WAY O/T A/V program

Page 1 of 2
What anti virus do you all use? Seems my Symantec product wants me to send them some more money for another year. Seriously considering the free AVG.

Norton on my desktop. It would be NOD32 everywhere if Norton were not so difficult to remove. Maybe if I start a month or so in advance, I can get Norton exorcised.
Jim

Tim Taylor wrote:

Linux.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Believe me, I've seriously thought about that!!!! Or a Mac.
If enough people go that way, they will have just as much virus problem. Viruses are written for maximum effect. That means Windows.

Yea I realize that, but it seems to me Mac users along with Linux users are among the minority, at least for now. So, that's why I'm leaning away from Mr. Gates' and the popular Windows theme.
Tim Taylor wrote:

IIUC Windows has always eschewed Code-Data separation. That results in orders of magnitude more security 'holes' than in software written to 1980 industry standards.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

It'll be a cold day in you know where before Linux takes over from Windoze. The amount of additional knowledge required to properly maintain a Linux system will always be a deterrent to most. Not that it's hard to learn, but it requires more effort than many are willing to give.

Agreed. Unless you can get root/admin permissions on any Unix-ish system, it's difficult to destroy very much. Of course, that implies that the system was set up to take advantage of the security features.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:17:59 -0700, Larry Blanchard

As an aside- if the Linux world could get better at providing documentation with the programs (and perhaps it has, I haven't messed with it in a couple of years) it would be a lot more accessable. The thing that turned me off it was downloading a program and finding that it had no manual or installation instructions. Fine for basic stuff, I'm sure, but a lot of them wanted specific extensions when untarring, etc. Without any documentation, there was a lot of frustration involved in what should have been very simple tasks. Probably second nature to a Unix guy, but a steep learning curve that requires a lot of arcane knowledge for the average end-user.
If that was straightened out, I might consider using linux on one of my machines- but for now, windows is just fine.
Prometheus wrote:

Well FWIW I've downloaded Windows programs and found they had no documentaion or 'tautological' documentation--e.g. "the copy command is used to copy files form one location to another."
What is really needed is an easy-to-use user interface and there are a few.
Indeed, IIUC, Apple's newer OS is a GUI built on top of Linux. Port that to PCs and you're in business.
--

FF

Given the apparent plans for Windows Vista as far as code activation and other "Big Brother" features in that code, as well as the tightening grip of the new Office document format ("all your data are belong to us"); it is very possible that MSoft is going to start pushing people over the edge into the Linux world. I know that I will be very seriously looking at Linux for my next machine -- the only three apps that I have a problem with will be Mind Manager, Quicken, and TurboCAD. Everything else, there are alternatives in Linux. There may be Linux alternatives for Quicken, I just haven't looked very hard yet since I'm a ways off from having to upgrade computer systems.
One of the things that really pushed me was when I had to re-load my OS several months ago and the absolute pain of having to reinstall every application despite the fact that those apps were still present on the hard drive, they just didn't exist in the registry. Wouldn't have been an issue with a unix system -- just making sure the paths were correct and that if needed, the apprpriate license manager is running, and your back in business.
Good reads at www.gripe2ed.com
Note grammatical corrections (can't believe I did that!)

That should have said:
appropriate license
you're back in business
*snip*

Go with OS/2. You can attempt the same things people attempt now, and since it's so unpopular you don't have to worry about viruses!
Puckdropper

Always had Norton never had a problem. Latest seems great find everything I don't want but a bit of a pain in the ass to get up with out it asking questions. Yahoo offers a discount. Best to get CD then you can always have it instead of a file downloaded.

Tim Taylor wrote:

McAfee on my corp laptop. AVG Free on all of my own.
"Tim Taylor" wrote in message ...

AVG ... but all anti-virus software is is more or less a virus itself, albeit friendly.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/06

No doubt about it as anyone that has tried to uninstall Norton will attest to.

I don't think NAV has anything over AOL. LOL...

I treat them about the same when removing them: FORMAT C: /S
Puckdropper