What are the clips called for holding a tabletop to the frame?

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:56:30 GMT, "Keith Carlson"

I don't disagree with that part at all, Keith.

Why? Not every situation is the same. I can definitely see situations where you'd want to do that.
If yer new, you should get into the habit of listening, learning...and then try it for YOURSELF...your OWN way.
A glued top would work fine...depending on a lot of variables, though.
Have a nice week...
Trent
βœ–

I won't disagree with you at all; I probably over-generalized. But in any situation with a wide top, supported under most of the top, there will be much more wood movement in the width (across grain) of the top than in supporting members, right? At some point this could break the glue bond or crack the top. Unless you're talking about glue only in the center.
Anyhoo, definitely agree about learning. Learn a lot here, and learning right now working on a coffee table for my living room.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Keith, you'll be happy to know I got some clips yesterday. Everyone can rest easy now. Southern Lumber for all you Bay Area guys...
dave
Keith Carlson wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

The correct nomenclature is "plough". A dado goes across the grain.

If I were you, which fortunately is not the case, I'd use crazy glue and sixteen penny galvy sinkers applied with a waffle head rocket hammer.
βœ–

Aha! Never knew that, always thought of it as a kerf in the apron, thanks Tom.
Even Paddy's Shellac gets a mention here: http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/woodworking/images/bedside_table.pdf
More on top attachment (including *why*) here: http://www.charm.net/~jriley/ttop.html and here: http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/wood_movement.htm
also here:
http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/Shave%20Mid-Month%20review.htm
In fact, with a purty PM type BS or a Unisaurus you might even be able to cut some blocks just like they show in the pics.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Of course, we thoroughly modern types do indeed make a kerf - with our biscuit joiner - for the clip to rotate into.
wrote in message...

Add pictures here
βœ–
They are called "buttons." I make them from scrap hardwood and hold in place with a one screw. There's another kind of fastener you can buy that looks like an "8." Using screw slots instead of a special fastener works too.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 08:10:33 -0500, "George"

Of course, you thoroughly modern types use the metal clips, which will fit in said kerf, as intended by Ikea, rather than using wooden buttons, as intended by god.
βœ–
Tom Watson wrote:

I'm more of a Figure 8's man myself. The real heavy gage (gauge David) ones. Not the wimpy pressed tin.
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
you read my mind...or was it the other way 'round?? <g>
dave
George wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
of COURSE I could make blocks! But I want the thinness of the clips, sweetheart!
dave
Groggy wrote:

http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/woodworking/images/bedside_table.pdf
Add pictures here
βœ–
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip
Greg...better keep ya back to the wall, and i'll mail ya some soap on a rope soon as i can get to the store. . .
keep ya eyes on em Greg, he tinks you're a sheila
traves
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message ..

He's from the Bay Area Traves, probably thinks a wispy shaving is a sack, back and crack job too.
I plonked him, all he wants is attention and isn't willing to do any research for himself/herself/itself.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–

hammer.
While I was in college back on the 60's I worked in a Pier 1 store, my job was to assemble "dinning" tables imported from Mexico. The used 3" long wood screws with slotted heads...I found a 20 oz claw hammer made fast work of assembly...
--
Rumpty

βœ–
Groovy, baby!
I'm also glad you aren't me.
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

This is the best thread ever!
I can't wait for the next gem of wisdom to appear! (I learned some actual things in a coffebreak atmosphere; I didn't know there is a difference between a wide plough & a dado! Who would'a thunk it?)
Add pictures here
βœ–