What is Living Trade?

Page 5 of 6
On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:25:09 -0500, Conan the Librarian

Think SHEEPY, sir.

Part of why I didn't like that one was the dizzy background. The grain in that pineywood makes me purely dizzy.

I think I like the end better than the side. Less contrast within the wood itself, more with the top.

Dealing with melted glue + delamination is "easy"?

No, and as a matter of fact, I took a day off last week and went up the Rogue to Lost Creek Dam. Check your email box for pics of crazy fishermen standing in the rapids, Butte Falls, and an earthen dam. I just may get a fishing license this year and give 'er a go.
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
brought forth from the murky depths:

As in "black sheep"?

You really should see a doctor about that vertigo of yours, Lar.

I was thinking about getting some of that ply that's specifically made for bending. One of my long-term projects is to make an Aztec calendar out of wood, and I'm trying to figure how to make a circular frame. I'm thinking that ply might be the only way I can accomplish that.

Oustanding pics, thanks. A couple of observations: That fisherperson isn't just crazy, he's totally insane. Then again, when we were in Moontana last year I saw some guys wading faster water than that. So that madrone was 9' in circumference?! Haysoos cristo, you'd need a big chainsaw for that guy. ;-) You mentioned a hatchery; I would have expected that to be a mostly wild fishery there. Do they just grow rainbows or brown trout to supplement the natives?
So I'm starting to see why you moved up into the rainforest. If you can keep the moss from growing on you I guess it's a nice place to live.
Chuck Vance
On 12 May 2004 05:00:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

Bingo, after only HOW MANY tries? ;)

Vertigo, hell. That's pineygo, plain and simple, son.

I didn't see any backup, either. (Y'know, a guy with an Marlin rig and a line to the back of the fisherman.)

NO, it was closer to 30', but the front limb was 9' in circ. Note the diminutive car in the foreground for scale.

Mostly steelhead and salmon but trout are included in the 85 species. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/InfoCntrFish/PDFs/BKGHatcheryFacts.pdf Amazing, wot?

I'm south of the rainforest. We average just 32"/yr here in the Rogue Valley, while the coast gets 100"+. Washington's Olympia rainforest gets 140"+. And for the most part, our rainfall here is light when it does hit, with sunshine for part of the day (before or afterward.)
Neener: you don't have a redwood tree in your back yard like I do.
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

OK, so I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. :-)

Vertigo, pineygo, whatever. I've never seen someone with such a prejudice against a particular wood. (Well, except for O'Deener and zebrawood, but that's another story.) Pine has a long and noble history in furniture-making and building.

From the looks of the current, I doubt that would help much. :-o

Interesting. So they raise and plant fish to benefit commercial fisheries as well as sportfishing? I'd be curious to see what sorts of policies they have on harvesting these fish. Catch and release doesn't really seem to jive with commercial harvesting.

Ah, so you don't need gills to live there?

Er, no ... that I don't. Just a couple of giant oaks.
Chuck Vance
On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:25:22 -0500, Conan the Librarian

So ScaryGingko(tmLJ) it, eh?

My prejudice is from several things. First, it being so cheap, so many dumb things being made from it. Pukey ducks, bird houses, etc. Second, I lived in a house with badly stained (naughty) pine in it for 26 years and never did pull up the carpet and strip/refinish it. You know how it goes. A bad stain job lives forever (until paint). (I'd like to hamstring the person who "finished" the interior of my last house. He may have puked into the shellac before applying it.)

He was in the slower stream, too. About 10' further and he would have been in 25mph faster rapids.

Salmon are overfished/endangered, so farming is necessary. BTW, there is no fishing permitted within the hatcheries, so forget about it. (No C&R either.) ;)

No, it's like a chillier, less-smoggy, friendlier, less-crowded LoCal. Summers get to 100F (with nice, cool nights.) There is no rain for 5+ months, just like LoCal. Winters are colder and wetter, down to 20F (with m+aybe an inch or two of shortlived snow) but not bad. I've almost adjusted to it now, after only 2 years here.

Are you as adverse to cutting them as I am mine? All i had in LoCal were poplars which I had planted myself. No, I take that back. I sorely miss my old pepper tree which graced the northeast corner of the lot. Beautiful! I don't think they grow up here but I really should check with the local Master Gardener's extension. My tree wasn't quite as large or full as this one, but close. http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/Schinus_molle.html
Thanks for reminding me.
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
brought forth from the murky depths:

Sounds like a residual problem from too many pharmaceuticals in the 60's.

He seems to be able to saw right through it, no problem.

Sounds like you're blaming the wood for the idjits who don't know how to use it properly. :-)

Heh. I'm not much on shooting fish in a barrel, thanks.
As an aside, one result of all the stocking of hatchery fish has been that ingenious anglers have come up with a special fly for catching those guys. It's called the Purina fly. Looks just like a little brown pellet.

Sounds awfully nice to me. (Of course here we get 6 months of 90-100 degrees with humidity in the same range.)

We saw lots of big ones down in the area around San Miguel de Allende. At first glance they looked like mesquites or huizaches (because of the foliage), but they had a totally different seedpod.
As for cutting trees on my land -- no way, unless the tree became diseased. But I am not averse to harvesting wood from others who bring down trees on their land:
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/logs2.jpg
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) *meeep* *meeeep*
On 14 May 2004 05:27:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

Nah, I stuck to alcoholism instead. I was much better at it and it was cheaper. ;)

OK, add that it is too soft, splits easily, and has too many knots. The smell gets old after awhile, too.

We keep our hummerditty LOW here, thanks. Despite the rain, the moisture is lower here than in LoCal. I am still needing to break out the chapstick several times a year up here.

Hey, who put that "d" in "averse" there? Why, I oughta...

