What is your approach to woodworking?

Page 2 of 4
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:57:52 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

Har! OK, now let's do Irish jokes!
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

You're on, Sport.
A lesser known branch of our family tree is the O'Foolery's, - at least we like to keep it that way. My Uncle, Seamus O'Foolery emigrated to Oz and right away got a job digging ditches for sewers. His workmates were good enough to straightaway let him in on the secret that he could keep any gold he found for himself as a bonus. So he set to with a will. After ten years he began to suspect that perhaps the boys might have been having a lend of him. So he began scanning the employment ads, where he came across an ad for a job as a university professor. Begorrah, that's the job for me, he thought and the following day, he fronted up to the Dean of the university and he informed him that he was there for the job of professor. Now the Dean was a kind sort of a soul, and thought hard about how to tell Seamus he couldn't be a professor, but at the same time he had no wish to offend him. He decided to have him sit an IQ test and when he tallied up the results, he informed Seamus, that it showed that he wouldn't have the necessary abilities to be a professor, close but not quite, but he shouldn't take it as a reflection of his worth. Seamus took it with good grace and just as he was leaving, he asked, "This OiQ test, it measures your ability to do things , does it? "That's correct, said the Dean. You need an IQ of over 140 to be a professor." "Ah well, oi wuz just wontherin, what sort of OiQ you'd be needin' to tie your bootlaces." "Not much," said the Dean. 'About twenty would be enough." "Ah well, I thought as much. That explains it all." Mystified, the dean asked him what he meant. Seamus explained, "Now I now why so many Aussies wear thongs."
nb For the uninformed, a thong, (unlike in the US,) is an ingenious piece of Aussie footwear. A group of attractive young women on a beach wearing black rubber thongs may not be as anywhere near as exciting as you may have thought.
diggerop
diggerop wrote:

We call'em thongs here also, or AKA "flip flops".

Au contraire, mon ami! A group of Sheila's on the beach is guaranteed to be exciting, or something has drastically changed. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Regardless of which spot Sheila is wearing her thong on the beach.

Spoiled for choice we are. Lovely animal, the Aussie sheila. Friendly, too. : )
diggerop
Leon said:

Are you absolutely sure about that...
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?pb87
Greg G.

Heh. In reply, a little bush poetry ...........
There's a bloke who's known as Swingman,
Works with wood and and plays the bass,
I feel as though I've met him,
Though I've never seen his face.
I chanced upon him in the wreck,
Whilst trawling through the net,
He seemed a man of character,
with strong opinions set.
I soon discovered that he'd been,
While youthful he still was,
A visitor to our fair shores,
This mighty land of Oz.
It seems that while in northern climes,
On warm and moonlight nights
He took the chance to sample,
Our fair female delights.
Now while I don't begrudge him this,
(I'm fair as I can be,)
I'm glad he went back to the States,
...... and left the rest for me.
diggerop
diggerop wrote:

Priceless!! ROFL ...
Actually, met my first wife, and still very good friend, somewhere between Alice Springs and Darwin, but she's a POME!
... another story worth telling sometime (just as you think you're he man brave hitchhiking the bitumen between Alice and Darwin, you meet a couple of British cuties just ahead of you doing the same ...) :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Especially if they're wearing only -foot- thongs, huh?
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 22:08:57 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

Oi get it. Cute! <kaff, kaff>
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Used to mean the same thing here. Somewhere along tthe line, the word got hijacked.

That reminds me of a 9x year old person I knew who would put on a coat and a tie even if you were just stopping buy to say hello. It left you with the impression that your visit was the big event of the day, at least. He was a retired dentist who collected antique dental tools--they were in boxes, like those used for silverware, and extended ALL the way around his living room. In some ways, reminds me of some of the people here. Bury me with my Stanley #7... : )
Bill
diggerop wrote:

My woodworking is a means to an end. I do it almost exclusively to make what can't be bought or if I perceive that what /can/ be bought isn't worth buying. Generally I'm a lot more concerned about how well what I build /works/ than in how it /looks/.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
diggerop wrote:

In a nutshell ... from this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/WideCherryS2S1E.JPG
and this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC2.JPG
to this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Hc251.jpg
... the smile says it all! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

So do the pictures of you on the wall above her bed. :-)
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote:

Hey, Bubba, that's my little girl ... and as long as those stay _pictures_!! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Hey, how'd we get back to the Deliverance thread from here?
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

It does. On that basis the work is priceless.
diggerop
Swingman wrote:

Looks like you might be the best paid woodworker in town!
:)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar