What is this type of board and where can I buy it?

Hi,
I saw a table with a surface that I liked and I took a picture with my phone:
http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/board.jpg
What is this type of board called? Where can I buy it? Does the inhomogeneity tend to cause problems?
Thanks!
Aaron Fude
On Nov 8, 12:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hard to tell without being able to examine it up close, but it looks like oak and/or maple and/or walnut strip flooring.
Perhaps similar to this:
http://www.elmwoodreclaimedtimber.com/FileUploads/con29.jpg
If that is, in fact, the case, it should be stable enough.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Looks like politicianwood to me - can't decide what it wants to look like, tries to be all things to all people, and every time you cut a new board from it you get a different shading. Its main characteristics are extreme weakness and poor workability. Best suited for firewood.

It looks like a cutting board with various types of wood, possibly walnut, cherry, and maple perhaps?
Thanks for the replies.
Actually it's not flooring, but more of a countertop. The strips are less than 1" apart.
With that extra information... Does it have a name and a place to buy it?
Thanks!

What extra information? It seems to be a counter top which was made by edge gluing boards of various kinds together. You may find someone at a cabinet shop who would sell something like that. Otherwise, just get the wood and get to gluing. Jim
On 8 Nov 2006 10:26:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

www.craft-art.com will make you something like that for a bunch of money. Well actually I do not know how expensive it is. They glue stuff together, plane it and sand it, cnc route it, finish sand and finish it. Dusty shop they have but the finish room is clean enough to get a nice finish. A computer account of mine.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Inhomogeneity...? The heterogeneous natures of the wood could cause some issues with the natural expansion and contraction wood experiences with the normal changes in humidity. Wood species have different coefficients of expansion, also dependent on how the wood is oriented. If you used the same wood species in each row there shouldn't be a problem beyond the usual with those sort of glue ups.
I don't know of any source for such a conglomeration of woods. Non-matched "scrap" woods litter...errr, grace every woodworker's shop. Giving one an excuse to use some of it up and earn some money would probably be well received.
This is not a true end grain, old meat market type butcher block, but Formica has sold that pattern as butcher block for over a score of years. It is probably edge grain maple which can run to many colors.
I hope this helps. There are some people who make counters of old bowling alley lanes. Same/similar effect.
There are several manufacturers and sources of workbench tops. Grainger's is one that sells hardwoood tops. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG