In case it matters, the finish is to be water-based lacquer applies with an air gun.
PS: I used to work with nitro lacquer and we always applied a coat or two of sanding sealer before the lacquer. Is that true for the water based, too?
--
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

If he wants a walnut color, why doesn't he just use walnut?
I don't think there's any other way to do it. If he did it your way, he still needs to sand/plane the striping after he glues it in. And what to do with glue squeeze out?
I think the whole idea of inlay is to use different colored woods to achieve the effect.
On 26 Jan 2004 05:27:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

Too dark, wrong grain, too expensive, etc.

Other than not using any stain?

Yes, the striping would need a light sanding after it is glued in.

Some of the stiping comes with an adhesive on the back. I was thinking that that would be enough so there shouldn't be any squeeze out.

Yes, I agree. But is there no way to do stiping in a wood that needs to be stained?
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Try putting some foam weather stripping into the groove. This will keep the stain from soaking in and you can glue up afterwards.

Now that's ingenius. I'll suggest that to him. Thanks.
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com