What's this about Norm Retiring.

Page 2 of 6

I said, and I quote,

I didn't say he was elected. *You* did in your ensuing question. I merely lumped the three together as mental midgets /after/ /having/ /listened/ /to/ /them/ too many times over the years. Maybe their "mental midgetry" is more opinion than fact, but I hold these truths to be self-evident. ;-)
I simply found these buffoons to be at least as stupid as any of our prime ministers and we're hard to beat on this one. Don't ever mistake craftiness, slickness, or glibness at delivering speeches *scripted* *by* *others* as anything remotely close to intelligence. Nobody with any real intelligence /or/ /morality/ would ever spend several millions of their own and others' money to secure a $150 000/year job.
Gerry
P.S. How much do the parasites *legally* earn?
Gerry writes:

Fair enough. I've listened to a few Canadian PMs over the years.
By the way, or MBA master gets 400K a year (USD, too). I'm not exactly sure he needs, but any little bit helps.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Sound like mental migetry to think that any of them do it for the money. You need to move up a notch or two on Maslow's scale to know why they do it.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:21:06 -0400, "Al Reid"

|> Al Reid asks:|> |> >Who, exactly, were the puppeteers that got Gerald Ford elected to the |> >Presidency?|> |> When was Ford elected President?| |He was NEVER elected president.
Actually, I think that when he was elected Vice President, he *was* elected to the presidency. It is not an appointed office. The line of succession is quite clear and the electorate should remember that they may be, in fact, electing their next president when they make their vice presidential choice. "Choice" being a euphemism for "Picking the lesser of evils."
Wes
Wes notes:

That's called chopping logic, I think. Still, I'd joyfully accept Mr. Ford over several of his successors.
On 30 Jun 2004 23:42:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
|Wes notes: | |>Actually, I think that when he was elected Vice President, he *was* |>elected to the presidency. It is not an appointed office. The line |>of succession is quite clear and the electorate should remember that |>they may be, in fact, electing their next president when they make |>their vice presidential choice. "Choice" being a euphemism for |>"Picking the lesser of evils."| |That's called chopping logic, I think.
I dunno. I'm hard pressed to find a "definite" definition for it. Based on context I'd say it's most often used in describing religious discourse, that being a bigger waste of time than discussing politics.
As a fellow Tucsonan, the late author Ed Abbey once said, "Zen: the sound of the ax chopping. Chopping logic."
There, I'm mentioned a WWing tool.
Wes
|On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:21:06 -0400, "Al Reid"
||> Al Reid asks:||> ||> >Who, exactly, were the puppeteers that got Gerald Ford elected to the ||> >Presidency?||> ||> When was Ford elected President?|| ||He was NEVER elected president. | |Actually, I think that when he was elected Vice President, he *was* |elected to the presidency. It is not an appointed office. The line |of succession is quite clear and the electorate should remember that |they may be, in fact, electing their next president when they make |their vice presidential choice. "Choice" being a euphemism for |"Picking the lesser of evils."
Let me clarify my too hastily composed missive. Of course I meant in Ford's case, "appointed" to the vice presidency, but he was an "elected" official who was put into that office via a constitutionally defined process that mandated that he be confirmed by both houses of Congress, the members of which are elected.
Similar unintended consequences can befall us when we elect the bozos we do to Congress.

I was only a wee lad at the time, but I'm fairly certain that not only was Ford not elected President, he wasn't even elected Vice-President. I thought he was appointed after Agnew resigned. Sadly, I'm not interested enough to Google it.
todd
But he wasn't elected president was he? He was appointed after Spiro Agnew resigned.
Mark

MG responds:

Ah, dear ol' Corkscrew Agnew. The man who disproved my minor faith in humanity. I recall telling my then mother-in-law that he couldn't be guilty. No politician at his level would be stupid enough to sell out for 80 grand.
Oops. I keep underestimating the stupidity of politicians.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Isn't that redundant, sort of like the old line about committing suicide in Buffalo? ;-)
Gerry

In politics, it's choosing the evil of two lessers. ;-)
Gerry

Ford was never elected Vice President. When Spiro Agnew resigned as VP, Nixon nominated Ford to be VP and he was subsequently confirmed by the Senate.
BTW, Ford was no fool. You don't get to be House majority/minority (depending on which party is in charge) leader without some smarts and the ability to forge political deals.

clumsy, because he hit his head on a helicopter doorway once or twice, and he fell down while skiing a few times, etc. Well, IIRC, Gerald Ford is 6'2" tall, and a man that height is going to bang his head from time to time going in and out of a helicopter -- and as for falling down while skiing -- while I don't ski myself, I understand that falling on your can is not exactly an uncommon experience. Ford was one of the most active and athletic Presidents we've had recently. Active people have mishaps. Big deal.

Wasn't he the one beanin' folks on the golf course? :)

I thought that was Agnew, but it's been many years.

Found this: Gerald Ford also loved golf, but spectators had to watch carefully because the President was know for conking people on the head with his wild shots.
Here: http://www.classroomhelp.com/lessons/Presidents/ford.html
I read it on the Internet. It has to be true!
[snip] | |Ford was never elected Vice President. When |Spiro Agnew resigned as VP, Nixon nominated |Ford to be VP and he was subsequently |confirmed by the Senate.
Sigh. Since you're trying to correct me, let me correct you:
The 25th amendment says among other things:
"Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress."
I know that and so stated in a second post not two hours later than the one you quote.
In it I said:
"Let me clarify my too hastily composed missive. Of course I meant in Ford's case, "appointed" to the vice presidency, but he was an "elected" official who was put into that office via a constitutionally defined process that mandated that he be confirmed by both houses of Congress, the members of which are elected."
Let me now clarify my clarification. I used "appointed" in quotes because that is what others before me used, in contradistinction to "elected."
In this particular case, "nominated" by Nixon and "elected" to office by the Congress is more accurate.
Pretty much like it's always done. A person is first nominated and then voted upon. The Vice Presidency is *not* an appointed office, which was the original point I was trying to make.
Wes
Charlie Self wrote:

Ya know, I feel kinda sorry for Mr Bush. I suspect that his brother Jeb is the one who the family was grooming for the presidency. GW got forced into an uncomfortable position when Jeb decided that he'd rather stay down in FL. GW strikes me as a good old boy who'd do just fine running the town garage and going fishing and hunting whenever the fit took him. I suspect that I'd be happy to wet a line, or a whistle with him, or go chasing down bunnies or deer. It's just sad to see a person out of their element through no fault of their own. Sorta going back to the puppeteer theory this started up on.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Sort of like our own Manchurian Candidate? And somebody has already activate him, so he's bankrupting the country?
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken