What are the clips called for holding a tabletop to the frame?

I'm more of a Figure 8's man myself. The real heavy gage (gauge David) ones. Not the wimpy pressed tin.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Groovy, baby!

I'm also glad you aren't me.

dave

Tom Wats> The correct nomenclature is "plough". A dado goes across the grain. >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

of COURSE I could make blocks! But I want the thinness of the clips, sweetheart!

dave

Groggy wrote:

Bay Area Dave

you read my mind...or was it the other way 'round??

dave

George wrote:

snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

This is the best thread ever!

I can't wait for the next gem of wisdom to appear! (I learned some actual things in a coffebreak atmosphere; I didn't know there is a difference between a wide plough & a dado! Who would'a thunk it?)

Reply to
dave martin

--snip--

I think this thread has convinced me of BAD's trollish nature. I'm new to woodworking, and it's obvious even to me that you'd never glue a top on a piece of furniture. Hard to believe Dave would be stupid enough to consider doing that, so apparently that was just bait.

Keith

-amused spectator

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Keith Carlson responds:

I wouldn't get too excited about either of them. Just to check, I ran two google checks on table top clips. One, just the words, brought up 595,000 hits. Using table+top+hits brought up 572,000 hits. It's quite possible the quotes would change it again.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

I don't disagree with that part at all, Keith.

Why? Not every situation is the same. I can definitely see situations where you'd want to do that.

If yer new, you should get into the habit of listening, learning...and then try it for YOURSELF...your OWN way.

A glued top would work fine...depending on a lot of variables, though.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Keith, you'll be happy to know I got some clips yesterday. Everyone can rest easy now. Southern Lumber for all you Bay Area guys...

dave

Keith Carls>>In article , Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I won't disagree with you at all; I probably over-generalized. But in any situation with a wide top, supported under most of the top, there will be much more wood movement in the width (across grain) of the top than in supporting members, right? At some point this could break the glue bond or crack the top. Unless you're talking about glue only in the center.

Anyhoo, definitely agree about learning. Learn a lot here, and learning right now working on a coffee table for my living room.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 18:40:00 GMT, Bay Area Dave Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

Greg...better keep ya back to the wall, and i'll mail ya some soap on a rope soon as i can get to the store. . .

keep ya eyes on em Greg, he tinks you're a sheila

traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

huh????/ the doublwide IS the shop dummy. jes slide the coffee table back and go to it! tv used to be beside the RAS but allas no mo tv. the lsat kickback on the table saw skeward the ol lady. she landed on the dog an killed him too. now they both gone and i sure do miss that dog. i was gonna have the shop out in the yard but then i would have to move all them thar wrecked vehicles ya know. might ruin the whole ambiance round here. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

LUNCH!!!!!!!!!! :-}

Reply to
skeezics

On 13 Nov 2003, snipped-for-privacy@home.com spake unto rec.woodworking:

To make matters even worser, yore sweetheart of country music, Wynonna Judd, done got herself in a bit of a scrape. They shore did capture the essence of her beauty when they took the mug shot, though.

Scott Cramer

Reply to
skeezics

He's from the Bay Area Traves, probably thinks a wispy shaving is a sack, back and crack job too.

I plonked him, all he wants is attention and isn't willing to do any research for himself/herself/itself.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy