What do woodworkers like?

Page 1 of 2

Hello all,
I'm in the process of creating a website whose purpose is to help people do nice things for each other.
Many times, you want to do something for someone, but all you know about them is that they are interested in a particular hobby or activity that you don't know much about.
I'm collecting information about as many different hobbies as I can. So...two questions.
1. What do woodworkers like/need/want? I'm looking for a list of things that someone else could pick out for you that you would really enjoy receiving. This can include items, gift certificates to particular stores, magazine subscriptions, books, favors, etc. Anything that you would find useful and/or desirable in your capacity as a woodworkers. These don't have to be "bought" items. If you really need lots of empty egg cartons, put it on the list!
2. If I was married to a woodworker, and wanted to better understand what they are talking about over the dinner table without actually becoming a woodworker myself, what books or websites should I look at?
Any information would be appreciated by myself and likely by the families and friends of many woodworkers! :)
If you want to see what the results look like, click on either of the two sample links on this page: http://www.spousalsponsorship.org/pages/index.html
On 5 Jul 2006 12:30:20 -0700, "NiceToWoodworkers"

Wood, and more wood!

Phisherman wrote:

Okay! Do I just hand you chunks of random lumber, or are there particular wood buying places that I should get you a gift certificate to so you can pick out which wood you want?
Do we like stores like the Home Depot lumberyard, or do real woodworkers turn up their sawdust-covered noses at such places?
"NiceToWoodworkers" wrote in message

Unless the spouse is a woodworker, or has the advice of one, a gift certificate is the most prudent course to take, whether it be for tools or materials.

Wood, at least they type that fits in with your subject line, can only be obtained commercially from a "hardwood lumber" dealer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

I agree. Are there any particular dealers that you recommend? Or does one look locally for "hardwoord dealers"?
Swingman wrote:

I agree. Are there any particular dealers that you recommend? Or does one look locally for "hardwood dealers"?
"NiceToWoodworkers" wrote in message

There are many hardwood dealers on-line for those without local access, but local is generally cheaper and better because you get to choose your stock, which can be a highly subjective process, and you don't have the shipping charges.
Think Yellow Pages.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06
Swingman wrote:

This is great, guys. I really appreciate it. I also just read the thread about setting up a small shop to get started, and there is some excellent stuff in there. Keep it coming. I want to do a good job on these pages. As the utterly non-mechanical wife of a tractor puller, I know how it is to be adrift when it comes to your spouse's hobbies. :)
This place seems to have a good selection of products and they offer gift cards. A test inquiry to Customer Service received an immediate response. Would this be a good place to point people who aren't local to their woodworker, but want to send them a gift card?
Internet Lumber http://www.internetlumber.com
NiceToWoodworkers wrote:

often over $100. A woodworking building a piece of furniture is likely going to want to ge all the wood for a particular project from the same source. Some even want from the same tree! The value of a gift card will not go very far at a place like this.
FYI - Here are two other places that I can drive to but the have online sales IIRC. http://www.hearnehardwoods.com / http://www.groffslumber.com /
Also - I have seen wood on e-bay and advertise on the swap and sell board on http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

As others have said, typically wood would be purchased from a dealer who specializes in such.
However, I don't think anyone would turn up our noses at a HD Gift Card, they sell a lot of things besides wood. :)
You could never go wrong giving a woodworker a gift certificate for Lee Valley. Never, never, never go wrong. Never.
Hope SWMBO reads this post.
Regards, Roy

Roy wrote:

May I quote you on that? :)
NiceToWoodworkers wrote:

I think so - or at least I'll agree. I can't imagine anyone who's seriously into woodworking who wouldn't find a Lee Valley gift certificate useful, to say the least. They also have a wish list function on their website, which was great for Christmas last year, and they have a large selection of gardening tools and equipment as well. LV is nearly unanimously well-respected on this newsgroup, and the owner cares enough to post here occasionally. Other reputable (in my opinion) woodworking stores include Rockler, Woodcraft, Infinity (infinitytool.com). If you're into hand tools, Japan Woodworker, Knight Toolworks, or Lie Nielsen. For a broader range of tools, Grizzly is one potential source with some good deals, but they don't have quite the top-notch personal customer service as the rest I've mentioned. Amazon.com is another, with some scattered good deals but even less customer service. Good luck, Andy

