What would you do

What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory? What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before. But, I know what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're giving me though! Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried, been in a barn covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than 5/4. Gloat maybe???
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Tim Taylor wrote:

It's totally useless. I will dispose of it for you. The walnut too--it's been contaminated by that hickory. :-)
We hates you forever!
--Steve
you suck
len
Tim Taylor wrote:

Old Hickory? I would probably run for president.     1829-1837,     jo4hn

"Gloat maybe???" ya think? You suck.
Anyhow, hickory is not a good wood to work. It is very hard and brittle. Cutting and routing are both an ordeal. Use it for something that doesn't require a lot of work. It is a reasonably pretty wood though, and very strong.
My wife is looking for some very plain cabinets with shelves for the basement. Hickory would be a good choice for that. I made the first one out of walnut I got at auction for $1/bf. It was pretty crappy with many defects, but I manage to hide most of them.

brittle.
Pine it's not but those have not been my experiences with hickory...
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Mine neither. I would drive quite a ways to pick up a free load of hickory. Even with gas prices being what they are. It makes good looking kitchen cabinets.
Max
Tim Taylor wrote:

More proof this ng's gone to heck.
You suck, too.
er
--
email not valid

Work bench? Cabinets? eBay?
Dave

You mean after I was done kissing their feet and blessing their ancestors? *g*
I'd sell the hickory and play with the walnut...
BTW: you suck big-time.. Mac

If you live near a fair size body of water, you could use it for the surface of a small quay that you tie your power-boat up at.
Yup! a Hickery dockery deck.
*groan*

Me? what would _I_ do? I'm a *greedy* SOB. I'd ask "got any more?"
*snicker*

If you had asked me that 7 or 8 years ago, after the first house I trimmed with hickory, I would have told you to put it in a big pile and light it!<g> We've done a few more homes with hickory since then and it just takes some patience to work it. It's almost as hard as cherry but has a much more wild grain which makes joining and planing a challenge. It's hard on knives, blades and cutters too but you just can't get in a hurry with it. You can use it just as you would any hardwood. It makes a great looking hardwood floor when finished natural.
Mike O.

Ok, thanks for the input everybody. It was all good, and most of it funny! I'm off this afternoon to pick it all up. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do with it.