I called it a West Coast Willow. Ants loved 'em.

So it wasn't you who added that "d", was it?

Huh? a -firewood- gloat? Hmmm...
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
that explains a lot...
I know, I know, larry has me plonked, but I couldn't resist. <g>
dave
Larry Jaques wrote:

(Conan The Librarian)

I can't say that I mind the smell, and you just have to pick your boards carefully to avoid knots. As for it being soft and splitting easily, that's true with most of what you can buy at your local Borg, but I have had the pleasure of working some stuff (guato pine) that is as hard as dense as many hardwoods. This stuff in particular had outstanding working properties (as well as a bit of figure):
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/stool2.jpg

I don't know what you use for firewood now that you're up in Oregon, but down here, a 4' section of mesquite log with a 24" diameter is considered worth saving. In fact, some folks might even try to make something out of it:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/mesquitable.jpg
Chuck Vance
On 17 May 2004 05:25:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I'm finding a lot more green doug fir up here. It's nice to work when wet (soft) and hardens up to oaklike density without twisting. All we had in LoCal were birdseye SPF (mostly waaavy pine) with some nice spruce studs at triple the price. Feh! Anyway, some day soon I'll make that sheet-goods cart out of the 2x8 DF. It's raining to day so I'll be spreading the last of the Weed'n'Feed tomorrow, opening another 1-sq/ft of space in the shop. It's garage sale time. Why do so many little projects always seem to get in the way of real wooddorking stuff?

Whatever floats yer boat. Got another pic of that with different lighting? It looks stained in that pic, and you know how I get...

Mesquite? I totally missed that in the original post, and the photo is uncommented, so Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me. I honor your gloat now, suckah.

Yeah, she were purty.
- In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare ------ http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development
On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:56:08 -0700, Larry Jaques

With me, it's becuase I'm anally retentive wrt efficiency. If there is a big juicy job to do, I can't start that until I do this small job that makes another small job down the line more efficiently handled, and before I do that, I have to move something else coz that will make another small (to-be-done-before-the-main-job) job "more efficient" The bottom line is that I'm still doing precursor jobbies six weeks later. Story of my life.
Larry Jaques wrote:

I can understand you not being too gung-ho about that sort of thing. I know if the only wood I ever saw was the Borg "pine" stuff, I'd probably give up woodworking.

I dunno, Lar. I don't seem to have that problem. :-)

No stain there, just shellac. What looks like blotching is actually some curl. Here's a photo of a different project that shows some of the neat grain the stuff has:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/repisa.gif
The panel in that picture was about as heavy as a maple panel of similar size, and the wood *scraped* beautifully. Not your granddad's pine for sure. (Well, actually it might be more like what he could have gotten.)

Tendjew. You were starting to worry me. I was wondering if you normally burned the stuff when you lived in lowCal.

Thanks. Beeyoootiful grain in that section of log.
Chuck Vance
On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:23:32 -0500, Conan the Librarian

<g>
Yeah, you finish a project or two a year, don't you?

Yes, better.

Yeah, the larger pineywood forests they had 70+ years ago prolly were nicer than the borg-a-matic pretzels they turn out now.

No, those who used fireplaces ordered oak (sigh), avocado (sigh), or yewcallapeetusez. I saw manzanita growing (small) out in the wilds of the deserts we knew as the "California foothills". Y'know, 4-6 INCHES in diameter and 8' tall. Veritable dinosaur teeth. The only mesquite I saw was in bags: soak 'n smoke BBQ chips. =:0
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
brought forth from the murky depths:

Sometimes even more. Or at least I did until I got back into flyfishing. I've been working on a hutch for SWMBO for months now. In the meantime I've been doing smaller projects for special occasions, but this darned hutch is my albatros now.

It's unlike any pine I've worked with before or since. I just wish I had an idea of what it's real name is so I could try to track some more down.

What we have now is tree factories. No comparison whatsoever.

Every once in a while I'll see some mesquite in firewood bundles they sell in front of convenience stores around here. Ironically, mesquite was usually considered a trash wood until us yuppie wooddorkers got a hold of it and drove the price up.
Chuck Vance
(Conan The Librarian)

I can't say that I mind the smell, and you just have to pick your boards carefully to avoid knots. As for it being soft and splitting easily, that's true with most of what you can buy at your local Borg, but I have had the pleasure of working some stuff (guato pine) that is as hard as dense as many hardwoods. This stuff in particular had outstanding working properties (as well as a bit of figure):
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/stool2.jpg

I don't know what you use for firewood now that you're up in Oregon, but down here, a 4' section of mesquite log with a 24" diameter is considered worth saving. In fact, some folks might even try to make something out of it:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/mesquitable.jpg
Chuck Vance
Well, I have to ask. Where did you find that mesquite?
Also, I like the tile topped table. I may do something similar for an Acoma pot that I have. Tell us the story of the tile and the pot on your table.
What is guato pine and where do you find it? I guess I'll have to call the guy's at Clarkes Hardwoods.
(Conan The Librarian)

Well, I Googled guato pine and it led me to your web site. I found the answers to my questions. :-)
(Conan The Librarian)

On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:25:22 -0500, Conan the Librarian

I just get plain -dizzy- seeing that particular striping in your vertical-grained benchtop, that's all. It may be a side-effect of my astigmatism. Houndstooth and small checkerboard patterns do the same thing to me, but I can climb into the rigging of a moving schooner without any trouble. No vertigo.

Doesn't he also have an aversion to workmuttwood?
----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) wrote in message

Geez, Chuckie, ya sound like the effeminate little decorator ya are...taking credit for inherent color and grain as if you had created it. That ain't working wood, ya little pissant.
D. A. Clark wrote:

Go away trollboy ... there are grownups here who want to talk about woodworking.
Chuck Vance