Can you extend a PVC clean-out port?

Can you remove a PVC clean-out plug (screw-in type), and extend the tube further? I mean, is there a screw-in female adapter that can be permanently sealed into this kind of clean-out access port?

Naturally I would add another clean-out farther along, but I need a few more inches of main pipe to add an additional inlet.

Thanks!

DeanB

Reply to
dean

Is one of these what you are looking for? I'm not sure if a borg would carry it, but I'll bet any plumbing supply house would.

DerbyDad03

Yes, that's perfect. Thanks! Do you know if you're supposed to teflon- tape that or PVC-cement it?

Reply to
dean

Usually the threads are not glued, pipe dope or tape is used. BTW drains are usuall ABS not PVC. The cement is different.

Reply to
Eric9822

Its a gray-water system.

But ABS is not sold any more is it, at least at the big stores. (The black plastic pipe, that is). Its all PVC now, as far as I can see.

Reply to
dean

Allow me to clarify. The permanent waste piping in a home is usually ABS. The traps, tail pieces, etc at the sinks are PVC. The cleanouts are usually associated with the permanent waste piping.

Reply to
Eric9822

I believe it's a regional thing...in the mid-west you can use either, and can't remember the last time I saw ABS used....most everyone uses PVC. The local Lowes has both...pick yer poison!

Reply to
DAC

Incorrect -- you stated it backwards.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Absolutely -- except you're looking for a *male* adapter. Any place that sells PVC pipe and fittings should have these.

Cement it in place.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That may be a regional thing. I have been building residential and light commercial for over 30 years in central texas, yet have never seen an ABS system in fixed construction. Only PVC is used in this area. I still find clay pipe, cast iron pipe, and pvc, but only in mobile homes have I ever seen ABS piping for anything.

YMMV.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I guess it is a regional thing, you learn something new every day. I'm on the west coast and it's all ABS in my area. I've never seen PVC used for waste lines. Thanks.

Reply to
Eric9822

IRC and UPC both allow ABS for drains. Where ABS is allowed, it is generally more common than PVC. But this is a very regional thing, some places still don't accept any plastic plumbing, others only allow some of the reliable materials currently on the market.

Around here, in Washington State, I can't recall ever having seen a home with PVC drain pipes, and few consumer-oriented hardware or warehouse stores even stock PVC in DWV sizes.

Reply to
<josh

Must be..here and at our place in AZ, the entire &#39;rough-in&#39; DWV system was

100% black ABS. The only "white" plumbing was the tailstocks of the sinks..the rest under there was "black" also
Reply to
Rudy

Must be regional, then -- here in Indiana, it&#39;s all PVC. Hardly anybody stocks ABS.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug is right. It is a regional thing and sometimes they can not make up their mind.

30 years ago here it was abs all the way. Then they banned abs and it was pvc all the way. Then they figured out the fumes from either of them burning would kill you equally quick so now both are approved for use both above and below grade.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt