What is Living Trade?

Well, thanks, Conan, I find the English language amazing, millions of words, many with multiple meanings and spellings; yet, the average individual utilizes a vocabulary of only some two-hundred and fifty words. Now, I am not sure if that includes grunts, burps, or farts...which are also widely recognized as verbal expressions of dissension, being words not at all. Perhaps, you would know? dac

Reply to
D. A. Clark

My pleasure, D.A. As I'm sure you'll agree, condescension is much more effective when the words are spelled correctly.

Verbal flatulance isn't really my area of expertise. Speaking of which, welcome back. I do so look forward to the pearls of wisdom that I'm sure you'll deign to share with us during your (as always) all-too-short stay.

And if you should find that you'd like to actually discuss woodworking, I'll be glad to. In particular, I enjoy a good discussion about the use of various non-electrical tools.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Ah yes, visualization. Visualization is hardly new ground. See the wood, be the wood - been there done that. As for solid as oak, perhaps you're unfamiliar with the umpteen varieties of canyon oak, scrub oak, you-name-it oak that grow in the chaparral of the left coast, but most them are splintery and brittle, and won't really hold up to any meaningful scrutiny. Their best application is as firewood.

I think positive self-talk while doing the work is a mental preparation is what helps me the most. I learned this as a baseball player, going beyond the commonly-known visual technique of picturing the perfect pitch, its velocity, spin and trajectory, then visualization my perfect swing, solid contact, follow-through and pose as the ball rockets through the air and clangs off the facade of the third deck. This visualization breaks down if the batter is standing in the box telling himself, "Don't swing at a bad pitch. Don't bail out. Don't open up too fast, etc." He will invariably chase one in the dirt, while bailing out and opening up his hips too fast. The same applies to the dorking of the wood with, "Don't slip. Don't cut it crooked, Don't don't don't don't."

And so therefore I ackowledge what it is I can do (say, put a perfect edge on a chisel, and apply that edge to the work), accept what it is I cannot control (an unseen pitch pocket, the neighbor's marijuana party next door giving me a decent contact high, the amount of light left in the day, the negligible amount of cartilage left in my hip joints) and then let the outcome be what it is.

This isn't to stay I stay within my comfort zone, but I don't set myself up for abject disappointment. When I am attempting to extend my abilities, I do it on scrap - partially to save money or conserve expensive hardwood, but more in keeping with the assertive, esteeming message. This reduces stress (the inner conflict that occurs when the body must resist the urge to choke the living shit out of some asshole who desperately deserves it) in terms of the nearly always fatal, "don't f*ck this up, it's $6.99 a bdft," while keeping me firmly rooted in reality (the opposite of denial), which I would depart from if I were to completely discard the notion that using up expensive hardwood for the sole purpose of skill-building is a prudent use of limited natural and monetary resources.

The process of evolving my woodworking process, if you will.

Not sure what your interest in panty lace is, but I'm doubly sure I won't be participating in an in-depth exploration of the subject on this ng. Not to say that panties themselves aren't worth exploring, provided they're being worn by someone with which you have a more than passing relationship, and they've extended a specific invitation for the exploration. Speaking of extended, if you'd like to take a gander at some long, stiff, thick, nice-looking wood, point your browser here:

in zen and the art of woodworking.

O'Deen

Reply to
Patrick Olguin

what it is.

Hello Patrick, Sorry for chopping your message up, but I read good experience and thought. Consider this: The doctrine of Zen...(whereby, enlightenment may be acheived by meditation and intuition, stimulated by the contemplation of beauty and simplicity)...wouldn't cut much wood; perhaps, to work wood is to take responsibility to reflect upon each accomplishment, each failure; that the yin and the yang might balance. Each chronicle of experience is the basis of your knowledge and understanding; that beyond a man's common sense and manual dexterity there is reason. And, perhaps, only time in apprenticeship will bring enlightenment. Could this be living trade? dac

Reply to
D. A. Clark

On the contrary, Charlie. It would seem your only expertise. dac

Reply to
D. A. Clark

On the contrary, DA. I also do a bit of woodworking. And all the wood is dimensioned, carved and joined with handtools:

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Back to you.

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Well, Charlie, someday, you might be ready for a real project. dac

Reply to
D. A. Clark

Nice work, Chuck!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

And what, pray-tell, do you consider a "real" project, D?

