Wet or Dry Sandpaper Multi-grit pack?

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:59:52 -0500, the infamous Bill

eBay. Go for a set of 2x6 diamond hones. I prefer DMT, but EzeLap or Chinese plates will work, too, especially since you're using ScarySharp paper last. I'm too lazy to be a purist any more so I skip grits and don't require a surface plate. Any old piece of MDF will do for me. 'Course, I can't split atoms when I wave my plane irons around, but that's -quite- OK by me.
http://fwd4.me/EgY Ten bucks for a 150/600 plate, delivered. I'd get one of these to keep in the truck but I sprung for a DMT paddle set last year.
Repairs go on the 300 grit plate. Dull irons hit the 600 first. Then I use 1,200 paper and use Lee Valley's green compound on a leather strop to finish up.
I believe I purchased my 1,200 grit paper at NAPA Auto Parts. If you don't have one handy, try any auto body shop supply. Most tool mart places have diamond hones, too, should you dislike eBay.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Generally you pay more for sandpaper in smaller quantities. I know WalMart sells 3M sandpaper packs in various grits. Home Depot sells Norton, which I don't think it is quite as good as the 3M. Buying 150 and 220 grit in 50-count packs would make sense--these grits are most often used. I keep extra papers weighted down to prevent the corner from curling--other than that, sandpaper doesn't have a shelf life. I like the cloth-backed sandpaper which is a red-pink color, more expensive, but it lasts 2 or 3 times longer than the paper type.