What is it? Set 531

Page 2 of 2
On 2/6/2014 11:17 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Yes. A rule for measuring. Third time we agree. LOL

3102 looks like an old style ice cleat that locks on a shoe heel.

Good answer
3100
Hurdle/Jump for Dog Show.

Hurdle is correct but not for a dog show, this is the name of an old portable fence for livestock.
David B says...

It's an exhibition display of a hurdle makers tools and a miniature example of the finished product.
Steve

Yes, it's part of the Sellars Gallery, I should have mentioned the fence was miniature. Some excellent photos of hundreds of vintage tools on display can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_firley/sets/72157639298284496/

I forgot to mention the bonus question this week, what is the tool in the middle directly below the hurdle, the one with the long curved head?
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I was going to ask the owner if anyone in his family was a biker, but then read his original email and saw the history of these two items:
"I found these in a local estate. They were in the bottom of a box that had Taillight lenses, old camera and cigarette lighters."
Rob H. wrote:

3098 bears a strong resemblance to a tool used to notch plastic trim moldings to go around corners . I had a similar unit that was designed for use with aluminum edge cap strips .
--
Snag

Sounds like a good use for it.

A J channel cutter was my first impression but I couldn't find anything close to it on the web
enl snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I don't think it's a crimper, it has two blades

In the past I have been concerned about accidentally posting something inappropriate. There was just one time that I remember when someone sent me something they found after some tenants moved vacated a rental, luckily we got an answer before I posted it, though I was leery of using it since it looked a bit suspect.

Correct
On 2/6/2014 4:03 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3097 is the bolt for a tri square.. stanley probably.. not very high quality.
3098 Veneer snipper.. cuts at 90 and 45 3100 Display of fence making tools. 3102 Cleat for ice... locks on someone's heal of the boot to prevent slipping.
--
Jeff

On 2/6/2014 4:03 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3099 Hair Curlers
--
Jeff

I hope it turns out to be something more interesting than that!

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3097)    Looks to me like a cheaper version of the part which locks the     sliding scale in a combination square. The projection lives     in a groove the length of the scale on one side. A nut on the     thread (usually with a spring in it to apply friction while     loose) draws the part and locks the scale in position.
    The Starrett scales and squares usually have a half-round groove     and projection.
3098)    Hmm ... perhaps for cutting overlapping ends in joined flat     belts or sanding belts.
3099)    The two holes in the flat end appear to be for screwing it in     and out of something. But there does not appear to be a     threaded piece -- either in the open end, or in the inside of     the flat end.
    But at a guess, I would say that it is intended to be a male     connector pin -- all of the wires wipe on the inside of a     cylindrical female end making for quite reliable electrical     connections (But a firm way to mount it on the rest of the     connector seems to be missing, so I am not sure.)
3100)    Assuming that the only item which appears completely in the     frame is the puzzle object, I think that this is a frame for a     saw for cutting firewood. Presumably it is tightened by a     twisted rope between the two top ends.
3101)    A hanging foot rest -- perhaps for something like a Ferris     wheel. Or it might be part of a foot pumped tool of some sort.
3102)    This looks like something intended to clamp onto the heel of a     heavy shoe for conditions like the relatively nasty weather we     have been having recently. Ideally there should be two of them.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Rob H. wrote:

3097 - Got the rest of the sliding square this fits?
3098 - Picture framing miter cutter ?
3099 - Looks like a hand grip for a bike, Maybe it's supposed to have a colored insert?
3100 - Sluice gate.
3101 - Looks like an adjustable treadle step. Adjustable so you have a better angle ?
3102 - Forerunner of Yaktrax, Clamp them to your boot heels...
--
Steve W.

Still not sure about a few of them this week, answers for the rest have been posted:
Rob