12000 grit mesh sandpaper

violin makers like to use 12000 grit mesh sandpaper

found it as polishing paper and rated in microns instead of grit

Reply to
Electric Comet

These pads go to 12000x

These sheets go to .5 micron approx. 9000x
John T

hubops

30+ years ago I worked in my spare time for a violin shop. They sold inexpensive Chinese violins to beginners but we always had to set them up properly, as well as rehair the bows. As the violins had been crudely varnished, we used a pumice/oil mix to rub them down and then rottenstone/oil to give them a softer gloss. Graham
Reply to
graham

was wondering when one would just go to a polish instead of these fine grits but i guess this stuff would be a dry application so perhaps that is the advantage

Reply to
Electric Comet

These superfine abrasives would be necessary if one is dealing with a fine instrument. One could use 60grit on a hillbilly fiddle:-) Graham

Reply to
graham

you misunderstand

when do you decide on a paste versus a really high grit paper

there are polishing papers for lenses for example but historically lenses used polishes polish was specified for a dobsonian telescope but a high grit polishing paper would also work i think

Reply to
Electric Comet

Those particular pads are designed for plastic. But MicroMesh does make a product for wood

Ralph E Lindberg

Electric Comet wrote in news:nci675$1bk$1 @dont-email.me:

I think you'd have a hard time getting the paper to conform well enough to the shape of the mirror. Usually telescope mirrors are polished using a blank with the complementary shape, with just a very thin layer of polishing compound.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

have you ever tried these

have yet to try mesh paper but it sounds like a sensible design and i have seen online that autobody shops really like the mesh

Reply to
Electric Comet

Yes. but depends on the wood. A real soft wood like Big Leaf maple it would make no difference. But a real hard wood like Kingwood or Rosewood I often 6000 to 12000. I always sand until I can't see any difference between the last grit and the current grit. Then I usually go one more girt

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I agree (and I have helped grind mirrors before, for a friends Newtonian)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

from time to time i work with wood and turned pieces that could benefit and take a high polish

will hve to try this brand then

Reply to
Electric Comet