What is it? Set 134

Page 2 of 2

Number 780 is an audio tape splicer for 1/4" tape. The "CUT" position makes a diagonal cut on the tape, and after the cut ends are spliced together with splicing tape, the "TRIM" position cuts the edges of the tape with a slight inward taper from both edges so that the splice will slide easily through the player when it's played. -- Pooder approved this post . . . .

780. Magnetic recording tape splicer (tape was used in a reel-to-reel recorder) 781. Pooper-picker-upper. A manure shovel. The manure stays in the shovel, the bedding falls through the gaps in the wires. 782. Toenail clipper. Have you seen my toenails? Nuf said. 783. Camera or binocular adapter, so it can be held on a tripod. 784. Early mechanical calculator. 785. Either an ice or hey bale grapple.
#780 is some sort of splicing machine #783 looks like a tripod mount for a large telephoto lense. I'd guess a 500-800 mm lense. #785 looks like a log skid or some sort of grappel hook. When you pull up on the lifting ring with a crane or hoist, it clamps down. Or at least that's what it looks like
WW88
785: Godzilla's staple remover
--julie
R.H. wrote:

784. This is obviously a ball/strike counter, or "clicker", for umpires in cricket games. They get 100 balls and 10 strikes - that's why the games take so long.
John Martin
R.H. wrote:

My guesses: #781 looks like the thing my Grandad used to move hot coals around in his forge. #782 I have no idea #783 looks a lot like the thing I have to hold my Dremel Mototool stationary. #784 No Idea #785 Looks like the big ice tongs we used to move ice around in the Cold Storage plant I worked at during my College years.
Dennis

It does work in a similar manner, maybe the same person got a couple of patents on the same day for two different hooks or he got this patent and then modified the tool and kept the same date. I'm guessing that the one on my site isn't spring loaded, but I'll ask the owner of it, though he's out of town for a couple of days so it will be a while until I get an answer. Thanks for finding that.
Rob

and
one on

out
answer.
You could be right about the spring, there has to be a reason for those notches to be there.

I'll ask the owner of it how much it weighs. FWIW I changed the post on the answer page, I agree that it's most likely for wells, considering its size and the fact that no one has found a patent with the same date for a log grabber.
Rob

on
It's clearly missing its spring which would locate in the notches either side of the top of the arms. -- Dave Baker www.pumaracing.co.uk "Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.
Rob H.:

Really! It doesn't look nearly strong enough to be used for that sort of work. I'd expect those wiry bars to start bending apart the first time it was thrust into a pile of coal.
--
Mark Brader "We can get ideas even from a clever man." ...
Toronto "Yes, I think you can. Even ideas you should

I agree that it isn't strong enough to shovel coal into a fire, I was thinking that it was for removing clinkers, retreiving hot coals to be placed in a foot warmer, or whatever other reason they would have to move hot coal. The wiry bars being used to sift the ashes. One of my tool books has three similar shovels, for coke, potatoes, and ice, but they're all reinforced in the front and have a hand grip on the end of the handle. Since it was marked as being a coal shovel, I'm going to go with that for now; I've looked but haven't been able to find one on the web like it.
Rob
R.H. and I (Mark Brader) write:

That's still thrusting it into a pile of coal, though.

Fair enough. It's not like I've ever actually dealt with a coal fire.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Truth speak from any chair."
snipped-for-privacy@vex.net -- Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum

SNIP

Hey Rob,
Maybe not on the web, but I have one like it in my back-yard as a decorative item.. Bought it for 2 bucks at an auction, so I've no idea either.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
Brian Lawson wrote:

Ontario, huh....ever do any ice fishing? What did/would you use to clear the ice from the hole?
--

Ted
Don't forget to take out the trash

Then you need part 'B' of the same patent. A grappling device which is used to snag and unlock part 'A' grappling hooks.

    That might be a use for the notches which I commented on. One rope to pull up the weight, and then another to pull up on both notches to open the jaws so you can pull it up.
    Enjoy,         DoN.