What happened to lumber imports?

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 1 of 2
1
2 > last»

I used to be able to get all kinds of wonderful Argentinian hardwoods at
a local supplier at very reasonable prices.  Now he doesn't have _any_.
  Woodworkerssource.com used to have a tremendous selection, now they
don't even have samples of most of the species they list.  I'm having to
look long and hard and am finding onesey-twosey turning squares and not
great stacks of rough-sawn lumber like I was used to.

Anybody know what has happened?  Did some new regulations go into
effect?  Has the US somehow managed to piss off the international lumber
market?

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

It may depend on where you live. Near us is Exotic Lumber. They have
outlets in Gaithersburg, MD and Annapolis, MD., And offer a wide range
of wood - both imported and domestic. I'm sure there are other sources
out there.

Joel

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

They've got a bit but none of the big rain forest osage orange boards
and lapacho and quina and so on that I was used to.

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:41:29 -0400, "J. Clarke"

The rainforest has been harvested - and many countries are putting
cutting restrictions in place.

Those that aren't should be.

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

Hear hear!

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

Rain forest Osage orange?  The only Osage orange (aka "hedge apple") I have
ever seen growing naturally was in NE Texas, SW Oklahoma and a smidge in
eastern Kansas.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

Not uncommon in the Osage Mountains of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas
either (hooda
thunk?).  We had some growing near our rural home a few miles east of the
Missouri River
bottoms between Jefferson City and Columbia, which is pretty far north of where
it's
normally found.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Apparently in South America it grows to be a big tree.  They used to
have 8/4 12 feet long.

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

The stuff from S.A. is a different species, but the same genus.  It's
called Argentine Osage Orange,  Yes it is larger and the claim is made
that the color doesn't go away like it does in the native stuff.  I don't
know if that's true or not.  See:

<http://www.amazonexotichardwoods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TB-AOO>

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

<<...snipped...>>
Not too common but I have seen them growing at a few places in central Md,
too. Some sources I have read say they are native to SE USA but I don't
know if that includes Md. or these were intentionally planted here. BTW,
their commonly called "poke apple" around here.

     with the average voter.                 (Winston Churchill)

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

When I lived in Missouri back in the seventies we called 'em "hedge apples".
Not sure why...

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

They're quite widespread in eastern KS (or at least were unless they've
been systematically removed...

There "hedge apples" owing to they were often planted along field
borders and developed into dense growth, hence hedges.  The apple
portion should be self-evident...

--

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

The trees if allowed to grow that way - we had an 'orchard' next door to us -
have thorns.  Often in the wild and underbrush areas it makes a low tree/bush.
With the thorns, not much wants to go through.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

In rural western NJ, the farmers of old planted them in rows to make a
natural fence.  Some old farms had a row of them where the property
met the road.  Around the bases there's always so much scrub brush and
sticks growing, that if they are planted close together it make an
effective barrier like a fence or hedge.

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

We had them along the farm borders in central Illinois, too.  I was
told they were put there for erosion control after the dust-bowl of
the '30s.

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

Decades ago, I knew a guy in Glen Burnie who had 2000 BF of Osage
orange to sell. Where he got it, I don't know. I ran a couple of
sample planks through my thickness planer and completely buggered my
blades. It was like running limestone through. I was told that Osage
orange was used for cleats on a boat.

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

I got an 18" length - 4" - from my dad - limb...

I turned it on my metal lathe - and now for over 10 years it is
coming to dry and is ready for the next step.  Now just what.

Beautiful yellow gold colors.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

Also grew in Kentucky.

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

Pretty common in NE Oklahoma where I grew up.

Re: What happened to lumber imports?

Bois d'Arc ... or horse apples.

--
www.e-woodshop.net