I'd rather you forwarded it to her so she can't miss it.... :>)
Actually, SWMBO gets gardening supplies from Lee Valley, so she rarely frowns on an order, since she gets her fix at the same time...that and the fact she's also does some woodworking herself. Had her own tablesaw, workbench, etc when I met her.
Here's a few other really good experiences besides Lee Valley...
A local store that does certificates, and also mail order, that I can recommend is The Cutting Edge. Just a customer, but have always had a good experience there. They stock much more than what is shown on line.
www.cuttingedgetools.com
The owner is a big supporter of the local club, a plane collector, a semi-neander and turner. TCE also sponsors Norm on our local PBS.
Lee Valley and The Cutting Edge probably get 50-60% of my tool/supplies money, plus TCE has some nice wood at times. Woodcraft is probably next on my $ list. I mail order them as the local store always seems to be out of stock of any sale item I want, and are 60 or so miles round trip. Other good experiences, but not on my routine list are Hartville Tool, Penn State Industries and the semiannual trip to Harbor Freight.
Oh, I almost forgot! McFeely's Square Drive Screws!!!!! Don't know if they have gift certificates, but they get some of my dough too.
Regards, Roy
Roy wrote:

cert! Yea! Make it for about $3000 and I'm all set... for now.
There is a thread on woodnet with people adding up the cost of their lee valley wishlist! I don't think anyone is under $2000!
NiceToWoodworkers wrote:

project is. For hardwood, I usually stock up on stuff like white oak (always usable). If I need a few sticks of doug fir, our hamlet has a fairly good stock of decent stuff (#1/2). Otherwise the yards that carry hardwood (Reel, Peterman) are an hour's drive to the San Bernardino area. I do go to the Borgs now and again and spend an hour trying to separate the firewood from the usable stuff. Once a year or so, somebody makes a mistake and some #1 fir comes in. At that point, I buy as much as I can afford. Their oak (red usually) is expensive while the rest of the hardwoods are... can't even remember if they carry anything else out here.
I also work with reclaimed woods. I have gotten used redwood decks and redwood and cedar siding. Works well.     mahalo,     jo4hn
"NiceToWoodworkers" wrote...

I'd like this:
http://tinyurl.com/lhpfr
...and a pair of Swedish bikini models to do all my sanding.
Thanks, and I'll be watching for the UPS truck!
-- Timothy Juvenal www.rude-tone.com/work.htm
I have a lifetime supply of junk that people have bought for me thinking that ...he is a woodworker, I will buy him a tool. IT DOES NOT WORK! My favorite gifts, for thost that must feed my woodworking habit, is a gift certificate. Woodcraft Supply is probably best since it covers so many areas of woodworking and tends to have good stuff as opposed to the big box stores.
Roy and Andy and Dave W: Exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you. I'll be researching the places you suggested and adding the links in tonight. The kind of mistake that Dave describes is exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to help people avoid.
Hambone Slim: I think the eBay gift certificates have you covered on the machinery itself. As to the other, I'll check with the place where I get my husband the short-shorts wearing pit crew girls. Maybe they're branching out....
Also, I found the FAQ for this group late last night and I'll be adding in some of the books listed there this evening.
http://www.spousalsponsorship.org/pages/woodworking / Here's how I'm doing so far. Am I getting it right? If anyone (and/or your spousal sponsor) wants to provide a short anecdote to fill the spots that say "need something here" feel free to email me. Put "woodworking" in the subject so I can find it in all my spam. If you look at the other pages, you'll see what goes there. They really add something fun to the pages, I think.