While we're at it, exactly what is your purpose for making your semi-annual appearance on this newsgroup? You haven't contributed anything thus far, other than the fact that you're still looking for this "living trade" of yours.

Chuck Vance

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Nice work. Like the Flytying station. Is it your own design or did you use plans? If you used plans, where are they available? Thanks

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Thanks for the kind words, Phil. The design is of my own making, but I took elements from several tying stations I found on the web. I did a Google Images search on "fly tying station", "fly tying bench" and found enough ideas there to give me a good start.

In particular, a place called Coldstream

was my inspiration for the choice of figured woods, and the basic form. I just modified things to suit my own particular needs.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

I had a sneak around your site but couldn't see inside the box- you did build an inside for it didn't you?

I have to agree with Larry, tres' nice. The fly tying station is beautiful wood though, I don't fish but it makes me want to use it.

More'n one Chuck, more'n one.

I tried to build a small sewing cabinet spool holder on the weekend and stuffed it up totally. It turned out to be firewood, my worst effort yet. Measure twice they say, well, I did that - but why don't they say "get the right spool" instead?

Better days are just ahead...

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

On 10 May 2004 04:54:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

So I'm picky. ;) While I love a certain shepherd's work and aspire to his level of expertise, I hold a -vastly- different concept of contrast than he.

I don't recall actually liking that one. (Feel better now?)

Why dincha just steam bend it and make an oval chest? The compass plane woulda fit just fine, and it would have been a reason to go buy a cooper's rabbet plane (if you don't already have one), which also would have fit right in. ;)

Yeah. I had to plonk Tawm once again since I don't want to listen to any of the bay area crap he continues to argue with and quote. It's to the point that anyone quoting bay spew is now plonked. I wonder how many others at that level of disgust.

Well, I've caught up on spring chores around here, got the garden in and most of the drip irrigation in, so now I can get back to the shop. First up is the pivoting sheet-goods storage rack. I need to get them off the wood rack where they now lean. Then I'll get back on that mantle scraping.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

done!

Reply to
Greg Millen

Damn, I got so busy with the outside that I totally forgot about that. :-)

It's got two rows of chisel holders, which are nothing more than some 4/4 oak with a series of vertical holes drilled and slots cut in the front edge.

Hey, you don't have to fish to tie flies. :-) As an aside, SWMBO saw the wood that I was using for the station and commented something to the effect of, "Why are you using all that fancy stuff for nothing more than a tool?".

Oh well, she still doesn't quite get it. :-) (But you obviously do.)

Thanks, Groggy.

Oooops, that hurts. I dunno how sewing thread goes, but thankfully, the flytying thread spools are pretty uniform.

So can you at least rationalize it as "practice"? :-}

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

A "certain shepherd"? That went right over my head.

That's more like it, Lar. :-)

It wasn't much, just a dovetailed box with a sliding top:

and
But it made me realize what an affinity willow and walnut have for each other.

Maybe one of these days I'll do just that. :-) First I need to practice on bending something easy like ply.

Actually, I was referring more to our friend D.A., but I know what you mean. I've gotten to the point where I just ignore the BAD stuff. It's like target practice; it helps keep your eye sharp, but gets old really fast.

Sounds like ... work. So did you wind up using your bamboo fishing pole for garden stakes? ;-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:25:09 -0500, Conan the Librarian brought forth from the murky depths:

Think SHEEPY, sir.

The grain in that pineywood makes me purely dizzy.

I think I like the end better than the side. Less contrast within the wood itself, more with the top.

Dealing with melted glue + delamination is "easy"?

No, and as a matter of fact, I took a day off last week and went up the Rogue to Lost Creek Dam. Check your email box for pics of crazy fishermen standing in the rapids, Butte Falls, and an earthen dam. I just may get a fishing license this year and give 'er a go.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks for the info. I live in a fly fishing area but do not fish myself. The tables could be an additional outlet for me. Will look at the sites and get some inspiration

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Geez, Chuckie, ya sound like the effeminate little decorator ya are...taking credit for inherent color and grain as if you had created it. That ain't working wood, ya little pissant.

Reply to
D. A. Clark

Conan the Librarian wrote

Wow, that's way beyond the synthesis of my ganglion perceptibilities...what website did you find that idea on, Chuckie? By the way, why did ya use all that fancy wood stuff on that fool...er, stool cabinet?

Reply to
D. A. Clark