What is your approach to woodworking?

Page 3 of 4
On 11/12/2009 05:19 PM, Leon wrote:

Do you actually use the cutlist optimization? I can see it for sheet goods but I wouldn't have thought that would work so well for solid wood when you need to select for grain pattern, work around knots, avoid waney edges, etc.
Chris

ABSOLUTELY! You have grain pattern and book matching slips on plywood if you are not buying rotary cut veneers, solid wood is not that much more of a problem. Given knots and grain, I simply cull the boards that I want to use in specific spots. I may do as many as 3 or 4 separate optimizations on a large project. There is no rule that you have to optimize all at one time.

From the photo's I've seen of your work, yours is really serious woodworking Leon. Something for myself and others to aspire too. I can imagine it gives you enormous satisfaction.
diggerop

Well thank you for the totally unexpected compliment. It has pretty much taken me 30 years to get there. ;~)
Woodworking in general still gives me great satisfaction.
Leon wrote:

Just this afternoon, after all these years, I finally came to the conclusion that I probably like building "jigs and fixtures", more than anything else ... go figure! :)
Needed to work on the crown molding on that hutch you helped me move the other day, was dragging my feet on getting it done, dreading going into the shop, and finally decided what I really needed to do was to make a "jig"!
After all, the crown, while simple, was custom stock and scarce, and there was not much left to screw up on.
Screw the hutch and crown! ... rummaged through the scrap pile and spent an absolute glorious, and thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in the shop, screwing and gluing and "jigging up" for the job!
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/simple1.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/simple2.jpg
Hmmmm ... when something that simple is more enjoyable than the end result, you may be well approaching things the wrong way?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman said:

I feel about the same. Much of the stuff I did in the beginning was making jigs and such to do "future projects" that required accuracy or positioning beyond that which was available from the machines out of the box. Tweaking the alignment of machines, sharpening blades, polishing beds and building jigs are:
Feel good projects whose ends are attainable in an hour to few days. Good warm-ups that put you in the mood for more challenging projects. Don't require complicated 3D plans and can be sketched on a napkin. Don't require expensive woods and mistakes aren't heart wrenching. NO SANDING or FINISHING short of a quick spritz of lacquer or shellac. Fun to use as you test and prove how much time and material they save. The possibility that you will dream up that "better mousetrap" that will earn a fortune and allow one to retire to the Caribbean Islands. (Maybe this one's far fetched... or is it. Think pocket screw jig?)
Now I have to go dream up a new jig to build. That chop saw fence looks good - now how to make it adjustable...
Not to stick my nose in, but I'd remove those two triangular towers of wood at the cut so that they don't shift and jam the blade. OK - I'm paranoid. ;-)
Greg G.
Just curious, Do you folks look at your yard's and think about ways to make it "better"? I'm not talking about the guy that wants to move him and his dog to the trailer park... ; ) More like trellices (sp), decorative fences, and stuff like that. The same imagination at work, no? This year in my new-to-me house I was content to learn how to grow a few hundred square feet of grass. Seems to be doing okay too! : )
Bill
Contact me off list.
Lew

Lew,
When I try to send you messages (today and a while back), they are returned to me indicating that your mailbox is "temporarily disabled". Please advise.
Bill

Lew,
If you would like to contact me off list, you can get my email address by following this link (until I remove it in few days)
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite /
Bill
"Bill" wrote: If you would like to contact me off list, you can get my email address by

Round and round the Mulberry bush.
Seems you're down and I back up.
Want to try again?
Lew

Here you go Lew,
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite /
Thanks, Bill

That's the province of the missus in this house. I just provide manual labour for the heavy stuff. Her gardens continually evolve - informal cottage garden style - and both front and back yards are completely covered in flowers, shrubs, (exotic and native) and fruit trees plus a large pond with fish and frogs. She's even got two banana trees growing, which the experts say will not grow this far south. She didn't know that, so grew them anyway. One has banana's on it now. The place is now a haven for birds and frogs and quolls (a small marsupial about twicw the size of a very large rat.) Oh and no grass. We spent the first year after we bought the place digging out every single blade of grass. Which means I have no grass to mow. Shame about that. ; )
diggerop
"diggerop" wrote:

Something more people need to think about in the southwestern US, especially here in SoCal, which is by and large a paved desert.
Water rationing is in vogue these days.
Lew

We've been on garden usage rationing for some time now, plus lawn sprinkler bans in summertime, yet most people here still try and maintain extensive lawns. Beats me.
diggerop
"diggerop" wrote:

Must be a remnant from the UK
Lew

I try to make my yard as maintainance free as possible. Now if I could get the Live Oak to drop its leaves in the Fall instead of the Spring.
snip

.
What fun would that be?? LOL
Maybe just slide the jig down an inch or so and make a new cut.
Leon wrote:

Relax, guys ... they're not going anywhere.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08