What is your approach to woodworking?

Relax, guys ... they're not going anywhere.

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:34:16 -0500, the infamous FrozenNorth scrawled the following:

Hey, how'd we get back to the Deliverance thread from here?

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Woodworking helps the economy. I used to live in an apartment with sawdust embedded into the carpet. I had to wait until the neighbor's cars were gone so I could fire up my router. I was forced into buying a house with a huge walkout basement and the addiction was the cause. I use pine, fir, oak, cherry, maple, butternut, dogwood, walnut and the list goes on. I never bought maghogany, either because I did not see it or did not have enough money to buy it.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 04:53:31 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

Smallest stick for the job, good. But always the lowest grade? When will you ever use any of the best grade? That 2kbf will outlast you guys through your great grandsons, even if you have several.

I don't understand that thinking. My 93 y/o neighbor won't wear his suit or any of his decent shirts anywhere because "they're only for something special." He has 40 y/o shirts which have never been worn (or worn only once) for that reason.

Ah doona unnerstan it.

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:16:49 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

OK, Pineywood Pukey Emus. The bird with the single digit IQ. [Comparison of Aussies to Emus deleted out of compassion.]

That's half the fun, wot?

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lowest grade that will do the job makes sense to to me. Any high grade timber that is still there for the grandsons will have appreciated in value better than cash in the bank. If there is any left, they'll pay homage to his foresight every time they use some of it.

Aye, then ye will nae ken the canny Scot, laddie. Never spend a penny when a ha'penny will do. Every mickle makes a muckle. : )

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Heh. That's OK, mate.

Reliable research has established that after you left our shores, the average IQ in Austalia went up dramatically.

diggerop diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

That reminds me of a 9x year old person I knew who would put on a coat and a tie even if you were just stopping buy to say hello. It left you with the impression that your visit was the big event of the day, at least. He was a retired dentist who collected antique dental tools--they were in boxes, like those used for silverware, and extended ALL the way around his living room. In some ways, reminds me of some of the people here. Bury me with my Stanley #7... : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Like the 25bf of Dalbergia Nigra (pre-cites) I've been saving for the right project?

Scott Lurndal

It's been my experience with having a big pile of wood that it looks like a big pile until you try to do something.... I had about 5-600 bf of white oak, all sawn from the same tree that I thought would makes a lot of nice projects. The reality is that I have had problems on a couple projects with grain and color matching. I handled every one of those boards repeatedly and skip-planed many of them in an attempt to get the look I was after. Ran into the same thing recently with my walnut... it was sawn to various thicknesses and orientations but trying to get the right combinations of thickness, figure, etc., proved very difficult. The only way I pulled off a quilt rack was to resaw a 6"x8"x6' piece. The 4/4, 5/4 and 6/4 boards didn't work out either due to thickness, sawing orientation, figure or color.

One of the reasons I picked up a 36" Crescent bandsaw off Craig's List was so that I could saw short logs into whatever boards I wanted... flat, quarter, rift of whatever thickness. I think this saw will let me tap into the seemingly endless supply of free trees that are available. Recently someone listed a free cherry tree that was sawn to log lengths. Couldn't move fast enough and someone else snapped it up (probably for firewood!).

More wood is always better than less wood!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 04:44:27 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

You spent the money for the wood, so why shouldn't you use at least _some_ of the GOOD STUFF? That's what I don't understand.

The heard that the Scots invented the velcro wallet so they could hear it SCREAM every time it was opened up.

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

True I'm sure.

My Scottish grandfather maintained that the definition of perpetual motion, was two Scots chasing each other around in a circle, each trying to present the other with a bill.

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Had an uncle, German not Scot, who was so tight that he squeaked so bad you could hear him coming from 5 miles away.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:57:52 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

Har! OK, now let's do Irish jokes!

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

You're on, Sport.

A lesser known branch of our family tree is the O'Foolery's, - at least we like to keep it that way. My Uncle, Seamus O'Foolery emigrated to Oz and right away got a job digging ditches for sewers. His workmates were good enough to straightaway let him in on the secret that he could keep any gold he found for himself as a bonus. So he set to with a will. After ten years he began to suspect that perhaps the boys might have been having a lend of him. So he began scanning the employment ads, where he came across an ad for a job as a university professor. Begorrah, that's the job for me, he thought and the following day, he fronted up to the Dean of the university and he informed him that he was there for the job of professor. Now the Dean was a kind sort of a soul, and thought hard about how to tell Seamus he couldn't be a professor, but at the same time he had no wish to offend him. He decided to have him sit an IQ test and when he tallied up the results, he informed Seamus, that it showed that he wouldn't have the necessary abilities to be a professor, close but not quite, but he shouldn't take it as a reflection of his worth. Seamus took it with good grace and just as he was leaving, he asked, "This OiQ test, it measures your ability to do things , does it? "That's correct, said the Dean. You need an IQ of over 140 to be a professor." "Ah well, oi wuz just wontherin, what sort of OiQ you'd be needin' to tie your bootlaces." "Not much," said the Dean. 'About twenty would be enough." "Ah well, I thought as much. That explains it all." Mystified, the dean asked him what he meant. Seamus explained, "Now I now why so many Aussies wear thongs."

nb For the uninformed, a thong, (unlike in the US,) is an ingenious piece of Aussie footwear. A group of attractive young women on a beach wearing black rubber thongs may not be as anywhere near as exciting as you may have thought.

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

We call'em thongs here also, or AKA "flip flops".

Au contraire, mon ami! A group of Sheila's on the beach is guaranteed to be exciting, or something has drastically changed. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Regardless of which spot Sheila is wearing her thong on the beach.

Reply to
Leon

Spoiled for choice we are. Lovely animal, the Aussie sheila. Friendly, too. : )

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Are you absolutely sure about that...

G.

Reply to
Greg G

Heh. In reply, a little bush poetry ...........

There's a bloke who's known as Swingman,

Works with wood and and plays the bass,

I feel as though I've met him,

Though I've never seen his face.

I chanced upon him in the wreck,