What's the longest boards you can get on line?

Page 2 of 2

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Duane, in light of your experience I guess I should consider myself lucky that I'm able to handpick lumber at the two local places I frequent. They have both promised that in the next few weeks they should be getting some more walnut. Plan B is to wait until they receive their shipments, and go back down and see if my money will buy some nicer stuff than they currently have. I've been able to hand select some really nice stuff recently, but my last 2 trips to each of them were unfruitful.
I need to learn patience, I guess... :)
As for Southern Lumber, the good quality doesn't make up for the sky high prices so all I do is window shop there. <g>
Dave
David wrote:

I should probably have noted that I live in a rural area far removed from any local timber and because of the former there is no local distributor who carries any hardwood and so handpicking entails a trip to the same place as the wholesaler so it only makes sense if I'm driving 200 miles to Wichita to buy a significant quantity at the time...there actually is a sizable amount of walnut specifically in SE KS, but it's almost another 150 miles on past Wichita down there so I rarely take the time. While in TN and VA, it was easy to have gotten spoiled by all the small local mills one could choose from... :)
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:02:47 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Duane, I'm in Wichita (actually Haysville) and we've been using a place in Burrton KS for hardwood and specialty trim. A lot of the builders here are having trim milled there but they supply just about any trim related products (except hardware) that we need including stock, in about any species we need. Since our builders pay the bills, I can't comment on their prices but they must be competitive. The place is Steve Lang's Hardwood Supply 115 N. Reno St. Box 7 Burrton KS phone: 620-463-2663
You might give them a try if it's not more out of your way. Burrton is between Hutch and Newton.
Mike O.
"Mike O." wrote:

Thanks for the contact...I've saved it for future reference. I know where Burrton is--we're in Liberal so it's maybe just a little farther as it's farther north, but can run up 51 to Hutch from Pratt and be a pretty straight shot. If I were that close I'd probably end up going to Wichita anyway as have family there...
I'd been using a small family-owned millwork shop in Wichita for bigger runs than I can do and been real pleased but they simply buy material on a per job basis for specialty items like I've been having done for the barn restoration which has been the main project for the last two years...
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:23:24 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Would it be Allen's Millwork?
Mike O.
"Mike O." wrote:

No, I have been using Holtzen's--they're downtown.
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:13:42 -0500, Duane Bozarth

We haven't dealt with Holtzen's for some time. Years ago we had a builder that used them quite a bit. Their millwork was always very good.
Mike O.
"Mike O." wrote:

Yes, I have been <quite> pleased w/ everything they've done...and wunnerful to deal w/ as well.
They just got a new 4-head moulder in last winter--my run of siding about 4000 ft of Doug fir 3-1/4" T&G siding matching the old barn siding was its initiation--we all stood around and watched and went "ooh...!"... :)
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:24:09 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Did they have to grind knives for it or did they have a match?
BTW, I'm trying a new version of my mail reader in the groups. If you see this, I guess it's working. My address is suppose to show up as snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.net
Mike O.
snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.net wrote:

The cove was a standard profile (and I should recall the profile number but can't offhand) so the existing knives were right. It was just that we were unable to find anything other than the 5-1/4 width anywhere already available and the barn was 3-1/4. I went the Doug fir to match the original as well. We had to cheat just a little on the bottom edge groove depth and some was hard to finish the full 3-1/4 out of the 1x4 stock, but I decided I didn't want to eat the cost of the 1x6 stock to get the full dimension. That's what the reduction in size since the '20s does to you on repro or restoration work. :(
I had some old salvaged 5-1/4 material from an old chicken coop we tore down (something like 40 years ago now) still in the mow so in a couple of places where I had a fairly large place to replace old siding on I ripped it down to about 3-3/8 and used a couple of rows of it mixed in w/ the other to gain back the lost height when I had more opening to cover than I could "stretch" the new to fill in. When done and painted, I can only pick out one place where I did that by inspection (although I know where the others are, of course).

Just out of curiousity, which are you using? I've been using an <old> NS version on a really old W95 box for 'net access, but it's about to die dead so I'm going to have to move to something newer...I just don't know what that's going to be, but it ain't gonna' be Outlook altho I'll probably end up going w/ a MS OS owing to the compatibility issue w/ what few clients I'm still consulting for...
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:17:33 -0500, Duane Bozarth

I'm using Agent 3.1. They have a 30 day trial period for the full version and after 30 days it reverts to a version called Free Agent that has some limitations but doesn't expire. You can experiment with it and it will import messages from other readers if they will export in the standard UNIX email message format.
The web site is www.forteinc.com I honestly don't know how it compares to some other (non MS) readers since I've been using some version of Agent since back in the days when Internet service first became available here.
This version will allow you to use more than one server for mail and or news and allows for different users or names for individual news groups or email accounts. I was running two separate copies of the earlier version to accomplish the same thing. The new version does quite a bit more than I need for it to do but I'm starting to get the hang of it.....I think. Just in case, I haven't removed one of the old copies yet.
Mike O.

Dave - I'm in Burbank and your deal really isn't that bad at 5.25 especially if they let you pick through. I've occasionally bought stock online from Wall Lumber and found it to be worth the effort, even with the shipping. I generally buy the UPS 'bundle' - 20 bft/varying prices. Always have gotten excellent quality wood. Being that you're up north - you might look for mills in the Sacramento area - the shipping to you in San Jose would be minimal and if you buy enough you can get a decent price.
HTH,
Vic
I know that there is a mill in Grass valley that carries a lot of local hardwoods, but can't remember the name. There was an article on them in Woodshop news a couple of years back. I think that there is a place in Chico also. I would expect the valley to have more sources.There is a Wood Finder web site that I used once to help me find some hickory. If you want to spend some money, try Goby Walnut in Albany OR. He has 100,000 plus bf from about $5 to 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it anyway'. I got some bookmatched 6/4 tight ripple 9 ft. long, all heart for about $30 bf. I don't know what I am going to do with it, but it will be expensive. robo hippy
Right now I have a bunch of walnut (see attached pic) that I could sell for $4.00/bft with a minimum of 25 ft purchase. I am located in central virginia. Contact me if interested witha valid return email address.