What is it? Set 286

Another fast week, it's Thursday already! The current set can be seen here:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
writes

1630 is for storing microscope slides?
Nick
--
Nick Wedd snipped-for-privacy@maproom.co.uk

I was going to say 1630 was a box (the bottom part of a box) for 3 1/4 inch glass lantern slides. Without a better measurement of the size, I guess Mr. Wedd is probably correct. Do the slots fit 3" microscope slides or 3.25" lantern slides?

Everyone who said it was for microscope slides is correct, the slots hold a 3" slide.
Rob
1629 A guess... to crimp tops on tin cans???

1632 an old Sun car timing light missing the cables - it has as I remember cables going to the battery and one that clamps around the number 1 plug wire..
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Like eBay item 330333411823
--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

"RicodJour" wrote
That saw turnbuckle was one of those {smack the forehead} "I shoulda known that!" items. ================================== Those kind of items show up here all the time.
Along with the proverbial, " I have seen that before. But I just can't place it just now."

1630 - tray for holding microscope slides 1631 - battery-powered pot scrubber
1627. For hoisting hay bales. 1628. Limited range of adjustment, turned by hand, loops slip over the ends of whatever, so it's for repeated cinching with fairly uniform pieces. The loops look like they'd fit a 2x4. No idea of the specific application. 1629. Capping bottles, probably milk. 1630. Memories of HS - slide tray. 1631. Spot cleaner. The wire brushes are unusual, so it must be the "universal model". 1632, Not sure, WAG, battery operated electromagnet made by Wen.

1628- bow saw tensioner
1632- older style ignition timing light- usually uses a neon bulb and no +12V hookup, just the plug wire.
Dave

1627: I would have to say a harpoon.
1628: A blade tightner/tensioner for a buck saw.
1630: A portable carpet cleaner for small spots.

Oops that should be 1631 not 1630

Ornamental?
"Honey what's that on the mantelpiece?" "That's our new ORNAMENTAL scrubber! Isn't she a beauty?" "Put it in the garage, now, or that's where you'll be sleeping." "Yes, dear."
"RicodJour" wrote: "Honey what's that on the mantelpiece?" "That's our new ORNAMENTAL scrubber! Isn't she a beauty?" "Put it in the garage, now, or that's where you'll be sleeping." "Yes, dear." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Honey, what's this thing standing on the mantelpiece?" "Oh, that's a phallic symbol." "Well. I'd hate to tell you what I thought it looked like."

Tell me about the fast week...I moved over the weekend, so it's felt like a whole lot longer than that.
1627 -- Perhaps this is a tool used to extract or adjust lumber in a pile to dry (with sticks between the boards); slide it in, close the handle, and the point can be used to manipulate a board. Of course, there's also a stuffed cat, a butter churn, a wicker basket, a can of something, what appears to be a set of weights for a balance....
1628 - A large turnbuckle, but not one of enormous strength (for its size), in that a cable or rope about the diameter of the loops at the ends would be much stronger than the turnbuckle. Perhaps it is intended to stretch and bind tarps over loads on wagons or trucks?
1629 - Forming tool for pump leathers?
1630 - Box for holding twenty-five of something--I'd guess microscope slides.
1631 - Possibly this is intended for cleaning and scraping car bodies in body work. (Just an off-the-wall guess, really; it doesn't look sturdy enough for professional body shop use.)
1632 - No clue whatsoever. It looks vaguely like a manifold or junction box for conduit or piping or some such, but why on earth would one ever have reason to carry one of those around on a lanyard?
--
Andrew Erickson

1627 - Looks like one of a variety of "hay harpoons" used to pull loose hay from a wagon to the haymow. 1628 - I agree with the bow-saw tightener. 1632 - Yep, an old timing light. Nahmie

1627)    Looks like a harpoon for picking up something like a bale of     hay. The eye on the back end is certainly for hooking to     lifting gear.
1628)    An early (and fairly ornate) example of a turnbuckle for     adjusting the tension in something like a guy wire.
1629)    Interesting -- at first look it seemed that the three angled     legs were on Acme threads, but a closer look at the saved     images shows that those are springs, not threads.
    It is obvious that the center projection and the three "feet"     all rotate, with the center part pressing against either the top     or the bottom flange of the three feet, based on the wear     polish.
    Perhaps it is intended to make a ridge (either internal or     external) at the end of metal tubing?
1630)    Looks very much like a storage box for microscope slides, and     given the numbering -- probably slides with mounted specimens.
    It is missing the cover, which would keep dust from the slides.
1631)    Obviously designed to clean and polish something. The cylinder     probably contains a cleaning solution.
    I did see one followup which showed up before your actual     posting of the puzzle (for whatever reason), and it guessed this     as being a rug/carpet cleaner -- but I doubt that with the wire     brush.
    Perhaps for cleaning and polishing something like stainless     steel sinks?
1632)    At a guess, for applying a high pressure spray -- thus the     double handle to fight the recoil from that spray.
    Otherwise, I would have suggested some sort of probe for     applying high voltage to test insulation -- given the Bakelite     housing.
    Now to see what the rest of the suggestions are -- those which appeared properly *after* the posting of the puzzle itself. (I *don't* like to read a guess before seeing and answering the puzzles.)
    Enjoy,         DoN.