What is it? Set 393

Page 1 of 2

http://55tools.blogspot.com /

I accidentally sent my previous post before I wanted to, I need some help this week with number 2273 which someone sent in after finding it in their grandfather's shed.
Rob
2270 Looks like a random access disc drive [RAMAC] being loaded on an airplane.
2272 Looks like an old Geiger [Muller] radiation counter/indicator. http://www.quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/korean_gear/cd.html
2273 Guess... Airport runway or taxiway marker lantern.
On 6/16/2011 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

http://www.quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/korean_gear/cd.html
The first two are correct, not sure about the third.
Rob H. wrote:

3 looks like a high tech version of the old road side smudge pot lamps.
Might acutallu be airport equipment.
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

2269 I think is a 1960s or 70s era police radar gun. 2270 Magnetic drum computer (c. 1960) 2272 Geiger counter? 2273 looks like it could be used as a fumigator -- bottom part appears to have a fuel reservoir and a wick.
On 6/16/11 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2270- 305 RAMAC.

2273 is a roadwork's marker lamp

    Where do they live? A place which has orchards? If so, that increases the chance that it was a smudge pot as I just suggested in what I posted.
    I've never seen one, but this looks like something which would do the job.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I sent an email to the owner of this device asking where they live and what the grandfather did for a living, but haven't heard back yet.
The answers for the rest of them have been posted and can be seen here:
Rob

2271 looks like a simplified version of this: http://direct.asda.com/Pyramid-Log-Burner/001662577,default,pd.html
2272 looks like a geiger counter
2270 is an IBM computer (you can see the logo on top); the first hard disk drive computer, in fact. It's a 305 RAMAC HDD http://thegreatgeekmanual.com/blog/this-day-in-geek-history-october-29-2009
2269 is a portable signal light, similar to this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MILITARY-R-A-A-F-SIGNAL-LAMP-CASE-1942-/320686515136?clk_rvr_id=241142990415
--riverman
humunculus wrote:

2274: A sewing tool? If I'm close, I'll explain how I think it might be used. : )
Bill

2269. Aldis lamp. Here are some but they don't quite match that one. http://www.morsemad.com/lamps.htm Karl
says...

2269 looks like a hand-held signal light for sending morse code between ships. If there's no visible emission it would have the infrared filter in place.
2270 might be a cesium-beam atomic clock, probably being loaded as part of the Hafele-Keating experiment.

2269- aircraft control tower light gun to signal planes with no electrical system or that are NORDO (NO RaDiO due to failure)
http://www.astronics.com/products/airfield-lighting/tower-equipment.asp
Dave
2273 -- alternate form of a Davy safety lamp -- possibly for mills to prevent dust explosions rather than for use in mines -- The screen acts as a flame arrester; air (and any firedamp/ dust present) can pass through the mesh freely enough to support combustion, but the holes are too fine to allow a flame to propagate through them and ignite any firedamp outside the mesh
Northe
2274 looks like it might be a form of spider coupling used to transmit torque from one shaft to another shaft which may be neither collinear or parallel. (Sort of like a universal joint but not as rigid.)

Nope. It's not a piece of machinery, it would have been used in the home.

A fence-wire tensioning device.
-Zz

    Hmm ... some form of bobbin for a weaving machine or a sewing machine perhaps?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail