Well I'm glad he cleared that up!

My new bandsaw (an 18" Jet) has a blade tensionong indicator that you can read on the inside and the outside of the upper wheel housing. It would be a nice feature - if the two scales agreed with each other.

So I asked Jet which if any was correct. I first got pointed to a 800 number, but as I live in Australia - that wasn't a lot of use. So they sent me the following:

"Regard the gauge for the tension on both inside and outside of the wheel is for your ref. for different width of blade , it is only for ref. re-set the different blade tension , normally you need to adjust the tension of blade by yourself till the blade is not losing when you cut your wood . It does a discrepancy on attaching the label gauge to the unit and cause both ( inside & outside ) reading is difference but it should not affect the function of this band saw . So we don't suggest you to return this unit due to one of the label is not in position , unless you have problem to operate this band saw . It will be highly appreciated if you would advise which dealer do you buy this unit from , and you could contact them at your convenient for your inquiry . "

I don't know why they didn't say that in the manual!

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

SNIP

SNIP

Huh? If you understood that clearly, I will be glad to call on your for assitance on the next Chiawanese tool I buy.

Something tells me that you didnt' do any better than me, though...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Wow! I don't think they could say that a second time; I certainly know I couldn't read it a second time.

I know and sympathize with those for whom a language is not their first language, but you would think a company with the resources Jet has could afford a proper translator or someone whose native language is one of their primary markets.

Mark & Juanita

Snip

Obviously their attorney sent you the information. Typical legal mumbo jumbo. :~)

Reply to
Leon

AMEN!!

Think of all the millions those guys have made.... would it be so expensive to hire a native language speaker for their English speaking market? That would take in Canada, USA, England, and so many other countries that teach English as a second language.

I don't get it...

And as for the manuals that come with the machines, even the translation services around here take on projects by the bid. It just couldn't be that expensive, and I am also thinking of all the dough they would save in tech support by having a manual that someone could understand.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

You read enough of this kind of thing, you may develop a learning disorder!

I used to work on electronics for recording studios. I was called in to troubleshoot some fancy new midi machine. They couldn't figure out how to do some simple function. They threw the manual at me and I thought it was some kinda joke. Nobody could figure out what it meant. I took it home and studied it awhile. I then wrote a translation for the few critical pages they needed and charged them a hefty fee.

They were delighted and hired me to do some more "translations" for them. I just took the literal Japanese to english translation and made it sould like real english. All the information was there. The syntax, word choices and grammer were not.

At one time some guys I knew were going to offer real english translations for the manuals for japanese manufactured muscial and recording gear. It never got off the ground. For the big bucks involved bringing this stuff to market, you would think somebody would care. But they don't.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

An indicator is an indicator not an instrument. Shows relative circumstances, which you can use as a starting point to get the blade adjusted for your timber, blade, and depth of cut. You knew that, I'm sure.

Care to imagine what it would cost to get a good tensioning/reading instrument in place which could stand the vibration, dust, and neglect in a home shop? Then there's .025 versus .030 1/4" blades, and "low-tension" rather than standard to compensate for....

Reply to
George

Maybe they really don't give a shit?

Reply to
Swingman

In that regard, and having recently scored a bandsaw blade tension meter from Iturra, if you own a large bandsaw that can utilize larger blades and don't want to buy one, it is well worth borrowing one just to see how far off these tack on "tension indicators" can be.

Reply to
Swingman

It could be worse. I once worked for a company that budgeted money to hire a translator for Indian patents...

Then they hired a consultant who told them what idiots they were.

Reply to
fredfighter

Reply to
Mike Berger

Damn.. that must be Chiwanesenglish"...

Good thing the 800 number didn't work.. I'd hate to have to HEAR that advice!

Mac

mac davis

Once did some well-paid work smoothing the English of translations from the Russian of scientific articles. Machines are only slightly less effective than people in making rough translations. I found myself consulting the original as often as the translation.

Reply to
George

I would guess that Jet sold Asian Pacific rights to a Hong Kong or Singapore outfit. Globalization....

Reply to
Perfection In Wood

Scratch the maybe.

Reply to
Prometheus

The past was not understandable. now is understandable by the word you write to translate from another language to his language that can be understood by many. Make the spelling not rong to so the mans and the womans can reed to. Not just one page but too. . Good it is done by you. Make a situation for you is good for them is good. For them to win is good for you, for you to win is good for them in the situation of the company. And for you. Again may you do this not in the past. but in a time frame suitable for then, not now. A time forward from this time to that time. .

We'd also like it in Spanish.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Evil, you are.

Reply to
Vic Baron

"Edwin Pawlowski" responded in drunken prose

Don't noknow (amy) spanixsh...

Ran out of moonshine through.

Spit me a bottle?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I recognise that, I was just curious as to which of the two indicators I should go by to begin with. I'd hate to damage the blade or machine or even me the first time I spun it up, never having owned/used one before. I also thought for the hard readies I laid out for the machine I'd have got something which had been checked for something as clotheardly simple as this.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Thanks for that I had no idea there was such a beast.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon