What to use in a plane wick

Hello,
I am making a plane wick to butter up the soles during use. Besides butter (heh) what makes the best lubricant SPECIFICALLY for a plane wick, ie., it wont dry out. I have heard of some using mineral oil (baby oil) and some using liquid parafin. Does liquid parafin dry out? Does it contain any solvents or other nasty finish-wrecking stuff? It seems like it would be the best choice all else being equal for its rust preventing properties. Experience? Ideas? Random thoughts?
Bob the Less
. Experience? Ideas? Random thoughts?

I keep a chunk of parafin wax at my bench, just scribble a little "S" on the sole of any hand plane I'm using, as needed to keep the friction to a minimum....works wonders when you're making those shavings of a thou or so....
Cheers,
aw
Bob wrote:

I always thought "liquid paraffin" was the UK name for what we in the US call "mineral oil".
See "Synonyms" at: http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id 6

Kerosene, IIRC. I remember reading a particular book as a kid--the hero was at sea in a small boat, in a storm, at night. The engine wouldn't start, even though he had put enough paraffin in it. "No wonder it won't run," I thought, "he clogged it up with wax!" I had also wondered why his torch didn't go out in the rain. There were divers calling in the distance. "Why doesn't he ask one of those scuba guys for help?"
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

Nope. Kerosene.

free.com> says...

Liquid paraffin to us is a fairly viscous liquid which can be used as a body rub (add some peppermint oil) the same as baby oil with no additives.
Your kerosene is our paraffin which is used as a fuel for stoves and heating. Would not want to use that as a body rub (unless as maybe as a marinade for a sacrifice <G>)
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions