What is it? Set 499

I need some help with the third and fifth ones this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2908 Standard weeding fork

No ideas on the others!

Reply to
Rodwell

All new to me this week. One wild guess:

2907 A nutcracker. Not the kind of nuts we eat, the threaded metal kind that get corroded and frozen on plumbing fixtures.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2907 - Perhaps a lever to immobilize a small, keyed shaft. 2909 - The handle is similar to those on timber framing slicks, but the tool's sharpened edges look too blunt to cut wood. Maybe it is a garden tool ....
Reply to
joeljcarver

Posting from my desk top PC, as always.

2905 ice man's tongs? 2906, no clue 2907, pill splitter for elephant pills (or a nut buster for auto mechanics) 2908, carpet tack puller 2909, non sparking coal scoop. Part of the handle is missing, there is a T bar through the top loop. 2910, no clue.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2905 lawn aerator tines

2906 C hook (predecessor to the S Hook)

2907 Braking rusted Nuts

2908 Weeding Fork

2909 Shovel from an toy truck

2910 electrical insulator

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Ha ha, I thought it might be easier to gauge the size if you could see more of the table, it doesn't cost me any more to add as many photos as I want so what the heck.

I still haven't found the answer for this shovel, I think they must have quit making this model.

Reply to
Rob H.

This seems to be the most popular suggestion for this tool, though I haven't had any luck yet on my patent searches for it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yep, you nailed it!

Reply to
Rob H.

2909: Barking spud from the 1940s or 1950s. Used to remove gritty bark from a log prior to sawing.
Reply to
j Burns

2905) Looks like something for picking up a bundle of hay or something similar. Lacking a better image of the hinge area, I'll have to guess that the fork tines close as the handles are spread apart.

The "Larger" links still fail on FireFox on a Solaris system, but work on a now ancient copy of Opera.

2096) Perhaps something to stretch sheets or towels across while drying?

2097) This looks like a relative of a "nut splitter", which drives a built-in chisel into one face of a nut which is frozen onto a bolt to allow it to be removed.

This one seems to combine the chisel and the wrench lever into a single tool. Slip it over the nut, tighten the nuts to drive the chisel in, and then pull on the handle in the right direction to loosen the nut.

It also is easier to put in place with that pivoted bar.

2098) No real clue about this one. Not even a reasonable guess. :-)

Well ... on second thought, perhaps for drawing fairly lightweight nails, pivoting on the bulge shown just before the fork.

2099) Given the sharpened edges, it looks to be to cut a square bottomed trough. The stud and ring suggest that it may be part of a plow, which provides the support and the motion, and the handle lets you lever the load up. Perhaps for picking up blocks of soil with a plant growning from them for transplanting?

2100) Hmmm ... pair of insulated electrodes, with separate terminals to each, and a pair of projections which cross at right angles inside a pair of insulating wood handles. I would guess that it is for spot welding two pieces of wire together where they cross, perhaps for repairing a welded fence. At a guess, the terminals go to leads which feed from an automotive lead-acid storage battery. Maybe one of the older 6V ones from the 1950s and before.

Now to post and then see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sounds like a good idea for it, though for now it remains a mystery until we can find a good reference.

Tough set this week, four of the answers have been posted, hopefully we'll get the other two in the near future.

Rob H.

j Burns

If you scroll down about 2/3, there a Miscellaneous heading. It's the first item.

Reply to
j Burns

The strength of the support link suggests that this would be a reasonable use for the item.

Hmm ... Item (2910) the two nuts were way too large for the kind of current needed to run the siren -- but perhaps built out of what was available. They (and the studs) look to be copper, brass, or bronze, all good choices for this kind of application.

I wonder what voltage the siren was driven by. Given the locale, line voltage is unlikely to be available, so it could be from a vehicles starting battery, and the larger sie is perhaps better for that. Lower voltage means higher current for the same power.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Rob H. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

2907 doesn't look useful to break rusted nuts. It appears to be designed to go around a long object and turn something that the tooth would fit into. That said I have no idea what it is...
Reply to
Larry

Don't forget that you may be assembling this out in the woods. You want good solid wing nuts that you can tighten up with calloused fingers without losing them in the leaf litter.

Reply to
Dr Nick

Before diesels, logging depended on steam. The whistle punk blew the steam whistle to signal the yarder operator controlling the movement of logs. He was also the safety lookout. I suppose the trigger allowed him to choose a vantage point and activate the whistle by a solenoid.

Reply to
j Burns

Great work on providing the answer! I'm sure the owner will appreciate it. Finding the patent was a lot easier after I knew the tool's purpose:

Rob H.

I forgot to mention that it came from Vancouver Island, the person who bought it there said that a couple of people had verified that it was a switch for a signal.

Reply to
Rob H.