What is it? Set 439

Page 2 of 3

Too big to put in a hip pouch.
Lloyd

<chuckles...>
I noticed this AM one has apparently been feeding from dog bowl looking at droppings...had to come 'round the house from the other direction; this spaniel generally tries to chase anything w/ wings at least halfheartedly.
We keep water out for them and the couple of covey of quail that reside in the cedars/windbreak.
Last year was so dry had to turn waterers on in the feedlot to keep the deer from completely debarking everything in the yard searching for anything at all...we're not that bad off this year at least yet.
Made a pass around this AM; much of the wheat is, indeed, gone, though, as far as making a grain crop. Boot but no grain and brown... :( Not much revenue there; will start swathing to salvage at least something Monday. Some of the sandier ground is still hanging on but unless get some relief _real_soon_now_ which doesn't look likely it's in trouble, too.
On 5/5/2012 11:15 PM, Mike Marlow wrote: ...

They're better left to hold down jackrabbit populations...

On 5/5/2012 11:22 PM, dpb wrote:

And I'll add you need to have been around in the 30s (before me) or the 50s (was) to remember the hordes that literally stripped fields bare after the coyotes and other predators (hawks and golden eagles as well, but primarily coyotes) had been nearly eliminated to fully appreciate there's a need for them in the system, too.

    Part of the problem is that the newsgroup is not a single site. It is a large number of news servers around the world, and particular postings from nearer servers will show up before those from more distant servers -- varying in particular in the matter of which server passes the articles to which. I used to run my own news server, and got quite accustomed to dealing with such variations. The news articles are displayed based on the article number assigned by *your* server, sequentially as the articles arrive and are processed. They then get sent on to other servers, which either accept them, or reject them because they already have a copy from another server. (They are identified as unique based on the contents of the "Message-ID: " header, which is usually allocated by the news server to which you posted it.
    Anyway -- an article posted to your news server will show up "first" on it, even though others will show up first on servers closer to the point of origin.
    You can see the path which the article took in the header "Path: " with the most recent server to handle it at the left-hand end of the line (which may well fold several times). Here is an example from the 1st of January of this year:
=====================================================================Path: news4.newsguy.com!extra.newsguy.com!npeersf02.iad.highwinds-media.com!npeer02.iad.high winds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!spln!extra.newsguy.com! newsp.newsguy.com!news6 =====================================================================     Server names are separated by '!' characters, and often the last entry will be something like "not-for-mail" because similar paths (called "bang paths" for the '!' character used as a delimiter) were once used for mail, but would end with a user name and not a system name.
    So -- it is not that anyone is trying to give you a hard time. Rob is basing it on the order in which articles arrive at the news server which he uses. (BTW -- I understand that Google's news server (which they like to call "google groups" has a very long delay between posting and displaying an article on their server -- so it is possible that someone posting there will see one or more followups (replies) to what they posted before they see what they posted. (And sometimes they post several times because they don't see what they posted in a reasonable period. But -- what they posted does go out quickly to the rest of the world. :-)
    I typically wind up not getting to reading usenet newsgroups until the evening, so I don't expect to be the first very often. It has to be something really uncommon. :-)
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
2545 Hmmm... Lemme imagine... Somebody has some valuables locked up somewhere. A robber shows up and threatens him. He produces the key. He also produces a burning match. Carefully holding the key upright, he subtly points the end of the key at the robber and applies the match to the touch-hole. It goes boom. Makes sense.
On 5/3/2012 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

On 5/3/2012 6:04 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

into the treasure room and be in the process of stealing it. Insert key into lock. Before turning it, apply match to touch-hole to discomfort the thief. Or... Unlock room, prime touch-hole, apply match.

2545, a "bit key" that might not have a lock to go with it. 2546, this is an electrolysis device. My science teacher had one, when I was in school, back in the good old days. The two tubes at the bottom, the teacher put in rubber stopper, with a wire that goes into the tube. Then, the glassware is filled with water, and some electrolyte. I can't remember off hand, but think that would be a pinch of table salt. Might have been sodium sulphate, instead. By applying direct current, the water would break in to hydrogen and oxygen. The gasses could be drawn off, by opening the valves at the top of the thin tubes. 2547, looks a bit like a US quarter that's been in a stamping press. 2548, totally no clue. 2549, native American arrow head. 2550, seriously no clue.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 5/3/2012 3:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3547 Concho made from a quarter.

2546 is a laboratory electrolysis demonstrator / oxygen-hydrogen generator.
The bottoms of the open tubes are plugged with stoppers holding electrodes that extend up into the tubes.
The petcocks are open, and an electrolyte (often dilute sulfuric acid) is filled into the gas columns through the reservoir/funnel.
When a column fills completely, the petcock is closed. When both are filled an DC supply is hooked up to the electrodes. The reservoir is kept full by the operator.
As gas accumulates in the columns, it's extracted via rubber tubes stuck over the petcock spouts. When the petcock is opened, gas escapes, and is replaced by fresh electrolyte from the reservoir.
Lloyd

2547- if it weren't for the lines across it I would have guessed it's a quarter shrunk by putting it into a high-current coil.

The vase-shaped bubbles make me think that it's a form of "explosive art", where the coin was laid face-down on hardened rails, and a thin sheet of high explosive was laid over it and detonated.
Of course, I'm in that general trade, and when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail!
I guess this could also be what the Mint does to defective coins to render them unusable.
LLoyd

Good guess, that's the right answer.

I think that's _actually_ a "church key"; maybe for those big iron doors on some cathedrals, or maybe for the cash box within.
LLoyd
2545 - Jailers key gun - https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIE_enUS397US398&q=key+gun
2547 - corrugated quarter - used for whatisit quizzes
2549 - Can't tell what it's made of: glass?
2550 - Guessing: Vintage "speculum" type tool. Seems to be made of brass for 1) use in a wet environment or 2) prevent a spark ....

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIE_enUS397US398&q=key+gun
It is indeed made of glass.

2545 - Jailers Key gun. A very similar one was on "Pawn Stars" not to long ago.
I believe that 2549 is a "torpedo"/round bottom/"ballast" mineral water bottle. They were designed to stay on their sides so that the cork stopper/seal wouldn't dry out and allow the bottle to leak. I found a reference at <<http://www.sha.org/bottle/soda.htm , about 2/3 of the way down or so.
I was just going to say that 2545 was an intricate bit key for a warded lock -- I'd never heard of gun keys before, but it sure could be one with the firing mechanism missing.
Northe

Nope, that's not it.

I don't think that it's missing, it probably never had one to begin with, didn't see any way for a mechanism to be attached or for it to ignite the powder. I would bet they fired it by touching a cigar to the small hole.
Rob H. wrote:

2550 Primitive cervical dilator.
--
G.W. Ross