What to put in top compartment on tool chest...

I finally got a big, double-decker tool chest.... http://xrl.us/toolchest
This is another one of those acquisition about which you immediately ask yourself, "How have I ever lived without this?"
There is a top compartment with a lid that opens up which is common on these types of chests. Are these compartments traditionally used for certain things/tools? Not that I've ever cared about tradition or "the way it's always been done," but if experience shows that it's more beneficial/efficient to keep certain thing up there, I will start with those and go from there.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/13/2011 6:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Until you build yourself a medicine chest, Mike ... that's where you should keep your shaving gear! <g,d&r>
Most of the mechanics I know keep their taller stuff, like boxes of nuts and bolts ... the stuff that does not look like wrenches, sockets, etc... in the top shelf.
C-Less will undoubtedly set you straight shortly ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/13/2011 6:26 PM, Swingman wrote:

Typically a top box top will house a carry along lift out tray for holding tools that you want to carry with you.
My top box top is a "catch all" for "stuff"
On 7/13/2011 6:26 PM, Swingman wrote:

Typically a top box top will house a carry along lift out tray for holding tools that you want to carry with you.
My top box top is a "catch all" for "stuff"
On 7/13/11 7:03 PM, Leon wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm.........
--

-MIKE-

On 7/13/11 6:26 PM, Swingman wrote:

d'oh!!
--

-MIKE-

Fit the tool size to the drawer size. Wrench and socket organizers are great. Drawer liners like antiskid mesh are great. Keep the slides greased. And a warning for that large bottom drawer: ONce you fill it with large, heavy gobs of arn, DO NOT try to remove it and set it on the ground while bent over. (I could have blown a lumbar disc or broken a foot while pulling that idiotic stunt when it turned out to have over 300 lbs in it.)

Keep whatever you use twenty times a day up there.
Tool chests are very personal, so you'll put tools in it in the order you like. In a couple weeks/months, you'll find yourself reorganizing. That's normal. Have fun with the new toy.
-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
I keep a lift out tray in there. In my case, the tray has a basic (what I call) set of tools in it. So, with many jobs, I can just grab that tray and go. I have managed to load it so full that I can't get my fingers around the handle, so I have to squeeze the handle between thumb and fingers to lift and carry. I figure that is good exercise for my hands. -Set of 1/2" drive sockets w/ ratchet, breaker bar, u-joint and extensions -Set of comb. wrenches w/ swivel box ends, 3/8" to 3/4" -offset screwdrivers -Allen wrench set -Good quality combination screwdriver -Spark plug sockets -Small pair of SnapOn "water pump" pliers -Some other stuff. ----Everything in there is duplicated elsewhere in the cabinet.
I have 2 other lift out trays that I keep along side the big cabinet. If I know what I'll be needing in addition to, or in place of that upper tray, I fill on of them and go. Metric stuff, for example.
In thinking more about it, if all my work was in on a single concrete garage floor, then none of this would apply. But, for me, I have stuff in 2 outbuildings and in two other shops under the same roof as the tool cabinet. And, besides, not everything breaks when it is parked in its proper place, anyway. I simply figure that any mistakes I make in planning what to take with me is just another excuse to NOT having to go to the gym.
Pete Stanaitis ---------------
On 7/14/11 2:51 PM, Pete S wrote:

Great reply, Pete! Thanks. You are the second one to suggest a lift-out tray and I'm definitely going to do that. I was also thinking of having an empty tray or two, right on the case. I love the idea of having duplicates in the tray/case.
--

-MIKE-

Mushrooms and a defibrillator.
On 7/14/11 3:02 PM, Robatoy wrote:

+10pts for obscure post of the week.
--

-MIKE-

He's been smoking his banana peels again, ah reckon.
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer ================= Magic Mushrooms?
--
Eric

I got three three-level chests from HFT, not sure if we are talking about the same type of Top as mine have lids on them - like a tool box. As such, they are rather worthless. If I put stuff in them and close the lid, I get another FLAT SURFACE and that gets covered with this and that. Then, to open it up, I have to first find a spot for all that stuff that (mysteriously) congregated on the closed lid. On one of my chests, I just leave the lid up and the area serves as a FLAT SURFACE with raised edges and a tall back plane. On another, I left the top compartment empty and use it as a flat surface - albeit, with a handle in the center! Argggghhh!
Oh. just saw your chest. Impressive, expensive(?). The HFT sets are not so wide, but as tall (I guess). And, at $140 each, a bargain.
But the drawers are not deep enough for a woodworking shop (IMHO). If I could get them to eliminate one drawer from each section, the remainder would better suit.
On 7/14/11 6:57 PM, Gooey wrote:

I know the one you're talking about and I almost bought it. But it just wouldn't have been a big enough upgrade from what I had. It may have doubled what I have now, if that.
I also looked at the other US General Pro cabs at HF, which are excellent quality. I almost bought the 27" wide double-decker and it would've been great. It would've been at least 3x the space of what I had. I finally decided to just bite the bullet and get one that I wouldn't run out of room in and that I'd never have to upgrade. At 37x18x52, this is probably 5x the storage of what I had.
It was expensive, but not when you consider what most tool chests cost. Plus, if I ever decide to expand, I'm pretty sure those US General side-cars at HF will sit right on this.
--

-MIKE-