What is it? Set 342

Page 2 of 2

Good answer! The title of the patent for it is 'Screw thread gaging device.'
Rob

1966
Could it possibly be used by the water company for locating leaks? I've seen them lifting a cover in the road and putting a rod down and placing an ear to the other end. The plastic section could be to avoid any chance of electrocution.

That's an interesting suggestion, I'll ask the person who sent the photo to see what they can find out about where this thing came from and who used to own it.
Rob

Looking at the picture, it is one of the metal rods that doesn't have a thread. If I'm right about the electrocution bit, I guess you'd want the plastic section above ground and below the bit you are holding.

I just got some further information on it, the person who sent the photo said "...but I have been told that the rods are definitely solid & so is the bell shaped end."

    Interesting. That makes it much more of a puzzle.
    Perhaps one of the weird "medical" devices from the early 1900s?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
"Rob H." <

1966...... Solid rods? Then perhaps it is a mechanics stethoscope? phil

1966: A barbed wire tensioning device.
-Zz