What is it? Set 459

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the second and fourth items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2665: What the U shaped prongs bolt to appears to be a vehicle flywheel. The central bolt holes and dowels are clearly similar to crankshaft end fittings and I think I can see starter motor ring gear teeth at the left of the picture. However other than that I'm stumped. All I can think is it's designed to take up backlash between clutch and engine as some sort of cushioning device rather like modern dual mass flywheels.
2668: This would join two separate wires or cables. Maybe a fence tensioner or cable extender of some sort.
2670: Some kind of sump plug spanner cum penknive. Maybe vehicle oil pan sumps or given the knife a firefighter's tool if any water valves are operated by square plugs of that type.
--
Dave Baker

Perhaps they are parts / jig for pulling ring gear onto the flywheel??

Yes, it's a flywheel for a Model T, as some people have mentioned.
2655 If I guesss that the V/U shaped piece is a magnet, then the assembly is the rotor of a magneto-like generator, making 16 pulses per revolution. If they are positioned with like poles together, then it makes alternating polarity pulses. If they are positioned with unlike poles together (and non-magnetic clamps), then it makes dipolar pulses of short duration, like a magneto.
On 9/20/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

says...

I had one of those magnets.
I was told it came from a magneto.
I think my grandfather said it was from a Model A Ford--but that was a very long time ago and the only thing I'm sure about now is that it was a good, strong magnet in 1962.

Good answer, in my last post I forgot to mention that it's a magneto flywheel.
On 9/20/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

--
<:3 )~

Sounds like a good possibility but I couldn't find one like it on the net.
On 9/20/12 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

For example, I've read that in machine tools, shafts from 1-7/16" to 1-3/4" use 3/8" keys. Woodworkers use square 3/8" dowels.
First, the troubleshooter sees if the peg will fit through the hole in his knife. Then he sticks the tapered rod in the hole to see how far it will go.
2665 - A magnet. Part of an electric motor/dynamo.
2666 - A Yeti/Mammoth comb.
2667 - A bicycle saddle holder.
2669 - An egg cup.
2670 - A door opener for when the handle is missing with male and female options.

I wondered if it's an automatic device to remove an egg from the heat once it's boiled.

I know railway carriages can have locks like that, I wondered if it was a pocket key for them.

Correct, the owner of it said that it was for use when working on an old door in which the door knob is connected with a square shaft, if the knob is off of the shaft then the square hole in this tool can be used to turn it. And if the square shaft has been removed from the lock mechanism, the male part can be used to test it.
Rob

Many a time I have had to use a big screwdriver or a spanner in place of one of these depending on whether the spindle is in or out.
David B wrote:

That reminds me of some great fun we had as kids. Allowing one to enter a room and then pulling the door knot attached to the square shaft out from the other side. I can still hear the tears... lol
Posting from my desktop PC, as always.
2665, no clue 2666, might be something for wool carding and sorting? 2667, looks like some kind of roller for flatting things, in a machine? 2668, I'm sure we saw something like this before. But, I can't remember its purpose. 2669, totally no clue. 2670, the square hole might be for turning on and off pressurized gas tanks (oxygen, acetylene, etc.) But what is the square blade?
I need some help with the second and fourth items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2668: Looks like it might be the removeable handle for a grill basket or campfire cooking pot. You do not want the wood part to burn.
On 9/20/12 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

turnbuckle and the need to secure the wire to each end. When you need to make an adjustment, the turnbuckle may be frozen with rust.
Without a turnbuckle, you can make a loop, pulling both ends of the wire around the same nail from opposite directions, then stapling. You tighten by twisting and secure the twist by sticking a stick through it.
This clamp looks good for twisting wire while keeping an eye suitable to put a stick through. Sometimes there's not much room for a lever when you twist wire. This one is pretty short. If you need more torque, there seems to be room for a screwdriver on each side. They could be slid in and out if there isn't room for a complete turn.
The clamp looks big enough for 3 gauge steel wire and perhaps something bigger. That could make a substantial brace!
On 9/20/12 2:20 PM, J Burns wrote:

Uh-oh.... 2668!
Rob H. wrote:

--