happiest day of my life was when I had become too valuable to be sent for coffee. That was before Self Esteem was even invented.
watson - who still winces when he sees 12" solids.

Knowledge and experience, in his "hat rack".
--
Nahmie
Tom Watson wrote:

Erm! havn't you forgotten summat?

I reckon I have, but I don't know what a "summat" is.
I'm hoping that it's a nailset, which I left out, and shouldn't have.
I also left out the catspaw, but that came later, when you were carrying a proper tote.
Which was a partner to the Wonderbar.
Which went along with the Framing Square.
Which went into the chisels - and we were talking about what could be carried in a cloth nail apron - Oh Lordy - It has been too long ago...
Tom Watson wrote:

You forgot the marking gauge, thats one o the items every carpenter got. :-)
summat : something.

What is a "Marking Gauge", in the regard of Carpentry?
I have a marking gauge that I use for mortise and tenon joinery, but it is part of a joiner's or cabinetmaker's kit.
Tom Watson wrote:

Same thing, you draw it up or push it down the lenght of the wood and scribe a line in the wood.

That ain't no carpenter's tool.
If I'd of had one of them in my pouch, I'd have been let go.
(got a nice ulmia now, wouldn't let go of it - but I ain't no carpenter, now.)

My carpenter uncle would have used the compass, but then he was a finish carpenter.
Patriarch, who was fascinated by those tools as a kid...
ben wrote:

I think that was called a 16 penny smooth box scribe.     j4