What is it? Set 446

Page 2 of 2

I didn't have much time in the past couple of days to research any of the guesses, but now after spending a few minutes looking around the web I think that flaring tool is correct for the last item in this week's set. Similar ones can be seen on these links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Imperial-Brass-Mfg-forged-steel-clean-pipe-flaring-tool-VERY-GOOD-/140777423199#ht_851wt_190
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-craftsman-3-piece-tool-set-w-cutter-flare
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=8&gs_id=6z&xhr=t&q=tube+flaring+tool&aq=0&aqi=g4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw 80&bihg1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid250127265708582736&sa=X&ei=JD_lT7W0K4ji2gXcz-jaCQ&sqi=2&ved IIBEPICMAM
I changed my answer for this item and added the three links above to my site.
Thanks, Rob
Rob H. wrote:

2587 - The flat piece is a rapid clip. Allows the pistol to be stuck in a boot top, tucked in a hidden fold, or stuck in the harness on a horse to secure it. The hooks are part of the ramrod latch.
2588 - Hair tonic bottles?
2589 - Bowling ball rack from an old alley, The local place has one painter dark blue.
2590 -
2591 - Part of a soda fountain?
2592 - Looks like a piece of hardware from old scaffolding. It slides up/down a bar with holes in it. The pointed plunger locks into those holes and locks the cross bar as well. Then the side screw tightens down to secure it all.
--
Steve W.

That's it! This gun was described as a boot pistol, "so called because of the metal flange for securing the weapon on one's boot." I don't have any further description or history on it.

Lots of guesses on this piece of hardware but I haven't been able to prove any of them correct.
Rob H. wrote:

2591--Piece of grounding cable for lightning rods.
--
G.W. Ross

Every hero becomes a bore at last.

Good answer, it is indeed part of an old lightning rod, actually it was part of a salesman's sample which consisted of a small padded box that contained this piece along with the lightning rod tip.
I'm disappointed, I didn't get the flaring tool. I own two sets of the modern kind. That did look like the single flare device, but I didn't make the mental connection.
http://55tools.blogspot.com /

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
2587)    A trap gun. The links at the front allow it to pivot     vertically around the vicinity of the muzzle, and the flat metal     part is used to adjust the angle to prop it up to shoot higher     or lower as it pivots around that front link.
    I also note a hole in the front of the trigger guard in the     second photo which might clear the threaded steel rod sitting     under it -- which could be used to press the trigger via a     tripwire.
2588)    Root beer?
    Patent medicines?
2589)    Looks like it might be a stand for seven rifles -- perhaps at     an Army or National Guard barracks?
2590)    Hmm ... the jaws look similar to a tool which I have used which     serves to nibble through sheet metal -- but the jaws are too     widely spaced on this for that. Perhaps could be used to     nibble glass -- perhaps for making stained glass windows?
    The second set of jaws -- on the handle side of the pivot might     serve for cracking walnuts or the like?
2591)    Very familiar to me -- except for being so short. Those are     sections of lightning rod and couplers.
    These particular ones are either for demonstrating how the     product goes together, or for fixing "oops" in selecting the     length of rod. :-)
2592)    Perhaps serves as a spring loaded center punch for marking a     particular style of workpiece prior to center drilling?
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I agree that the inside jaws were probably meant to be a nut cracker. A few people have suggested that this tool is a can opener, one person specified it was for sardine tins, I think that can opener is correct and will have it as my answer until I find proof otherwise.
Still not sure about the last item but the rest of the answers have been posted:

    Hmm ... about that last item -- 2592. I've got another suggestion sort of related to my first opinion but which I did not write down as being particularly likely -- until I just considered some more features.
    The eye in the bottom piece appears to be beveled from both sides. This suggests to me that a possible function for it would be:
    It slides along the beam of a fairly heavy balance -- with a weight hanging from the eye. The sharp pin could fit into holes along the beam for fairly repeatable precision of locations, which would be multipliers for the weight added by the sliding device and whatever hangs from it.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:05:52 -0400

<snip>
See if this picture/link looks the same or not:
http://www.the-canopener.com/photo/showimg.php?file=/Category%20Line/30_SN/30_SN_06.jpg
Per that image/site, it is suppose to be a can opener, nutcracker like others have speculated from 1877...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

http://www.the-canopener.com/photo/showimg.php?file=/Category%20Line/30_SN/30_SN_06.jpg
Thanks, I'll pass that link on to the owner of the tool.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:59:29 -0400

Thought you might find this particular patent of interest here:
http://www.google.com/patents/US191416
"IMPROVEMENT IN CAN-OPENERS Patent number: 191416 Filing date: Apr 21, 1877 Issue date: May 29, 1877"
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

http://www.the-canopener.com/photo/showimg.php?file=/Category%20Line/30_SN/30_SN_06.jpg
    While it is at "www.the-canopener.com", the text identifying it (above the photo, not in the photo) says "Shearer or Snip", which is closer to what I was suggesting for the end jaws. Certainly the upper of the two looks pretty close to what you had up there. The lower one does not have the projections for the auto-opening spring.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail