What is Living Trade?

Page 1 of 6
No two men have the same set of tools or the same set of experiences; therefore, no two men may have the same knowledge or understanding of working wood. It is living trade.
The living trades are the inherent occupations of man, derived in the genesis of time; whereby, a man may do well for himself by applying common sense and manual dexterity to the materials found at hand.
On 2 May 2004 11:11:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) brought forth from the murky depths:

Or they can google the entire thread from several Decembers ago. http://tinyurl.com/37k8f
Howdy again, Clark.
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Well that was certainly a trip down memory lane :)
Thanks Larry!
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Larry Jaques" <novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com> wrote in message
brought forth from the murky depths:

De nada. Fun thread, huh?
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
'twas. I'm not sure I have the energy for another one though...
although......... <g!>
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Larry Jaques" <novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com> wrote in message
brought forth from the murky depths:

Uh, oh...
----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels-- http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ================================================================
Consider this, if one would investigate all the major technological advances made by man throughout history, you would find an individual who has returned to the basic materials at hand. For example, the computer chip from a handful of silica sand. This is living trade.
On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:47:26 -0700, D. A. Clark wrote:

Well, the vacation was nice. I guess I'll just have to brace myself...
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Larry Jaques" <novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com> wrote in message
All there is to know about the living trades is yet to be known; no man is master, we are apprentices all of our lives. In pursuit of living trade, such knowledge and understanding, apprenticeship is the journeyman's path.
Regardless of advancing technologies, the first principles of working wood...to cut, to shape, to fasten...have remained the same throughout the millenniums. This is living trade.

In the words of the noted American philosopher: It's like deja-vu all over again.
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL): While we're having these annoying flashbacks, anyone remember "The Man in the Doorway"?
     snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) writes:

My all-time fav was fArt, captain of the turd barge. Gawd, I still laugh thinking back on those threads! Paddy and Bitchslap Bob were in their prime. I definitely miss Bob's presence on the wreck.
OBWW/tooltalk: If anybody wants to help out, I can get a good deal on a local used Italian slider for under 4 grand. Unfortunately, my disposable income is well under 4 grand. :(
--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
On 5 May 2004 18:50:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote:

In the shoplight soft it sits Bole unbroken Questioning The old man sits Considers this And other things
There is no hurry to the man Nor is there for the wood The old man watches Sunday - maybe Perhaps Perhaps not
It was a famous tree, you know At least to those that mattered A swing once hung Oh, just so Those children So much So much
The entry made The heart revealed No disappointment
It will do
It will surely do
Regards, Tom.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote in message

Absolutely.

Lawdy, but you *do* have a way with words. I'm pretty sure I've never seen trousseau before on the wreck.
Or lace panties for that matter. But I digress.

That's "dissension". (Just trying to help; words are more solid when spelled correctly.)

Naw, it's more like plaid shirts.
HTH.
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) You go first, OK?
snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) wrote in message:

Well, thanks, Conan, I find the English language amazing, millions of words, many with multiple meanings and spellings; yet, the average individual utilizes a vocabulary of only some two-hundred and fifty words. Now, I am not sure if that includes grunts, burps, or farts...which are also widely recognized as verbal expressions of dissension, being words not at all. Perhaps, you would know? dac
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote in message (Conan The Librarian) wrote in message:

My pleasure, D.A. As I'm sure you'll agree, condescension is much more effective when the words are spelled correctly.

Verbal flatulance isn't really my area of expertise. Speaking of which, welcome back. I do so look forward to the pearls of wisdom that I'm sure you'll deign to share with us during your (as always) all-too-short stay.
And if you should find that you'd like to actually discuss woodworking, I'll be glad to. In particular, I enjoy a good discussion about the use of various non-electrical tools.
Chuck Vance
snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) wrote in message

On the contrary, Charlie. It would seem your only expertise. dac