What is it? Set 230

I've got plans all day tomorrow so I'll be posting the answers early in the morning.
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
No Roman numerals---just about overlooked this one!
1289 Battery cell tester
1294 Rangefinder????
BillM said:

Presumably the OP realised that the Roman numeral equivalent would go down like a lead balloon with typical news server spam filters.
ObPuzzleMetalworkWoodwork: devise a machine in wood and metal that, given N, can calculate the proportion of numbers in the range 1 to N whose Roman numeral representations would tickle a typical news server's filters. Make sure your solution is well-oiled, sanded down, and easily representable in ASCII art.
--
Richard Heathfield <http://www.cpax.org.uk
Email: -http://www. +rjh@

You guessed item 1292!
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere

Correct
It isn't a rangefinder, the device is used for recreation and doesn't really have a useful purpose, although I guess you could do some types of experiments with it.
Rob

Is it a projector for one of those toy circular stereo viewers?
scott

1289- high current ammeter. The meter is a voltmeter/millivoltmeter, and measures the voltage drop across the short section of metal bar.
-or-
A force guage- the metal prongs go into 2 pieces that get pulled apart or pushed together, the meter is a mechanical movement that amplifies the tiny amount of strech or compression in the bar.
I think a hammer like the one shown has been on here before, but I'm not going to 'cheat' and go look it up...
Dave
Dave

1289: Fuse tester 1290: Barrel clamp 1291: Fencing hammer 1292: Belt driven sander 1293: Stihl 1294: Around the corner spy camera Puff
1289. amp meter. 1290. tourniquet. 1291. ? 1292. ? 1293. ? 1294. mechanical range finder.
R.H. wrote:

"R.H." wrote:

1289. Finally something I have actually seen! Used in olden days to put a high current load on a 2 volt cell in a car battery and measure the voltage under load conditions.
I'm glad to see you have given up on the Roman numbers, ... again. I hope it lasts this time.

    Still having problems with the images showing up on opera depending on the size. I wonder what blogspot changed in the wrappers of the web page to bring up this sensitivity?
1289)    A charge meter for a single cell in an old style automotive     battery. The points stick through the tar covering the bars     connecting one cell to its neighbor, a *lot* of current flows     through the square bar (I suspect nickel plated copper), and     either the resulting magnetic field deflects a needle connected     to a permanent magnet, or there is a real meter movement in     there which is measuring the voltage between the two pins or     screws which secure the meter movement to the bar.
1290)    A device to bind a group of rods or sticks together in the loop     of rope coming out of holes in the cast iron part.
1291)    An interesting hammer -- but no clue why the deep slots at     right angles in one face.
    It looks as though it is held in contact with something while     another hammer strikes the un-slotted face.
1292)    AT a guess -- a tool for moving leather belts and holding them     while they are decoratively tooled.
    Or maybe for holding machine driving leather belts while they     are being joined.
1293)    It looks like an incomplete still -- probably for purifying     water in small quantities.
1294)    A stereoscopic viewer, or an optical rangefinder.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Let's see...
1289 - I'd really like to see the opposite side of the round box in the middle, but maybe that would give too much away. At first glance, this appears to be a spanner or gear puller, but the overall design doesn't seem quite right for that in the general cases: if a spanner, the handles aren't spaced to provide too much leverage, especially given how strongly the rest of the unit appears to be constructed; and if a puller, it seems to be missing the rather essential pulling apparatus.
Maybe this is some office tool used to bind papers into impromptu books, rather like a ring binder but using some other technology.
1290 - Clamping device for round stuff; maybe to bind shocks of grain or broom heads together, or maybe a tourniquet for extreme first aid of man or beast. Rotating the axle winds or unwinds the rope, which seems to pass through the middle of the crescent-shaped part. Constructing one would be an interesting project in drilling and shaping wood.
1291 - A hammer of some sort. Assuming the head alone is 4.5" long (and not the handle), it's for...ummm...maybe fencing? If the entire thing is petite, it may be a punch for patterning wood carvings.
1292 - Stropping machine for straight razors or other keen knives, missing a leather belt?
1293 - Some specialized distillation apparatus; it appears the condensate is intended to be collected in the upper glass jar with a spout, and overflow into the lower jar. Perhaps this was for determining the potency of alcoholic beverages for taxation purposes.
1294 - Optical rangefinder or angle finder--probably angle finder, as a rangefinder should have two relatively widely separated lenses that are optically superimposed, rather than a single centralized one.
Rather a tricky set this time for me.
--
Andrew Erickson