What is it? Set 378

Page 1 of 2
I need some help figuring out two of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/03/set-378.html
Rob
2179 2180 2181 - Aerator or plant starter? 2182 2183 - sample holder 2184 - Aviation flight path gauge
On 03/03/2011 05:59 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Nah.... it's a fly case for a fly fisherman.
2181 looks a lot like a primitive fiber comb, like for teasing out flax or raffia, but the handles suggest it was thrust down onto the object, rather than the object being thrown against it.
It might be a tool for moving/sliding something big and fluffy that has nowhere to grip, like a bale of some fiber goods.
LLoyd
Guesses
2179 - Drain pipe cleanout tool and/or root cutter?
2180 - Early model of a physician's reflex hammer (rubber tire missing)?
Sonny

Not exactly correct but you're not far off.

If you click the link under the photo you will see close-ups of the end which show it to be a small container with a retractable lid.
Rob

Correct, it's for storing flies.
2182: A manual can-opener. Heavy duty.
Bill

I don't know if it's specifically for aviation, but you have the right idea in that it's for measuring distance on a map. Someone sent the photo to me from Europe, haven't been able to find another one like it on the web.
Rob

2183 -- Dry-fly tin, for fishing flies. (Wet-fly tins are thinner). This one looks like it's from the early '50s. I have one just like it and still use it.
--
Ed Huntress

2179
2180
2181 Lawn aerator
2182 lineman pliers
2183 Fly Box
2184 navigation measuring tool
Robert

2182 Used by customs authorities when they lock down goods?
--
Uffe Brentsen

2181: Dibble board http://beekman1802.com/general/a-homemade-dibble.html

This answer is correct.
Still uncertain about the two unidentified tools, some of the suggestions for them sound good but I haven't been able to find proof for them. The answers for the rest of them can be seen here:
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

2179 -
2180 -
2181 - Looks like a seed bed prep tool. Press it into the soft soil and you have nice even rows to drop a seed in. Makes transplanting MUCH easier. I use something similar in my greenhouse.
2182 -
2183 - Fly box for fisherman
2184 - Looks like a map scale.
--
Steve W.

"Rob H." wrote in message
I need some help figuring out two of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/03/set-378.html
Rob
2180 is a watchmakers blueing pan.
2183 is a box for holding fishing flies.
Steve R.

Sounds like a good use for it, my only reservation is that it might be a little small for that but I still like this idea.

Is that felt (or some other fabric) on the back of the brass disk? That would probably prevent it from being used at any high temperature. Additionally, I think bluing solutions would eat up the brass. There doesn't appear to be any staining to indicate it was used for this. One thin I notice is that all of the screws are plain slotted style, not Phillips.

I just heard back from the owner of it and they said that "the dark surface is just aged brass patina".

I'm not convinced that it's a bluing pan, though I think that someone made it for heating something. It's probably a one off, and if that's the case then it's almost impossible to guess the exact purpose that the person had in mind.
Rob
"Rob H." wrote in message

I just heard back from the owner of it and they said that "the dark surface is just aged brass patina".

I'm not convinced that it's a bluing pan, though I think that someone made it for heating something. It's probably a one off, and if that's the case then it's almost impossible to guess the exact purpose that the person had in mind.
Rob
You don't use blueing solutions in a blueing pan. You fill the cavity with brass filings, and heat blue the part over an alcohol lamp. The brass filings make even contact with the steel part (like a watch hand) being blued. Am I the only one here that has done it?
Steve R.

    For watchmakers' workpieces -- things like hands (hour, minute, second hands), which is what is normally blued -- and perhaps screws.

    Should not be. More likely the color from repeated heating.

    Bluing of watch and clock hands is not chemical-based. The metal is polished (probably spring steel), then heated *evenly* to get just the right thickness of oxidizing (sort of like when tempering hardened spring or tool steel, and judging the hardness by the color.

    Normal for a watchmaker. I don't think that I have ever seen a timepiece with Phillips screws. (Nor Allen, nor hex head FTM.)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail