Well I'm glad he cleared that up!

Page 1 of 2

My new bandsaw (an 18" Jet) has a blade tensionong indicator that you can read on the inside and the outside of the upper wheel housing. It would be a nice feature - if the two scales agreed with each other.
So I asked Jet which if any was correct. I first got pointed to a 800 number, but as I live in Australia - that wasn't a lot of use. So they sent me the following:
"Regard the gauge for the tension on both inside and outside of the wheel is for your ref. for different width of blade , it is only for ref. re-set the different blade tension , normally you need to adjust the tension of blade by yourself till the blade is not losing when you cut your wood . It does a discrepancy on attaching the label gauge to the unit and cause both ( inside & outside ) reading is difference but it should not affect the function of this band saw . So we don't suggest you to return this unit due to one of the label is not in position , unless you have problem to operate this band saw . It will be highly appreciated if you would advise which dealer do you buy this unit from , and you could contact them at your convenient for your inquiry . "
I don't know why they didn't say that in the manual!
Mekon
Mekon wrote:
SNIP

SNIP
Huh? If you understood that clearly, I will be glad to call on your for assitance on the next Chiawanese tool I buy.
Something tells me that you didnt' do any better than me, though...
Robert

Wow! I don't think they could say that a second time; I certainly know I couldn't read it a second time.
I know and sympathize with those for whom a language is not their first language, but you would think a company with the resources Jet has could afford a proper translator or someone whose native language is one of their primary markets.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

AMEN!!
Think of all the millions those guys have made.... would it be so expensive to hire a native language speaker for their English speaking market? That would take in Canada, USA, England, and so many other countries that teach English as a second language.
I don't get it...
And as for the manuals that come with the machines, even the translation services around here take on projects by the bid. It just couldn't be that expensive, and I am also thinking of all the dough they would save in tech support by having a manual that someone could understand.
Robert

Maybe they really don't give a shit?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Scratch the maybe.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It could be worse. I once worked for a company that budgeted money to hire a translator for Indian patents...
Then they hired a consultant who told them what idiots they were.
--

FF

Once did some well-paid work smoothing the English of translations from the Russian of scientific articles. Machines are only slightly less effective than people in making rough translations. I found myself consulting the original as often as the translation.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net says...

Yes. What the consultant will never tell you is that the worst idea ever was hiring HIM. Oh, no. You don't need workers, you don't need staff nor contractors (who needs people that actually make stuff and do stuff and sell stuff?): you need MORE CONSULTANTS!
-P.
That's why you see this. They're taking the cheap route. A proper translation by someone with appropriate knowledge would cost more.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I used to work on electronics for recording studios. I was called in to troubleshoot some fancy new midi machine. They couldn't figure out how to do some simple function. They threw the manual at me and I thought it was some kinda joke. Nobody could figure out what it meant. I took it home and studied it awhile. I then wrote a translation for the few critical pages they needed and charged them a hefty fee.
They were delighted and hired me to do some more "translations" for them. I just took the literal Japanese to english translation and made it sould like real english. All the information was there. The syntax, word choices and grammer were not.
At one time some guys I knew were going to offer real english translations for the manuals for japanese manufactured muscial and recording gear. It never got off the ground. For the big bucks involved bringing this stuff to market, you would think somebody would care. But they don't.

The past was not understandable. now is understandable by the word you write to translate from another language to his language that can be understood by many. Make the spelling not rong to so the mans and the womans can reed to. Not just one page but too. . Good it is done by you. Make a situation for you is good for them is good. For them to win is good for you, for you to win is good for them in the situation of the company. And for you. Again may you do this not in the past. but in a time frame suitable for then, not now. A time forward from this time to that time. .
We'd also like it in Spanish.
Evil, you are.
wrote in message

Strong is the dark side in this one.

"Edwin Pawlowski" responded in drunken prose

Ran out of moonshine through.
Spit me a bottle?
<hic, hic, hicccuppp>

Obviously their attorney sent you the information. Typical legal mumbo jumbo. :~)

An indicator is an indicator not an instrument. Shows relative circumstances, which you can use as a starting point to get the blade adjusted for your timber, blade, and depth of cut. You knew that, I'm sure.
Care to imagine what it would cost to get a good tensioning/reading instrument in place which could stand the vibration, dust, and neglect in a home shop? Then there's .025 versus .030 1/4" blades, and "low-tension" rather than standard to compensate for....

I recognise that, I was just curious as to which of the two indicators I should go by to begin with. I'd hate to damage the blade or machine or even me the first time I spun it up, never having owned/used one before. I also thought for the hard readies I laid out for the machine I'd have got something which had been checked for something as clotheardly simple as this.
Mekon
... snip

Alright, the chinglish in your original posting was easier to understand than that phrase. :-)

"clotheardly", there's a new one on me too

(snip)
:)
You have never heard of having ready cash? AKA 'readies' AFAIR it is cockney slang, picked up watching too much Brit TV.
And as for 'cloth eared' I'll have to refer you to Monty Python..
"For how can a woman expect to appreciate a professor of logic if the simplest cloth-eared syllogism causes her to flounder." ( http://pressurecooker.phil.cmu.edu/logic.html )
Now if I'd used Australian slang, you would really have been in trouble!
e.g. Well these jokers put the bite on me for serious bickies there mate, so you'd reckon they gave the thing the once over before they dropped it in the ute. As for sending me that gobbledegook, a bloke deserves to get the right drum if he fronts with a question,. You reckon?
Translates as...
These fellows sold me a machine for a considerable amount of money. Given that, it is not unreasonable to expect that a proper inspection be carried out before the item was loaded into my vehicle. As regards the incomprehensible reply, a purchasor has a reasonable expectation that a correct reply will be written in standard English, don't you think?
Mekon (the multi slangual)