What is Living Trade?

No two men have the same set of tools or the same set of experiences; therefore, no two men may have the same knowledge or understanding of working wood. It is living trade.

Reply to
D. A. Clark

The living trades are the inherent occupations of man, derived in the genesis of time; whereby, a man may do well for himself by applying common sense and manual dexterity to the materials found at hand.

Reply to
D. A. Clark

On 2 May 2004 11:11:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) brought forth from the murky depths:

Or they can google the entire thread from several Decembers ago.

again, Clark.

----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well that was certainly a trip down memory lane :)

Thanks Larry!

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:40:52 GMT, "Rob Stokes" brought forth from the murky depths:

De nada. Fun thread, huh?

----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

'twas. I'm not sure I have the energy for another one though...

although.........

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

On Mon, 03 May 2004 04:47:45 GMT, "Rob Stokes" brought forth from the murky depths:

Uh, oh...

----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases =================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Consider this, if one would investigate all the major technological advances made by man throughout history, you would find an individual who has returned to the basic materials at hand. For example, the computer chip from a handful of silica sand. This is living trade.

Reply to
D. A. Clark

Well, the vacation was nice. I guess I'll just have to brace myself...

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

LOL!

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

All there is to know about the living trades is yet to be known; no man is master, we are apprentices all of our lives. In pursuit of living trade, such knowledge and understanding, apprenticeship is the journeyman's path.

Reply to
D. A. Clark

Regardless of advancing technologies, the first principles of working wood...to cut, to shape, to fasten...have remained the same throughout the millenniums. This is living trade.

Reply to
D. A. Clark

In the words of the noted American philosopher: It's like deja-vu all over again.

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL): While we're having these annoying flashbacks, anyone remember "The Man in the Doorway"?

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

My all-time fav was fArt, captain of the turd barge. Gawd, I still laugh thinking back on those threads! Paddy and Bitchslap Bob were in their prime. I definitely miss Bob's presence on the wreck.

OBWW/tooltalk: If anybody wants to help out, I can get a good deal on a local used Italian slider for under 4 grand. Unfortunately, my disposable income is well under 4 grand. :(

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder

There are a many ways to work wood. I have cut, shaped and fastened more projects in my head than I will ever be able to physically accomplish. Mental exercises can make you a better woodworker; and, words can be as solid as oak. Perhaps, you would be more comfortable with an inquiry about which tablesaw to buy, or what dado head is best...like a virgin bride shopping her trousseau. Only, I choose not to perceive the working of wood to be an excursion for lace panties. Three years later, my projects are remembered; I have nothing to prove...nor does insult dissuade me. The living trade is for philisophical discussion between men for the fair dissemination of knowledge and understanding. I would solicit intelligent conversation, opinion, anecdotes, or topical dissention. What is living trade? Or, is this ng just lace panties?

Reply to
D. A. Clark

[...]

In the shoplight soft it sits Bole unbroken Questioning The old man sits Considers this And other things

There is no hurry to the man Nor is there for the wood The old man watches Sunday - maybe Perhaps Perhaps not

It was a famous tree, you know At least to those that mattered A swing once hung Oh, just so Those children So much So much

The entry made The heart revealed No disappointment

It will do

It will surely do

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Yeah, I miss old B-2 Bawb. I was wondering where he went, and then I saw he's posting some on one of the handtool discussion groups (Woodcentral?). I tried pinging him but haven't heard back from him. He would have had a field-day with our current high-school troll whose name must not be mentioned.

"Italian slider"? What is that ... Galliano and Sambuca in a shotglass?

Though why anyone would want a *used* one is beyond me.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Absolutely.

Lawdy, but you *do* have a way with words. I'm pretty sure I've never seen trousseau before on the wreck.

Or lace panties for that matter. But I digress.

That's "dissension". (Just trying to help; words are more solid when spelled correctly.)

Naw, it's more like plaid shirts.

HTH.

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) You go first, OK?

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

From: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (Bob Zajicek) Newsgroups: rec.woodwork> >and you're my 10th! bye...

Jeepers, lookee there Beav! That ol' stinkerpants Keith went and upset widdle Baybee Dave.

Bwhahahahahahahaha.

Hooboy.

Cheers, Bob

------------ Marietta, GA