What is it? Set 267

This week's set of photographs has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

1516. Indian Push Dagger. http://www.trocadero.com/stores/101antiques/items/491190/item491190.html Karl
1513 Looks like an ammunition limber. Used to carry ammunition behind a gun carriage on the move.

1518 Lead for a bull. It latches onto a nose ring, letting you lead the animal around by the nose.

That's what it looks like to me. If you have a relatively calm or "tame" bull, some people use a rope with a snap, . . . .
BUT . . you use this pole with a cantankerous bull. You can lead him around, and if he takes a notion to charge you, the pole still gives you control, as it will push his head down or off to the side.

That's what it looks like to me. If you have a relatively calm or "tame" bull, some people use a rope with a snap, . . . .
BUT . . you use this pole with a cantankerous bull. You can lead him around, and if he takes a notion to charge you, the pole still gives you control, as it will push his head down or off to the side.
-separator- And this one even has little spikes to push against his nose to discourage him coming after you. Kerry
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:49:21 GMT, "Bill Marrs"

This sure looks right, an awful lot like patent 1,226,201. See:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid 26201
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Good job on finding the patent!! I knew what it was---have one on the farm. Knew it was called a "Bull Staff". But repeated googling only got me a bunch of stuff about Pit Bulls.
Bill

My guesses:
1513 - Obviously a cart of some sort. I'll guess it's half of a set used to transport telephone or telegraph poles around the turn of the (previous) century. The poles themselves formed the body of the vehicle, and animals the motive power. Similar (in the sense of bodyless) trailers/dollies are still sometimes used for telephone poles around here.
1514 - Knife sharpener, the knife blade being drawn lengthwise betwixt the two interlocking ceramic wheels.
1515 - Possibly used to tie off a load; the lowest bit in the photo could be stuck in an oblong hole in a corresponding mounting, and then the toggle turned a quarter turn, and a rope tied to the tee handle portion.
1516 - Folding heavy-duty letter opener, probably not legal to take aboard an airplane these days.
1517 - Barrel sling for hoisting barrels (missing a rope or cable that goes through the clips at the ends of the bows and is held in position by their toggle action)
1518 - Pull handle for some sort of hand truck or cart, perhaps? The teeth that resemble the comb on a chicken's head may engage some steering mechanism on the truck, possibly connected to the back set of wheels.
Now to read other guesses....
--
Andrew Erickson

Andrew Erickson wrote: <snip>

FWIW, it's a katar--there's even a wikipedia entry for them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katar. I've seen one like it somewhere but can't for the life of me recall where.
<snip>
--John

1513 has the doubletree and fotboards - if there was a place for the driver to sit, it was on the equipment being towed. I don't think it was an ammunition limber, for those had a chest for the ammunition and the driver(s) sat on the to p of the chest.
1514 I could only guess insulator, but probbly not - the ceramics are too close.
1515 A tool for removing the top of a home-heating oil tank. The "keyed" affair at the bottom was inserted into a matching depression on a flat (flush-fitted) lid and the "Tee" part was the handle. to unscrew the male-threaded plug.
1516 and 1517 will remain until you post answers
1518 Looks kind of like an extension to put on the grate of a coal-fired furnace, to shalke the grate without getting too close to the fire. You probably pull the ring in the handle to open the laych in the eye.
Flash

1513 might be a gatling gun limber?????

Here's a little gift for ya, Rob. Go through the pics on this website....I think several of these have come across this site over the years...
http://www.wrenchingnews.com/nail-auction-2007/catalog.html
--riverman

Wow, that's a lot of wrenches! I'll look through them over the next few days.
Thanks, Rob

    I've got some of the weird ones in there (e.g. #31 in the third photo in the "pictures of all" grouping.
    And there are others which I have and which I did not see in there.
    Enjoy,         DoN.