What is it? Set 514

Page 2 of 2
Rob H. wrote:

It is the direction finding antenna from an ARN -6 low frequency ADF system. I worked on many of them.
John

------------------------------------------- "John" wrote:

------------------------------------------------- Was this used as part of the "omni" navigation network in use back in the '60's?
Had an "omni" beacon with in 100 yds of my boat in the 1980 time frame.
Lew
On Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:35:03 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

ARN-6 was a fairly simple radio receiver broadcast band and below IIRC. The re was a second "sense" antenna that nulled out the ambiguous readings give n by the rotating loop antenna. I worked on them too, but there was only on e on the base I was stationed. It had nothing to do with "Omni". (VOR, Vis ual Omni Range)
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The nav unit was the     ARN 14 for the vhf vor system. The military system was the Tacan system also included in most navigation ground stations. This system gave distance as well as bearing information. The vor system also had a Distance Measuring Equipment DME which for civilian use gave the distance to the station from the aircraft.
The ARN 6 was a low frequency direction finding unit. It would home in on any radio broadcast signal. The antenna had a goniometer which was a rotation ferite antenna and a long wire sense antenna. the goniometer was servoed with information from the two detected signals. The ferite antenna would seek a null signal and the indicator in the panel would indicate the direction of the station.
John
On 10/10/2013 4:26 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.
2995, first thought is oil drain plug with magnet. Second thought is burner orifice from an ocean going steamer.
2996, when misbehaved carpentry students are made to sit in the corner, they must wear this.
2997, prototype of the dirigible Hindenberg. This lead filled model was less successful than the hydrogen model.
2998, possibly an early ending machine, but for what products, no clue.
2999, cracking walnuts, and crimping wire lugs.
3000, part of a carpenter's measuring device. The offset wobbler and shimmy shaft are missing.
Good one, Rob. You got me on all of them. No clue.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

<snip>

Are you sure the Hindenburg was more successful than the Lead Zeppelin? :-)
RogerN
On 10/10/2013 1:45 PM, RogerN wrote:

Yeah, Lead Zepplin never got off the ground.
At least, I zink not!
http://hogansheroesfanclub.com/images/tvGuide06may1967p16SchultzPictureLarge.jpg
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Try this instead -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin
--
Steve W.

    The usual posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking -- where do the rest of you post from (which newsgroup, not where are you sitting. :-)
2995)    Looks to me like a fuseable plug -- in a boiler or something     similar -- designed for the pink stuff to melt and blow out when     the temperature and pressure get too high.
2996)    For supporting something printed on paper -- not quite stiff     enough to be cardboard. Perhaps music at an organ, or something     similar - except it is not clear how it mounts to what from just     the single view.
2997)    Streamlined housing for an antenna (fairly high frequency) on     an aircraft. Not metal -- probably some fiberglass or plastic     selected to be transparent to the frequency of RF involved.
2998)    It vaguely looks like a Coca-Cola bottle vending machine,     except that I would expect the output side to be on the bottom,     not the top.
    But I don't see a power cord to keep the bottles cold. (Perhaps     a lack of the proper angle of view. :-)
    At least some kind of vending machine, with the lever, the coin     slot, and the coin return slot on the right.
    Does the presence of the fire extinguisher have any     significance?
    And it seems to be in a church, based on what looks like a     stained-glass window behind it. :-)
2999)    Different possibilities:
    1 -- stapler and staple remover
    2 -- Oil can opener and pouring spout.
    3 -- something which I have missed totally.
3000)    Looks like some kind of woodworking tool -- *made* by a good     woodworker. But what its precise function is I'm not sure.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I'm guessing it was coiled up on the back, but I didn't take the time to look that close.

I took the photo in a second-hand store, there was lots of stuff piled everywhere, so there isn't any real significance. BTW, I like the interior shot that I found on the web better than the external one and probably would have used it as the puzzle had I found it before I posted yesterday morning.

Thanks, that's a good photo, I just added a link to it on the site.
The answers for this week have been posted, along with an update on the saw from a few weeks ago:
On 10/11/2013 5:46 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Every week, I look for the answers post. I recognize it cause Rob puts "answers" in the subject line. I keep looking.

Ok, I'll put answers in the subject line next week.